Stihl HT 50 CE Pole Pruner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy one for trimming trees on my properties. It will probably be used about 5-10 times a year. Has anyone had any experiences with this, or any models of Stihl pole pruners? I currently use my FIL's Ryobi battery powered pole pruner and I think it is decent. My main complaints are that the battery runs out of power quickly and is lacking in power. I do like the fact that it is very quiet compared to a gas powered pruner. However, I'd take extra power and longer run time over quiet.

You must have a lot of trees! We use Stihl pole pruners at my workplace and they are excellent. The nature of the beast makes them very unbalanced, so they can be hard on the back with extended use. Like many chainsaws, they seem to leak bar oil when sitting around - plan for the mess. Like most dedicated tools, they sit unused for long spells, but are wonderful when needed. Renting seems like a good solution, if available. You could prune a ton of branches in a half day.

We also use simple manual pole saws with the super sharp curved blades. You can go much higher and with some effort can even do larger branches 4"+. The sharpness and cutting ability of good blades is phenomenal.

An example: https://www.amazon.com/Notch-40207-...&hvtargid=pla-464454045253&psc=1

Thanks, doitmyself. I don't have all that many to prune, but tools get borrowed a lot in my family. I'll look into the manual pole saws. I actually didn't even think to look at those.

Here's a thought that my local Stihl dealer shared with me. He said why buy one? He suggested I buy new chain that will work on the one the local rental place rents out. Rent it and swap out your new chain with
the one that comes on it (usually dull) and do your trimming. When you are finished, remove your chain and put their old one back on.

This works like a charm for my situation.

They are nicely designed units, but are pricey for sure! With your usage you may just want to get a cheapo one or rent one.

Sometimes having a high quality tool on hand at all times is completely worth the price of admission. You have to look at it like an investment.

I also don't care to deal with rental places return times, the drive there and back twice, and dull/leaky/abused equipment you tend to get.

It literally just depends how many $$ that convenience/time savings is worth to you.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back