Ended up buying a Snapper

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a real Snapper, but it is labeled as such; so I can't argue that point too much.

Here's a real Snapper :

7800980_SNP_P2185020_LF-low.jpg

Make sure you pull the pull cord slowly until you feel a large resistance. If you don't it will jerk pretty hard occasionally, my Toro timemaster has that engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the average homeowner with a small-med sized yard, that mower will do just fine and should last for many years. Being a Briggs and you're in Texas, I'd use a 15w40 HDEO (SuperTech, Rotella, Delo, etc.) The HDEO will help considering it's an air-cooled engine with minimal cooling. 25-hour OCI and let her cut!

Last edited:
I have a customer with one of those, and he likes it. He hasn't had any issues with it and it is very comfortable to use.

I have the same mower but the model just before this. Same "never change oil engine" I changed my oil after about 5 hours it was black and very watery. After it was broken in and changed oil. the engine had lots more power. Where it was bogging down going through high thick grass it now just cuts great.

Yours has one lever to adjust cutting height of all wheels at the same time. Mine adjust individually. My friend has your same model.

Always starts 1st or 2nd pull. They guarantee that or take it back.

The self propelled feature works great and makes it so much easier.

Never used the bag. I always mulch.

Very good and powerful mower. Just a little bit louder then my Craftsman that it replaced.

Originally Posted By: old1
That Wal-Mart Snapper is actually a Murray in Snapper dress.

Say it ain't so ! It is a cross dresser!

Originally Posted By: Stevie
I have the same mower but the model just before this. Same "never change oil engine" I changed my oil after about 5 hours it was black and very watery. After it was broken in and changed oil. the engine had lots more power. Where it was bogging down going through high thick grass it now just cuts great.

Yours has one lever to adjust cutting height of all wheels at the same time. Mine adjust individually. My friend has your same model.

Always starts 1st or 2nd pull. They guarantee that or take it back.

The self propelled feature works great and makes it so much easier.

Never used the bag. I always mulch.

Very good and powerful mower. Just a little bit louder then my Craftsman that it replaced.

Biggest thing is it is self propelled and a B&S engine . Even though ti has the never change oil hype .

How do you dump the oil ? Turn it upside down and let it drain out the place you fill it from / at ?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
How do you dump the oil ? Turn it upside down and let it drain out the place you fill it from / at ?

You can, but better is a oil syphon pump that removes the oil - made for small engines, cheap on Amazon or Ebay, and they work!

Originally Posted By: old1
That Wal-Mart Snapper is actually a Murray in Snapper dress.

More like a husquvarna or mtd in snapper clothes. Briggs owns snapper and Murray.

This mower has a larger B&S engine , than the self propelled models in the $ 250 price range + variable speed drive , I think . I got it unboxed & oil put in it . Think it said to dump the oil after the initial 5 hours . I should have some 5W-30 dino oil that will get put back in it . I also have NAPA 5W-30 synthetic . Would that be better ?

It came with a bottle of 30 weight B&S single weight oil . Have not put gas in it , have not started it , yet .

Think the engine is OHV . First OHV mower I have ever had . I would think it would be more powerful than the old flat head B&S engines ?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Have not put gas in it , have not started it , yet .

Think the engine is OHV . First OHV mower I have ever had . I would think it would be more powerful than the old flat head B&S engines ?

So fire it up already, and give us a full report / review.
grin.gif

My backup 21" mower is a Troy Bilt TB280-ES with the Briggs 190. It's a fine mower also, and seems to have plenty of power. Wish I could help answer your question, but I don't have anything around with an old Briggs flat head.

Last edited:
I was wrong , I think it is a B&S 175cc .

Wednesday PM , bought some fresh 100% Unleaded & filled it up . Previously had dumped in the little bottle of B&S 30 weight dino oil .

Younger son gave the rope a pull & started on the 1st pull ! :)

So , we know it runs . :)

This mower has variable speed drive . 100% is FAST . In the little spot he mowed , he did not get it down pat . I suggested he wait until Saturday morning to do any more . It was HOT ! Figured it would be cooler in the morning .

This is the owners manual . I purchased the manual start model . Not the electric start model .

https://smedia.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/c...wnload-resource

Great engine. Likely 50-60% more power than a Briggs flat head engine. Conventional 5W30 should be avoided. Synthetic 5W30 is good stuff and will work good in that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back