Fuel injected generator - advantages

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the advantages for a fuel injected generator vs carburetor equipped ?

ie.

1. No more clogged carb due to storage ?
2. Better fuel economy ?

What about disadvantages ?

If thinking of a standby go with propane with a auto exerciser.
My experience with smaller fuel injected engines is they start way easier and seem way more responsive to load. The negative is the brain box is expensive if it fails.

How often are you going to use it. If it is once every 5 years, simpler is better assuming you do not leave any gas in it. Zero gas in the carb, and bottom of the fuel tank.

Last edited:
The primary disadvantage with a seldom used engine is that you get an enormous increase in complexity with the benefit of easier starting, in that the FI engine will either start or it won't along with likely lower fuel consumption.
Carburetors are fairly simple assemblies and a carbureted engine can usually be coaxed into life with a little fiddling if it hasn't been run for a while.
Why go for a vast increase in cost and complexity in a backup genset?

A carb is happy at one speed and a consistent load. Perfect for generators or lawnmowers. I could see a go cart or pit bike benefiting from FI.

My newest lawnmower has a tight EPA-approved fuel system without much ventilation. This keeps the lighter parts of gas from evaporating off and it starts right up in the spring. I do use sta-bil for its part but keeping gas dry and dark has its advantages. This should be the approach generator makers follow as well... plus maybe add a second petcock to drain the tank.

Originally Posted By: henni
What are the advantages for a fuel injected generator vs carburetor equipped ?

ie.

1. No more clogged carb due to storage ?
2. Better fuel economy ?

What about disadvantages ?

Go for propane if you want simple and reliable.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Go for propane if you want simple and reliable.

+2 and if you're ferrying fuel in your car daily propane won't stink it up.

So long as your supplier has a generator, or you can find an exchange place.

What would it take to rig a generator to a junker car engine and trans.Make a shed for it in back of the shop. Use exhaust heat to heat water. The engine has only 128 HP. It is 2.7L 6 cyl BMW engineered for economy. I could loaf it along at 1200 RPM and put the trans in D, which is an OD. Hhhhmn. The gears are whirling.
grin2.gif

So the noble old 528e is officially done?
Sorry to hear that.
Two Camrys?
Welcome to the dark side, LOL.

I bought that '88 back in '96 with 150 K on it. I drove it for 12 yrs and 200 k more miles.It retired back in '08 due to rust I had another 2 '88s and a pair of '88 parts cars I had 2 or 3 528es on the road for about 8 yrs just after the turn of the millennium. I'm parting all but 1 528e to keep for sheet metal and other good stuff for a fairly intact '83 533i. That is gonna be my "toy"
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back