Question regarding oil for a Yard Machine 608

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) What specific oil do you recommend for this lawn tractor?

2) I've read about people supplementing mower/chainsaw oil with vegetable oil. What are your thoughts/recommendations on this?

I'd use any reasonably cheap API-rated SAE 30 that I could find. (Probably Formula Shell or Chevron Supreme).
Barring that, I'd use a cheap 10w30, probably Napa, Supertech, Formula Shell or Chevron Supreme. If you wanted to splurge, you could use Rotella T5 10W30 or any synthetic 10w30, but I probably wouldn't bother. Many OPE engines are lucky to EVER get an oil change, so you're already ahead of the game. I'd use dino changed yearly, and sleep well. And I wouldn't add any vegetable oil either.

35.gif
36.gif
coffee2.gif

And from the 40 weight club?

Last edited:
How old is the tractor? If it's newer, it calls for 5w-30 or 10w-30 full synthetic in all temperatures, with single grade 30 suitable above 40 degrees only. Those B&S engines will eat up conventional multi-grades, except maybe Rotella. Use vegetable oil if you want to "fry" the motor.

Originally Posted By: AshleyQuick

2) I've read about people supplementing mower/chainsaw oil with vegetable oil. What are your thoughts/recommendations on this?

Where did you see #2. That seems like it would be an interesting read.

Dont add any soy sauce, salt, pepper, or any other flavorings. Leave the oil alone.

SAE30 oil of your choice. Done. I like Wal-Mart SuperTech, its cheap and it works.

Just threw an XG2870A on my cousins Briggs with some Kendall Super-D XA 15w40. Runs like it did before the change
12.gif

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: AshleyQuick

Where did you see #2. That seems like it would be an interesting read.

I was mistaken. The vegetable oil idea is an alternative for chainsaws: https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/98511316/98511316.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back