Honda generator oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently traded into a Honda EU2000i generator. Seems to run good on high idle but surges some on eco mode. I'm going to take the carb off and clean it , change the oil , spark plug and check over everything while I have it tore down. Looks like it calls for 10w-30 so I will probably stick with that and a 20 hour oci since I won't be using it a ton. What are you guys running as far as oil and weight?

My 3 aren't picky at all, whatever I have is what they get. Make sure after you shut it down you use the bowl drain in the bottom of the carb. It's a great feature to keep them from getting gummed up.

I didn't think it would be too picky as far as oil goes. Luckily I can get Ethenol Free gas close by and will be running that with PRI-G fuel additive as well. Luckily that's how I got it was because the carb needs cleaned and the previous owner didn't want to mess with it.

I use M1, 10W-30 in my EU2000i. That little generator has been working perfectly for years, through multiple hurricanes and other emergencies.

Last edited:
Super Tech 15w40 or Harvest King 15w40. 5w40 in the winter.
Air cooled engines run hot, and a 40 is much better suited for these.
Having been involved in Katrina cleanup, many gen sets running 30's failed in the hot humid NO weather running continuously.
Those running a 40-wt had a much lower failure rate.

I think Honda does a pretty nice job designing these to run as cool as possible, so any old 30wt variant changed at a reasonable interval will keep it running for a long time. Regardless, If I have a heavy-duty 40wt variant on hand, that's what I'd use in any OPE aside from a snowblower.

My champion generator calls for 10w30 and I dont believe your Honda is picky on the brand of 10w30. Just use a quality oil, 20hr change intervals go with conventional unless you buy a 5qt jug of super tech. I personally use super tech or napa

Once you clean the carb.. use 93 octane with stable or Chevron with techron to keep the gas fresh.

Last edited:
I like Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage for the 3.5 HTHS. Presently both of my generators have Rotella T6 5w-40 in the sump, but I may switch back to the Mobil 1.

I run the amsoil HDD because it has the HTHS of 3.5. And since it sits a lot between running, i like the tbn of 12.1

A 2nd the above comments about running a 40-wt in these small air cooled engines.
I've seen to many of these things overheat running thinner oils in near continuous operations.

I'm looking at a Westinghouse 4500 dual-fuel inverter, the manual specifies 10w-30 between 32f - 80f and 5w-30 below / 15w-40 above that range.

That seems to be a very narrow/specific range.

I'm planning to use it camping and also for emergencies at home (house already wired with a transfer switch with 30amp input).

So I foresee it being used anywhere between 0-110f.

Seems like a nice synthetic should cover that range, but I'm a software guy...not an oil guy.

If I really need to switch, could I get away with 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-40 in the summer or some other combination?

Yes! 10w40 would be even better...since it IS less possible that it IS energy conserving ILSAC/API %@#&*~ (with other words it has higher HTHS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back