Toro Single State 2 Stroke- What Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local farm store carries Amsoil Saber, Interceptor, and Dominator 2 stroke oils. Which one of these would be the best to run at 50:1 in this late 90's vintage Toro single stage thrower I just acquired?

I know the Saber stuff claims to be good at 80-100:1 ratios, but I would rather mix it at the 50:1 conventional level.

Last edited:
any of the 3 would be excellent. the dominator is geared towards max durability in competition conditions, the interceptor will burn cleaner. i have no experience with the saber...but i have no desire to run as little oil as 80:1...perhaps i waste oil but my old husky snowblower, backpack blower, chainsaws, and line trimmer run cleanly at 50:1...very little carbon on piston crowns and good durability (the line trimmer is 12 years old now)..
i dont use amsoil premix but they are excellent oils.

i guess to answer your question i would run the interceptor..no smoke, very little scent, and exceptional overkill durability in your application. one drawback to interceptor is thats its kind of golden, you cant tell if its mixed or not. be sure to mark your cans as you should anyway.

Probably have the same model, I use the cheapest oil to mix. Those Toro's throw the snow farther than anything else I have seen.

My CCR2000 must be about 23 years old now. I've run Saber for the past couple of years at something between 80-100:1 without any issues. For a couple of years before that, I ran Interceptor at 50:1, and that was fine, too. I still have a nearly-full bottle of G-Oil 2-stroke that worked fine, as well. No need for a new machine yet; gotta love Suzuki 2-stroke engines.

I would get some Echo red armor, home depot or dealers sell it.
It includes fuel stabilizers.

I also have some "meets jaso fd" g-oil that I used for years and everything ran perfectly.

I like that both have strong colors so you can easily tell that it was added to the gas.

Echo is bright red, the G-oil is bright green.

The best thing you can do for the toro is to put a tach on it and adjust it to the proper RPMS.

Mine was only at 3200 and IIRC the spec is 3550-4050
I cranked it up (you just bend the linkage slightly)
and boom throws snow like a banshee

Last edited:
I've used them all and have been happy with all of them so I would go with price on this Amsoil product. That said I'm using Interceptor in my Leaf Blower and it has had the same E-10 gas oil mix in it for 2 years now because someone decided to fill it and not use it all. Fired right up no issues and ran great.!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
To be honest.... I use whatever is cheap (usually SuperTech) in everything, even my $600 chainsaws.

I agree. Never used expensive boutique oils in any of my equipment, including my Toro 221 two cycle. I've also got two $800.00 Jonsereds saws that are 30+ years old as well an numerous other two cycle engines that are anywhere from 40 to 5 years old, all still running strong. Nothing but conventional two cycle oil run in everything. Paying big bucks for oil is a scam unless the engine is used for extreme applications or racing.

Thanks everyone. Got the bottle of interceptor. My string trimmer uses the same mix ratio and those are my only two stroke machines.

I would use the Sabre, you can mix at 50:1 if you prefer. Amsoil claims "up to " 100:1, but you can still mix at the oem ratio just fine.

Since you already bought the Interceptor, it should work great.
Only reason I recommend the Sabre over the Interceptor for small engine applications is, Sabre has fuel stabilizer formulated in it.

I have used all the Amsoil ratios on their various 2 stroke oils for economy and all my equipment that is 2-stroke has 0 starting issues even with old gas and the engines are clean and run very well. It's the only reason I spend the money to use their stuff. The Walmart Super-Tech stuff is really good too. I know my dad uses that. But where I am the cost for the ratio I would have to run Super-Tech versus Amsoil at makes Amsoil less expensive at their ratios. Just FWIW.

I was getting wet exhaust (spooge) with saber @ 50:1. Decided to call it quits and switched to red armor 50:1 , I like the way it runs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnD2
I was getting wet exhaust (spooge) with saber @ 50:1. Decided to call it quits and switched to red armor 50:1 , I like the way it runs.

"Spooge", a new technical term?

I use Amsoil Saber in my Lawn-Boy mowers mixed at around 65:1 (according to my rough calculations). Don't have a snowblower, though (thank God I don't need one LOL).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: johnD2

"Spooge", a new technical term?

nothing new about the term , look it up.

Originally Posted By: khittner
My CCR2000 must be about 23 years old now. I've run Saber for the past couple of years at something between 80-100:1 without any issues. For a couple of years before that, I ran Interceptor at 50:1, and that was fine, too. I still have a nearly-full bottle of G-Oil 2-stroke that worked fine, as well. No need for a new machine yet; gotta love Suzuki 2-stroke engines.

+1, my 1987 model is still going strong.

I use Amsoil Saber in my Stihl backpack blower year round in temperatures below freezing. I miss it at 2oz per gallon which is 64:1 (128 ounces of gas divided by 2 ounces of oil).

Starts great, runs great. I do let the blower idle for a minute or so when temps are colder than 40f or so and then take it easy to let the engine come up to temperature before locking the throttle wide open.

I had one of those single stage Toro snow blowers about 25 years ago. It was a great unit for light weight snow and ran will on anything really. Very dependable and easy starting. I'd say you'd probably be ok with anything but the Amsoil Saber surely wouldn't hurt you. The Saber is exactly what I would run if it were mine.

You can run Sabre at 50:1 but you will get unburnt oil coming out the exhaust. It works best at the higher ratios of 80:1 or 100:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back