Subaru V-twin engines

Does anyone run one of these?

I was looking at a 25hp air cooled V-twin Subaru, I like that it has a big 1-7/16 keyed shaft, they say it has an oversized PTO side bearing, 30 amp charging system and the price.
But I noticed its like 40% of the weight of a comparable 25hp engine made by briggs or Honda. The briggs vanguard is like 170 pounds and the Hondas are not too far behind.
Does any one know if these engines shake them selves apart or have some horrible secret I should know about?

The only name brands I have been disappointed by and have herd bad things about were the Yamahas.

Last edited:
Should be a fine engine. I'd question those weight specs. ~170lbs seems heavy for a Vanguard even.

In regards to the Yamaha comment, I don't believe I've ever seen a Yamaha OPE engine in the states. I know their snowblowers are beasts and super expensive however.

Originally Posted By: JTK

In regards to the Yamaha comment, I don't believe I've ever seen a Yamaha OPE engine in the states. I know their snowblowers are beasts and super expensive however.

Not common in the States but they are available here https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/yamaha-engines/default.aspx

Yamaha does sell generators, trash pumps, & power washers here but for whatever reason not their snow throwers.

Ok maybe I am comparing apples to oranges.
Some sites may be showing dry weight of the engine only and other places may be showing the overall shipping weight with the crate, packing and instruction manual, dead bugs and all.

Where is a good place to get sabaru small engine parts?
Such as oil/air filters, fuel pump and carb stuff?

I prefer cheap and easy to get parts, but that 30 amp sabaru charging system is really whats selling it to me.

Honda offers a GX690 with a 27 amp charger, but I cant seem to find any.

I'd believe Subaru being more expensive parts wise buto not honda.

Honda, briggs, and kohler are by far the most common ope engines that I see. Kawasaki a close forth but mostly on zero turn mowers.

Update. Glad I didn't get the subaru.
In 2016 they were everywhere, but now I can find them.
It's like subaru was making a run for the US market and it appears to have not been successful.

Update. Glad I didn't get the subaru.
In 2016 they were everywhere, but now I can find them.
It's like subaru was making a run for the US market and it appears to have not been successful.
Well Yamaha bought Subaru’s small engine. It was for a patent is all I know.

Yamaha wanted to get in the zero turn game. I’ve seen a few, never in person.

Back