Bleeding air out of hydraulic tilt Johnson outboar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the trim and tilt motor on my outboard. Only lost maybe 6 oz of fluid when draining. Basically what it does is it only works in the trim position, so once it goes up to the point where it starts tilting like to get it on a trailer it quits raising. The motor still runs, but the outboard won't raise any further.

It seems like it has enough fluid because if I take the cap off of the reservoir it's full.

It did raise up all the way when I didn't have the hydraulic ram hooked up just tp verify that it was operating so I'm thinking it's air in the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically there is a trim limit switch. You can only trim it up so far. After that you need to use the tilt switch, not the trim switch to get it up the rest of the way.

Tilting up and down will get the air out. Check the fluid level after tilting up and down a few times.

AFAIK the only limit switch is the one that keeps it from tilting up too high and hitting the cowling against the transom. I haven't hit that one yet. It stops at the point where the big ram in the middle takes over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back