Air Filters for Chonda 457cc engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased this generator and noticed the 457cc Chonda engine on it has foam air filters. This one in particular has a coarse foam filter on top of a fine foam filter. Having used other Chonda engines in the past on various equipment, I recall most used a pleated paper element.

I'm curious if one or the other is preferred, foam or paper? All my other OPE uses a paper filter with a foam pre-filter.

Do all these Chonda engines use the same size of filter and can one purchase a paper filter to replace a foam one? Or is the foam type better and I should leave it well enough alone? There is an image of the air filter housing showing size on the Amazon link. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

The foam is fine. If you want it to be slightly more effective you can put a light amount of oil on the outside foam element to catch the dust.

Foam is a great filter IF it is properly oiled. If not it is little more than a rock catcher that keeps large insects and small birds out. To properly oil a foam filter, first completely saturate it in oil, whatever you use in the engine is fine, then squeeze it all out, then wrap in a rag and squeeze more. It will leave all the holes in the foam coated with a film of oil, and that is what catches the dust.

If yu really want to make a effective filter use chain saw bar oil. Hard to wring out but gets dirty super fast. bad to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back