Troybilt Pony ride on dropped dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some direction. I was mowing the grass with a Troybilt Pony ride on. I did hit a large stone that my grandson left in the grass but the mower continued to operate normally. About ten minutes later the mower died. It just shutdown and doesn't even turn over. I was thinking that it might be the dead man switch under the seat. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Could it be the ignition switch?

There are also interlock switches in the clutch/brake pedal, Fwd/N/Rev selector, and the PTO lever. Does it "clunk" when you turn the key to start it?

I'd check for fuel first (because it's easy). Once you've eliminated that, start checking with your voltage meter until you find the problem.

I checked fuel first but even if it was out or no supply it should still turn over. Turning the key produces nothing. No clicking or turning over at a all, just dead. I guess I have a lot of stuff to check and eliminate one at a time.

Raise the seat, and check the fuse!

Do the lights work when the switch is on?

My brother's was acting up not cranking no nothing except for the lights working. Changed the ignition switch, and then the lights did not work. It was blowing a fuse. Turns out he bought one of the China copy switches that did not work. Put the real switch on, changed the fuse, and it cranked right up.

First things first. There is a fuse on the battery that might have blown.

After that, check interlocks.

I had something similar happen with a Troy-Bilt Pony. I was mowing close to dark and ran over a large root that I thought I had removed. It stopped running soon after. It would crank back up and run for a while and then suddenly stop again. Once I jacked the mower up I saw what had happened. The root had bent one of the blades. The mower would run fine until I drove over a part of the yard where the dirt was slightly higher. At that point, the blade would dig into the ground and the engine would suddenly stop. I changed the blade and all was well.

For anyone interested, I started to go through the mower today. I started with the ignition switch, the easiest, and the wires had become unplugged. Plugged the switch in and it started right up. Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by DaHen
Good. Thanks for the update.

Yes, thanks, many times we never hear what happens.

The rock damage on the blade may have increased the vibration enough to work the plug loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back