Snow Blower Chute Build-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking to replace the light on my snow blower (Amazon proved least expensive). On Amazon, when viewing a product, they show a number of other products related, in some way, to what you’re viewing

With this light, a DuPont Teflon spray came up... $10+

Wouldn’t that Pam cooking spray work the same? Or would it get “cleaned” off within minutes?

Anyone ever try this or similar product to prevent build-up in the discharge chute?

What do you use, if anything?

People use many sprays from Pam to Pledge to silicone sprays to snowblower sprays.

Some has to do with how smooth the paint surface is if the auger and chute.

Maybe Fluid Film? I get a lot of build up in the wheel wells of the Matrix and may try something like this to help the issue.

The DuPont Teflon spray is available locally for about $6 a can. It goes on clearance each spring at 90% off. I've got 3 or 4 cans on the shelf now. Also works on shovels, gutters, and plows. Works great.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Maybe Fluid Film? I get a lot of build up in the wheel wells of the Matrix and may try something like this to help the issue.
]

Make sure it doesnt get on your tires! I have same issue.. driving in deepish snow usually results in throwing balancing off on the car and buildup in wheel wells. I might just re-spray rubberized rocker guard material on top in spring or summer to see if it helps reduce buildup..

OP,

I heard people recommend to use Ski Wax.

I have a 100 feet of gravel drive way. It doesn't get muddy and is pitched so it drains but my low riding bucket scoops up enough pebbles to shot blast the chute. I was out earlier and scraped and tossed the glop amazingly well. It would occasionally bog and clog but throwing in the clutch would give the impeller some extra oomph and it would clear out. Just as I was parking the blower in the shed, the chute lost a piece of the ring gear. I have a spare chute, I even gave it a heavy coat paint inside. It is together, functions normally, and is gassed up with fresh 93 octane and a glug of MMO. I'm planning to go back out about 9 PM to clear anything I can before it freezes solid. Very much liking how the Predator plays with the 40 yr old Ariens.
grin2.gif

Buy a Krazy Karpet and mold it to fit the chute. It's extremely slippery, very tough, cold resistant and easy to work with. I put one on my 2007 Simplicity snowblower when it was brand new. It is still working well. Sprays will not stop abrasion from gravel nor rust from salt after the paint is removed. Nor will spray be effective once the surface is rusted.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Buy a Krazy Karpet and mold it to fit the chute.

I like this idea... how did you fasten it the chute?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I just tried FF tonight and it seems to work okay.

There were existing holes in the chute that I used. Two at the bottom and one at the top. I used the bolt that controls the deflector to hold it at the top. Not sure if the picture shows it well but I also attached a stainless steel plate to the underside of the deflector and a couple inches of plastic to extend the deflector a bit. If you don't have holes, just drill some. Use stainless steel fasteners.

The trick to forming it is to take a length of 2x4 and bend the plastic over the wood. Use a propane torch or other heat source to make the plastic pliable to form the 2x4 and clamp it there till it cools. Once it's taken shape, it will fit inside the chute. Fasten it tightly inside the chute or hold it in place with clamps then use a utility knife to trim the excess protruding beyond the edges of the chute.

If anything, this modification will not only eliminate snow sticking to the chute, it will also improve throwing distance.

The rubber impeller mod also greatly increases performance and throw in older 2-stage blowers.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The rubber impeller mod also greatly increases performance and throw in older 2-stage blowers.

I think it's called a "Clarence Kit" and it is very effective on anything that has a substantial gap between the housing and the impeller.

Higher quality units usually have fairly close tolerance between impeller and housing. I think the Simplicity that I owned had maybe 1/8th inch clearance, which is fairly tight. The old Craftsman machines I had owned before that had anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8 inch clearance. Ridiculously sloppy.

With the same horsepower engines, the Simplicity would throw twice the distance of the Craftsman machines I owned. Some of that was likely due to the chute liner which was not only slipperier but also slightly straighter than the stock chute because I didn't mold it exactly to the shape of the chute. The straighter configuration seemed to have contributed noticably to reduce overall friction.

Honda machines are among the longest throwing machines I've ever seen and my neighbour had a new one. It was truly impressive. With the chute mod, my Simplicity could go head to head with the Honda and for half the price!

1. I painted the inside of my 30yr old chute with some teflon paint. Works great, however, gravel strips some off so I repaint every few years. The inside plastic cover would be a great addition to any blower that doesnt have it from start. Modern shapes of chutes are slimmer, straighter, longer and sometimes lined with plastic. My chute is short, fat with a very short adjustable flap
2. Also added rubber flaps to the propeller. Also a great addition, makes the biggest difference with heavy, slushy snow which is also where the chute paint makes the most difference.

Lots of dry snow is never a problem and requires no mods really.

"Lots of dry snow is never a problem and requires no mods really."

That's true,especially with powerful modern blowers.

However, end of driveway snow is usually always a mix of snow, gravel & salt which is often moist, heavy and most damaging to the chute. This type of snow happens every time a plow goes by and that happens every time it snows sufficiently. Dry, wet or otherwise.

That's the main reason I lined the chute. To protect it mostly from gravel. When the wet heavy snow does come, it never sticks to the plastic where on occasion it did stick to the painted steel chutes of other blowers I owned.

Any other performance advantages are a bonus.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
end of driveway snow is usually always a mix of snow, gravel & salt which is often moist, heavy and most damaging to the chute.

If you blow the snow out of the road before the snow plow comes thru...you wont have any in the driveway.

Quote:
If you blow the snow out of the road before the snow plow comes thru...you wont have any in the driveway.

Doesn't always work that way.
I backcut the snow at the curb for a car length or more and the
driveway still gets some build up from the city plow.
Plus, they generally plow during the evening around here, or early
morning before most folks are up and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back