Lawn Vacuum Engine Replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Yard Machine that I posted about previously and fixed thanks to lots of feedback

Briggs Engine Code: 12h802-1777-d1 02092557

Yesterday, while running, I heard a noise and shut it down

I don’t know what the part is called but:

*. The carb screws onto a plate - 2 screws

*. The plate is bolted into the engine - 2 screws

One of the bolts which fastens the plate to the engine sheared off.

I tried extracting the remainder of bolt but failed... drilled more meat out and I tried to tap a new 1/4-20 but did a [censored] job of it and am now waiting for the lock tight to cure

Questions:

1. The engine piece onto which this plate attaches is called...what? Ideally, this piece gets replaced if possible. It has the cooling fins on it
2. Alternative I’ve been considering is simply replacing the engine with something from Harbor Freight... I wouldn’t even know where to start: I’m guessing this vacuum, like a lawn mower, is a vertical shaft? And there’s all sorts of measurements on harbor freight web site... what would these refer to?

Sorry for such cryptic info... spent hours and accomplished absolutely nothing so a little burnt out and crabby

Thank you

That is a common failure on the B&S engines. Since you messed up the threaded hole, which is also very easy to do in the aluminum block, you can tap it out to a 5/16th thread and enlarge the hole in the plate. But, the part is the engine block, so to replace it it is cheaper to replace the engine. You will have to take the engine off and measure the crankshaft to get the right engine, OR, take the engine numbers to a Briggs dealer, and if he is helpful he can look it up and tell you what the original engine specs are.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Go to Napa and geg a Keen-sert to properly repair the threads.

Or Time-Sert, or Heli-Coil... there are options here.

Correct crankshaft for Type Number 1777 is:
Briggs & Stratton 694478

694478.jpg

Finz - If you replace the engine, you'll need an engine with that same crankshaft measurement.

A good internet source for OPE parts is Jack's Small Engines. Try Google. Jack's has parts diagrams so long as you know your Yard Machine model number. They also have good service and prices.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
A good internet source for OPE parts is Jack's Small Engines. Try Google. Jack's has parts diagrams so long as you know your Yard Machine model number. They also have good service and prices.

I have had good and bad results with Jacks. I might still go to them but would not be the first place I called for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back