Lovin' the Etec!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an Evinrude 40hp Etec that is about 5 years old, and I just winterized it. After loading it on the trailer, you just do a simple throttle sequence on ingition and in about 2 minutes or so, it fogs itself and shuts down. So easy. I just top off the oil reservior every year with Evinrude XD100, of which it really sips very little. Glad I went with the XD 100 setting instead of the 50. Yeah, it is more expensive, but reduced usage is great!

This wonderful experience made me reflect on 5 wonderful years of ownership of this outboard. Evinrude should have won awards for this system. I watch friends either make a complete mess changing the oil/filter and winterizing their 4 stroke outboards, or worse, paying hundreds of dollars to have a dealer do it every year. If warm weather returns for a spell, they either have to do through the fogging again, or miss the fishing opportunity (none of them will do it, so they miss the chance, unless they go with me). With that Etec, you just go back out, fire it up, fish, then winterize it again at the boat ramp.

The only dealer maintenance required (which could be done by someone with basic mechanical ability at home, if desired) is to take it in every 3 years for a gear case oil change, spark plugs, water pump impeller, and lower unit gear oil change.

This is the lowest maintenance outboard I've owned. Funny thing is, and most people can't digest this, it has lower emissions than the 4 strokes, and better fuel economy, yet it still has the power of a 2 stroke. People can't wrap their heads around the fact a 2 stroke is the cleanest burning outboard.

Anyway, this little marvel has been 100% reliable and cheap to own. Btw, the fuel economy is pretty amazing, too. When I bought it, the boat came with a 6 gallon gas tank. I asked the dealer to add another to the deal and he told me to go fishing/boating with it before buying an additional tank. He insisted I wouldn't need it. He was right. This thing will run all day, even pulling tubes, on a 6 gallon tank. I'm still impressed with the efficiency of this thing, years later.

Anyway, if you are thinking of a new outboard, I'd highly recommend checking the Etecs out.

Last edited:
Wonderful until it has injector trouble, then I suspect your post wont be so enthusiastic. $600 ea plus uploading a new coefficient file to the ecm for the each new one, when they fail it is instantaneous and wallet busting expensive.
These injectors do clog and can be cleaned but its expensive and time consuming and coil failure rate is high.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
It' good you like your engine and that's what counts! Tight lines!

Yep, she's been a good one. Then again, I've had a bunch of really great outboards over the years, including a 1950's 5.5 Johnson, a 1980 40hp Merc, a 1993 60hp Johnson, a 1995 90hp Johnson V4, a screaming 2001 200 Merc Optimax (pushed an 18 foot Lund 56mph!) and now the Etec 40. The Etec whips them all on maintenance and fuel economy. The only outboard I've ever had that just didn't perform was the 15hp Merc 4 stroke kicker on my Lund. It just didn't run right until it warmed up and ran for about 30 minutes. I know Merc didn't make that powerhead. I want to say Yamaha did, but I'm really not sure. It just stumbled and stalled again and again until it finally warmed up. Winterizing that thing was a MESS.

Originally Posted by Trav
Wonderful until it has injector trouble, then I suspect your post wont be so enthusiastic. $600 ea plus uploading a new coefficient file to the ecm for the each new one, when they fail it is instantaneous and wallet busting expensive.
These injectors do clog and can be cleaned but its expensive and time consuming and coil failure rate is high.

I've got lots of hours on this motor without a hiccup. The failure rate is low, for me, apparently. If it happens, though, I've saved enough on winterizing over 5 years to offset it. That'd be about $1500 bucks. I'm still under warranty, too, for another year. Time will tell. So far, I love this machine.

Btw, we've had about 5 Etecs in the family, the oldest being about 9 or 10 years. None have had a single issue. I'm not losing sleep over it.

Yes ! I'm a Mercury man myself, but several of my boating buddies have E-Tec outboards. Their cold start drive ability, lack of smoke, horsepower, quietness are all top notch. The ability to back away from the dock on first cold start of the day with no hiccups is awesome. Also, they use so little oil, it is scary. In my mind, E-Tecs are the pinnacle of 2 cycle engine development.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I've got an Evinrude 40hp Etec that is about 5 years old, and I just winterized it. After loading it on the trailer, you just do a simple throttle sequence on ingition and in about 2 minutes or so, it fogs itself and shuts down. So easy. I just top off the oil reservior every year with Evinrude XD100, of which it really sips very little. Glad I went with the XD 100 setting instead of the 50. Yeah, it is more expensive, but reduced usage is great!

This wonderful experience made me reflect on 5 wonderful years of ownership of this outboard. Evinrude should have won awards for this system. I watch friends either make a complete mess changing the oil/filter and winterizing their 4 stroke outboards, or worse, paying hundreds of dollars to have a dealer do it every year. If warm weather returns for a spell, they either have to do through the fogging again, or miss the fishing opportunity (none of them will do it, so they miss the chance, unless they go with me). With that Etec, you just go back out, fire it up, fish, then winterize it again at the boat ramp.

The only dealer maintenance required (which could be done by someone with basic mechanical ability at home, if desired) is to take it in every 3 years for a gear case oil change, spark plugs, water pump impeller, and lower unit gear oil change.

This is the lowest maintenance outboard I've owned. Funny thing is, and most people can't digest this, it has lower emissions than the 4 strokes, and better fuel economy, yet it still has the power of a 2 stroke. People can't wrap their heads around the fact a 2 stroke is the cleanest burning outboard.

Anyway, this little marvel has been 100% reliable and cheap to own. Btw, the fuel economy is pretty amazing, too. When I bought it, the boat came with a 6 gallon gas tank. I asked the dealer to add another to the deal and he told me to go fishing/boating with it before buying an additional tank. He insisted I wouldn't need it. He was right. This thing will run all day, even pulling tubes, on a 6 gallon tank. I'm still impressed with the efficiency of this thing, years later.

Anyway, if you are thinking of a new outboard, I'd highly recommend checking the Etecs out.

Thank you for a detailed post. I am planning on buying a used fishing boat in a few years. I wanted a 4 stroke but most used boats have 2 strokes. How is the noise level? How does it compare to a 4 stroke? Smell? How much oil does it use per say, hour? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by philipp10

Thank you for a detailed post. I am planning on buying a used fishing boat in a few years. I wanted a 4 stroke but most used boats have 2 strokes. How is the noise level? How does it compare to a 4 stroke? Smell? How much oil does it use per say, hour? Thanks in advance.

No smell or smoke. There are some who think they see smoke, but it is steam from water hitting an exhaust port. It is a fairly quiet outboard, but not as quiet as a comparable 4 stroke. I troll alot with it, and it is very quiet at idle. It isn't as smooth as the 25 or 30 hp Etec, because it is a 2 cylinder, but it is smooth enough for me. 4 cylinder 4strokes would be smoother, too. It accelerates like a tomcat on carpet with it's jewels snapped in a mouse trap, though. The hole shot remains strong even with a full load of 5 men and gear.

Seems when I look on the internet there are lots of opinions and comments on problems with powerhead failure due to lean at idle. Has this been solved?

I've got lots of hours on this motor without a hiccup. The failure rate is low, for me, apparently. If it happens, though, I've saved enough on winterizing over 5 years to offset it. That'd be about $1500 bucks. I'm still under warranty, too, for another year. Time will tell. So far, I love this machine.

Btw, we've had about 5 Etecs in the family, the oldest being about 9 or 10 years. None have had a single issue. I'm not losing sleep over it.

I only see what comes in for cleaning from the marinas, most of it is corrosion inside the injector, the salt water ones are the worst.

I only see what comes in for cleaning from the marinas, most of it is corrosion inside the injector, the salt water ones are the worst.

I don't run in salt water, so that problem appears to be a non-starter. We've not had a corroded or clogged injector yet in the Etecs in our family. We properly maintain them, winterize them, and run high quality ethanol free fuel in them. We also properly store fuel tanks full with fuel stabilizer in them. I've never owned an outboard with a carburator or fuel injector issue. I'm sure lack of proper maintenance and care can cause all kinds of problems.

Like with anything, I can't predict the future. However, past experience indicates these are good outboards and will last a long time. I see plenty of old Etecs around here and I've never spoken to an owner who wasn't thrilled with them. Again, I don't live near saltwater, so I can't speak for that.

I appreciate the heads-up, though.

Last edited:
My insurance agent went through the Yamaha exhaust corrosion saga (rotted out motor casting) … after his motor was replaced he traded boat and motor to get the etec …

Last edited:
Will Evenrude have a full lineup for 2019? I saw several websites but none had a date on them. I think the Etec would make a great engine especially in a re-power situation. I looked at 115 HP four strokes and they seem a lot larger than my 115 HP 2 stroke Yamaha. And yes I know off all the great attributes of 4 stroke outboards.

Last edited:
IIRC, they usually introduce late, usually to clear out the previous model year inventory. I got a sweet deal on my 40 because it was new, but the previous model year and nobody shopping my dealer wanted a 40 with tiller steering. He gave it to me for the price of the 30hp that I originally ordered.

Does Evinrude even list model years anymore? I thought I remembered they were not going to market them that way anymore. I could be wrong, though. I don't follow them that closely anymore.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Will Evenrude have a full lineup for 2019? I saw several websites but none had a date on them. I think the Etec would make a great engine especially in a re-power situation. I looked at 115 HP four strokes and they seem a lot larger than my 115 HP 2 stroke Yamaha. And yes I know off all the great attributes of 4 stroke outboards.

My choice would be the ETEC 115 HO. Expect 125-126 HP at the prop.

There are really only two good 2-strokes left. E-Tec and Tohatsu. Both are injected, but do it differently. Around the world Tohatsu is well regarded. They make rugged engines with zinc plated water passages, etc. In years past, they made engines for Merc, Nissan, OMC and others. So many folks have had their motors and just did not know it ...

I lean toward the Tohatsu as they stand up to salt water well. But either is more lively than your average 4-stroke
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Tohatsu engines are rugged but only a few are two stroke injected unlike Evinrude. The larger Tohatsu engines are rebranded Honda four strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back