How long are your mower batteries lasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering how many seasons or months you guys are getting out of your rider mower batteries. My Cub is just at two years old and the battery is starting to go south. Mower wouldn't start last weekend without help from a charger, that was after not being used for about three weeks. I checked the voltage the day after I mowed and it was at 12.7 but today, 5 days later, it was down to 12.3 and would barely start the mower.

Charge fully overnight then start. Measure battery voltage while running.

I just bought a Wall Mart battery for my lawn tractor replacing an identical battery after only 2 years. I noticed they are being made in Columbia.The Johnson Control walmart battery of the same age on another machine is still going strong.

A coworker recently had the battery go dead on his rider between cuts. He noticed that he had stacked something on the seat during that time, and the only thing we can figure is that the ignition circuit was energized by the weight on the seat activating the seat safety switch. I wouldn't think it would matter if the key were off, but that's the only thing that remotely makes sense.

Just something else to think about.

Mowers with electric blade clutches have a somewhat real electrical / charging system with a voltage regulator. Those without usually only have an unregulated charging coil which can over or under charge.

My first one lasted 4 years, then I got an Odyssey PC 625 and it's never had a problem since for the last 14 years. I don't even need to boost it in the spring.

Thanks guys. I think I try to finish out this season then replace it next year. I might even do what I do with the old Pontiac's battery. Every winter, it stays disconnected and hooked to a charger that is on a wall timer set to come on for 1 hour a day.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Charge fully overnight then start. Measure battery voltage while running.

I fully charged it last weekend when it wouldn't start and tested when running at 14.1v

Originally Posted By: exranger06
If you don't keep a maintainer on it over the winter, 1-2 years is typical. With a maintainer, 3-5 years is attainable.

I don't use a maintainer but do charge the battery once a month during the winter. The mower was stored in my workshop which never drops below 40 degrees

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
12.3v and barely starting the motor? Sounds like your losing a cell. What brand?

It says MTD products, made in USA, no other name.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think another cause of short life is the vibration a mower battery receives.

My yard is one acre and pretty rough. My wife also took care of the next door neighbor's acre so it could have been beaten to death.

I'm on 6yrs with the one in my Craftsman LT2000 rider. I keep a cheap HFT trickle charger on it over the winter.

My battery died a few weeks ago. Date sticker on it said it was made in 2010, 7 years not bad. I do remove it during the winter to store it in the garage with a slow charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back