Home

Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Posted By: Shup1

Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/30/07 07:52 AM

Has anyone performed a Blackstone analysis on Lucas oil stabilizer? I will get one done with UOA if anyone is interested?

Also what id the makeup of LOS??? I know what it does, just no clue what it is.
Posted By: Brett Miller

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/30/07 11:05 AM

It's not worth putting in an engine let alone paying for a UOA.
Posted By: BrianWC

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/30/07 11:59 AM

From what I've always heard it is unadditized group I brightstock petroleum.
Posted By: unDummy

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/30/07 02:09 PM

Definitely UOA it w/tbn to see if this stuff is worth anything.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/06/07 06:04 AM

I have sent in 2 samples w/TBN request

1 - straight Lucas
1 - My blend 5 to 1 Rotella T / LOS

Hope to have results by Thursday

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 08:52 AM

Here is the skinny on LOS

Unless listed all are 'Zero'

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Rotella T / LOS 5 to 1 blend
TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4
FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Does anyone have any feedback on Rotella blend, have I diluted it since it is a 5 to 1 mix??? or 83.33% Rotella / 16.67% Lucas
Posted By: Dad2leia

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 10:46 AM

So, the point of adding this to your oil would be...
Posted By: Dominic

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 12:39 PM

To feel good because it says to on the bottle? Looks like a worthless additive to me, wonder what it really does that isn't showing up on the OA

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 12:44 PM

Nothing but an oil thickener. You are better off just stepping up a weight if you want thicker.
Posted By: bruce381

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 03:26 PM

Quote:

Here is the skinny on LOS

Unless listed all are 'Zero'

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4
FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Does anyone have any feedback on Rotella blend, have I diluted it since it is a 5 to 1 mix??? or 83.33% Rotella / 16.67% Lucas

Is the VIS in Cst and at 100C??
if so Lucas is a OCP polymer VII and your rotella mix is now thicker than a 250 gear oil

bruce
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 04:39 PM

looks more like a subtractive than an additive.
Posted By: johnbottilaw

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 08:15 PM

This is not the synthetic version correct?
Posted By: daman

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 10:46 PM

this stuff is #@$%! there's nothing to it, you couldn't pay me to use that junk..
Posted By: TallPaul

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 11:16 PM

Much better off with a bottle of SLOB or VSOT.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/08/07 11:26 PM

Quote:

Much better off with a bottle of SLOB or VSOT.

I agree....

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/09/07 08:18 AM

I sent this in because I have been using for over two years in my previous vehicles and had no problems. I did send in the regular version, I assume the synthetic version is just that...same stuff differant version.
I will not be using this after the next oil change, I already have my oil blended for oil change next month and refuse to throw it away and I definatley won't use it in my wifes mini van..

So with all of this said....is there really a need for an additive to top shelf oil? (Rotella / Delo / Delvac) If a quality additive is available what is it? I want something that does not require me to order a drum at a time or only available in Kansas on Saturdays when it is raining.
Posted By: LateArrivalforLSU

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/10/07 01:48 AM

Quote:

is there really a need for an additive to top shelf oil?

No need whatsoever.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/10/07 09:48 AM

I remember this sick feeling I have in the pit of my stomach....

Happened right after I found out Santa wasn't real!
Posted By: Jaymus

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/11/07 10:04 PM

So, you guys think this is 'harmful' to the car? Or you just don't see a point in using it?

It DEFINITELY helps cold start ups. On my 4.6 Thunderbird, every morning I cranked it up with a 10w-30 conventional oil in it, it would chatter for 3-4 seconds until the oil made it to the top. I then went with 4 quarts of 10w-30 and 1 quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and that never happened the whole time it was in there. Next change, I didn't use it, and still it never once chattered. So, I just use it every other oil change. I like Lucas products. I guess because I have never had a problem with them. I may only 'feel' that they help, but I know they have never caused a single problem.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/11/07 10:15 PM

I don't think it's harmful, but i would never use it
(never have)especially after seeing that VOA, snake oil
IMO, if i want thick oil i'll run a 20w50, use a good dino
or syn. and you don't need it IMO..$.02!!!

but i guess if you say it works for you go for it.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/11/07 10:39 PM

I mean, I can't argue with facts, but I do think it does what it says... and that is to help cold start ups. It made a big difference in my car as far as that goes.

Explain what you mean about the VOA being bad. I've read these forums for months, but still have much to learn.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/11/07 10:45 PM

I am far from a pro on reading VOA's just what i learn on here, but to me it seems there's nothing in it(add's) to help anything out, unless the base is some good stuff or
something, dunno....

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/11/07 10:52 PM

One the bottle, it says 100% petroleum. I just feel that it is good for cold start ups, at least. It says it helps to stop smoking and renew worn seals, but who knows? It does slow oil consumption. I have a 94 Ford Thunderbird LX with the 4.6 OHC V8, and they used oil from the factory, but I can say that the Lucas extremely slows that. I just feel that if it's helping and not hurting, I might as well use it.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/11/07 11:00 PM

Yep i hear ya , well like i said if you think it's working in your car use it, have you ever tryed a synthetic
to see how start up's are?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/11/07 11:02 PM

I'm afraid to switch to synthetic. I would run it in everything, but I've heard too many horror stories of synthetics breaking up the old burnt/sludge from conventional oils and then that going through your motor, and then stopping up bearings, etc, etc.

Is there ANY truth to that?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/12/07 05:55 AM

I to have used it in all of my vehicles, I have friends who I have told about the VOA and they still swear it works (hard to argue when 200K+ miles doing the same thing). Maybe as a additive at a lower % than suggested with a blend of CD-2 or SLOB and there may be something??? but then again your into junior chemistry and your lab is a 5K test beaker??

Pablo...I have a guy who has used Amsoil from the beginning (after 5k) breakin) and has used LOS 20% in tranny, power steering,motor oil and front/rear diff and he does extended oil changes...Is he asking for trouble seeing the VOA listed earlier??

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/12/07 09:23 AM

What exactly is bad in the UOA? Is the viscosity too thick? What exactly is bad and why? lol

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/12/07 07:53 PM

There is near zero additives in the product, the visc is really heavy. When following the instructions on the bottle one would assume that a 20% blend of LOS and oil should reduce the aditive package equally.
If you look at the VOA I did on the blended version you will see that the oil visc is high, some others have posted virgin Rotella T VOA and you see a 30-40 differance in visc @ 210 degrees vs my blend...now my statement would be since I live i Florida and we have very very few near zero cold starts and large amounts of high temps 75+, does it really matter?
I am getting ready to send in my UOA on my truck using the same blend and we can look at vs VOA and everyone can post their thoughts.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/12/07 10:24 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid to switch to synthetic. I would run it in everything, but I've heard too many horror stories of synthetics breaking up the old burnt/sludge from conventional oils and then that going through your motor, and then stopping up bearings, etc, etc.

Is there ANY truth to that?

No,,a synthetic oil isn't going to break up sludge that fast
to do any harm,over the years i've done it many many times
when i first got my '99 chev p/u the first thing i did
when i got her home was dump the dinno out and put in
nice fresh Mobil-1, and the truck had 191k on it, no
problem at all no leaks or nothing, switch and be happy.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/13/07 04:51 AM

Well, I might do it. It's for a 1994 Thunderbird LX. It runs perfect. It's the 4.6 OHC V8. Also, I want to switch the notoriously sludging 2.7 Chrysler engine in my family to synthetic.

What should the viscosity be? High 60's or something without the LOS? Looks like I'm not going to use this stuff anymore. I didn't know it made the oil THAT thick. I'm just here to learn.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/13/07 08:12 AM

Quote:

What should the viscosity be? High 60's or something without the LOS?

What type of oil you use again?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/13/07 12:21 PM

I run Castrol GTX 10w-30 through a Bosch filter.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/13/07 10:03 PM

On there web site it's shows a low 30w range, 10.6 @100c,cst

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 02:25 AM

Then what are these numbers listed about at the beginning of the thread here:

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3 <-----------------------
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4 <-----------------------
FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Is that at 40C or something? According to http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/oildatasheets.html that AEHaas showed me, the 10w-30 GTX viscosity is 72 @ 40C. That 5:1 Rotella/Lucas mix showed a 115.4 viscosity. I guess that is at 40C. I'm just learning all of this... sorry if I'm noobish.

So, if that is the viscosity at 40C, then my 72 has also probably risen to around 110 - 130. I can't seem to find what type of rotella was used in the sample above in this thread. But, if that's correct, doesn't that mean that the lucas is turning my 4:1 (5 quarts total) GTX 10w-30/Lucas mix into the equivilancy of a 15w-40 or 20w-50 mix?

It says it helps cold starts because it forms a layer over all the moving parts. I see that good in a way, but I don't want that thick of an oil running through my engine.

But, wait, if that is at 40C, I'm really curious to know what a mix like mine, or the original mix of Rotella/Lucas above, has a viscosity of at 100C. Do you think it changes my 10.6 to maybe just a 10.8, or is it the type of additive that would make my oil around a viscosity of 20 @ 100C??

I'm about to go drain it out right now! It's got me worried... although I have been using it for awhile and like the way the car operates with it. I'm glad I have been reading this site, but it is inducing a lot of stress on me. :-)

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 03:24 AM

10.6 @100c,cst is what i got off castrol's web site for
the 10w30, and i used this chart;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 03:26 AM

Still a little green on this stuff too, but i'm reading.
Posted By: Colt45ws

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 03:37 AM

Those viscosity numbers are in SUS at 100C.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 03:40 AM

Yup thats right

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 04:54 AM

So, what is the cst equivilency of 115.4 SUS @ 100C? Is that around 24??? MY #@$%! that's some thick oil at 100C!!!

I'm so glad I found this site. I don't think I'll ever put that stuff back in my engine. Maybe a badly worn, smoking engine. It says it's for new engines and worn engines alike. It practically makes a 10w-30 a thick 20w-50 or higher.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 05:41 AM

SUS Calculater

Yup, really close to 24cSt.

The virgin Lucas is 225 cSt @ 100C.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 07:54 AM

The virgin Rotella T CJ4 was from Wally world, I got it while mis-marked for $7 a gallon (bought 20). Again with the virgin material I think it does show some high visc readings, but when I do my UOA on oil it will be interesting to see what visc will be????

Jaymus while I was suprised at the high visc and lack of additives I would not just drop it out of th pan...If you have been using it for a while and like the results just leave it in, if there was something bad in it chances are it would have have a negative impact before now. MY UOA will tell mne if I continue to run it..

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/14/07 09:47 PM

I'm very interested to see your results. I just can't believe it thickens the oil passed to a thick 20w-50 or thicker ( I think). I think it has its pros and cons, but I don't think I'll be using it in my good running cars anymore.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/15/07 02:35 AM

There are no pros unless you are using it to extend the life of an engine on its very last legs. Substituting one quart of this stuff for your regular motor oil just means your loosing that much in the way of additives and better quality base oil. If you want a good, really thick oil I believe Valvoline makes a SynPower 20W50.

Fear not, we all go through denial about our favorite additives.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/15/07 03:47 AM

Quote:

Substituting one quart of this stuff for your regular motor oil just means your loosing that much in the way of additives and better quality base oil.

I agree with that yes sir!!!!!

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/15/07 09:09 AM

Well....Everyone has an idea....

But I will post the results when I change my oil next month..

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/16/07 01:22 AM

Yeah, but this site isn't about ideas. Sure, there are plenty of feel good (I can tell my engine is running smoother) posts. But fact is, the goal is increased knowledge. If this stuff is group I brightstock, it's certainly not beneficial to a group II/III/IV oil. If it's a thick polymer, same deal. Lucas's ads are heavy on testimonial and light on fact. They advertise this stuff as a cure all for everything. Here, as with anything else, the old adage applies that if it's too good to be true....
Posted By: PRND3L

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/16/07 06:19 AM

Quote:

There are no pros unless you are using it to extend the life of an engine on its very last legs.

What good would it do in this situation? Just the reduce consumption/boost compression theories because of thicker visc.? Is there more?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/17/07 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There are no pros unless you are using it to extend the life of an engine on its very last legs.

What good would it do in this situation? Just the reduce consumption/boost compression theories because of thicker visc.? Is there more?

Nope, no more. Short story is there is no need for the stuff. It's just an inefficient way to get a thicker oil
Posted By: PRND3L

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/17/07 01:23 AM

Cool, thanks BWC.
Posted By: Auto-Union

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/07 01:43 PM

Slop + tackifier

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/21/07 05:00 AM

But Brian right now everyone has an opinion on this product, while I would agree that from the UOA it really does not have a lot to offer as far as additives my next UOA will show if there are any differant results from current Rotella T / Cummins owners.
Again, while everyone thinks its slop I have not had any bad results and neither have my friends. I liken this to the Amsoil / Mobil 1/ Castrol / Delo debates, you will have haters, lovers, detractors and idiots..and little will sway our opinions.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/22/07 02:25 AM

You're correct, perhaps there will be no ill effects in the UOA. But you're still out $8-9.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/22/07 09:05 AM

Really cheap if it 'actually' does something?? Besides it gives me the warm and fuzzies....

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/22/07 10:33 PM

Lucas makes good stuff, just like their upper cylinder lubricant. It gives a more complete combustion, also. Everyone knows you can feel the difference when you use that stuff.

Well, this oil stabilizer claims it increases the life of your engine. Sure, anyone can say that, but I almost believe it has to have some pros. I do know for a fact that without this stuff, my engine chatters (timing chain, etc. in my 4.6 OHC V8 Ford) in the mornings, and with this stuff in here, it never does it, even if it sits for 3 days. That's the only pro that I 'know' of. I don't think a 20w-50 would have the same effect that this gives. It supposively coats all your moving parts so you don't have to wait for oil to get to them.. it's already there.

I'm curious to see your UOA with it. How long til you send it in?

I have a blackstone labs conatainer here at my house... I have Castrol GTX 10w-30 and Lucas oil stabilizer in it (4:1). I may send mine in when I change it. Only one problem... my odometer doesn't work. I change my oil when I feel that it needs it, lol. I'm sure I never go over 4000 miles, though.

Besides the extra thickening of the oil, the main thing that turns me away from this product is that it has no additives. I mean, come on...

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/22/07 11:57 PM

You all realize there are UOAs with this stuff posted.

As for increasing the life of your engine....

You should read Mola's posts on Lucas. He's a respected chemist and thinks it's just one great rip off. If it truly is group I brightstock petroleum, that quieter engine's not going to be as clean as it could be when all that group I breaks down and leaves deposits.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/23/07 05:37 AM

bright stock is a dark amber/green oil what color is the Lucas stuff?? If light colored likem honey then is NOT bright stock but a PIB or a Polymer.
bruce

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/23/07 05:41 AM

Lucas is light colored. Certainly not dark. How does using a polymer, though, fit into their claims of it being 100% petroleum? Is that just creative use of petroleum as long as the polymer is a petrochemical?

You wouldn't accuse Lucas of being shifty? (sarcasm included in last statement)

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/23/07 08:28 AM

Jaymus..I am within the next 30 days going to send in my sample, it will either be 6 motnhs or 7.5k miles....more likely 6 months and 4.5k miles.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/23/07 09:01 PM

Quote:

You all realize there are UOAs with this stuff posted.

I actually couldn't find any other UOA's with Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I wouldn't mind to see some UOA's with and without this stabilizer

Here's how I'm thinking of the oil stabilizer...

I see that it has no additives... I see that it just makes a 30 weight oil more around a 50 - 60 weight oil. I do not like either one of those, unless I was doing an endurance race, lol, but even then, I'd just choose a thicker oil.

I noticed it helped my cold start ups AS FAR AS MY EARS COULD TELL. That doesn't mean everything, though.

I am looking forward to your UOA, shup1. But, I probably won't use this stuff anymore, unless I see something really good on here about it. It seems like just a quarter of a quart would be enough for each oil change. It'd probably make a thin 30 weight a thick 30 weight, and also maybe still help cold start ups.

So, all it says it is on the bottle is 100% pertroleum.. but it is not green as mentioned, it is a light, honey brown. And it is as thick as honey, too.... I haven't been pouring honey in my engine, have I?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/28/07 12:06 PM

well most honey oil looking VIII are 97% or so Mineral oil and 3-4% OCP polymer which is diverived from petrolium so thay are accurate if it is a diluted polymer.
bruce
Posted By: wwwKJJEEPcom

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/29/07 03:46 AM

Looks like it would be good for an older engine that is "loose". It might stop some burning of oil ect. Otherwise, it doesn't look like it will do much except rob mileage per gallon.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/29/07 08:06 AM

Jeep...
I do not see a reduction of mpg while using this product, I still maintain 18-24 mpg on my diesel depending on driving habits and load.
I also ran in every oil change in last two vehicles with little or differance in mpg, I did notice when I got rid of my 98 Dodge with 200K mile it used zero oil and still managed 16-19 mpg (318 stock), my 03 Dodge liked it even better when pulling a load..I had less chatter and mpgs were similar to 98 Dodge.
Posted By: DINO_NO

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/06/07 12:12 PM

UOA WITH LUCAS.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/07/07 06:18 AM

coming in the next 30 days Dino No

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/10/07 08:21 AM

Just finished oil change with Rotella T & LOS, low mileage (3.5K)..I am sending next day air so should have results by Thursday.
Posted By: DINO_NO

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/10/07 09:25 AM

excellent, I cant wait.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/13/07 07:17 AM

Ok here is the UOA for the Lucas 5 to 1 blend onmy Dodge...

The truck has seen 5 trips )400 miles round trip) towing , block tractors ect...rest is typical stop and go. I guess I am confused on the partical count note..hopefully they can straighten out since I have added a B50 bypass setup.

If not listed it is zero:
Aluminum: 4
Chromium: 1
Iron: 32
Copper: 6
Lead: 1
Tin: 3
Moly:15
Manganese: 1
Silver: 1
Potassium: 20
Boron: 42
Silicon: 16
Sodium: 4
Calcium: 2055
Magnesium: 7
Phosphorus: 1065
Zinc: 1126
Barium: 3

TBN: 7.7
Partical count : 19/16
Visc: 89.3
Insolubles: .3
Miles on vehicle:4324
Miles on Oil:3324
Diesel Kleen 1.5 oz to 10 gallons (every tank)
K&N Filters
Rotella T & LOS (5to1)
Wix oil filter

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/14/07 09:50 PM

So what was it supposed to do again?
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/15/07 03:44 AM

You only have 4324 miles on the car?? That will skew everything if it is still breaking in.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/17/07 12:17 AM

Yes I have 4300 on the truck, but it was my 6 month interval. I have added a B50 bypass and will sample again at about the same mileage to keep it on the level.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/17/07 12:19 AM

Brian,

I was just posting results of the virgin LOS an a blend of Rotell T & LOS, I guess there is no real data to show it did anything...but on the other hand it did not show anything negative..So I would assume everyone can make thier own choice to run or not??

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 06/17/07 02:42 AM

So, like I said, a waste of $9.
Posted By: ethangsmith

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 07/08/07 03:28 AM

Saw Synthetic Lucas Oil Stabilizer on the shelf the other day (same bottle, but black labelling). Is that stuff any different or just a synthetic version of the regular stuff??

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 07/08/07 06:47 AM

It is slightly thinner and I believe a little bit better stuff...but even more expensive and still not worth it.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 07/08/07 11:58 AM

Quote:

It is slightly thinner and I believe a little bit better stuff...but even more expensive and still not worth it.

Yup still ____...
Posted By: nascarnation

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/09/07 04:12 AM

there's good money in selling this stuff.......
Lucas has purchased naming rights to the new football stadium here in Indianapolis.......that takes some serious bucks and I assume anticipates even more serious return on the advertising investment
Posted By: GT Mike

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/20/08 10:03 PM

One of my mechanics at work swears by this stuff. Claims it made his 6.9L Ford diesel go for 400,000 miles. He added one gallon with each oil change (IIRC, around 12 quarts total fill) and he just loves it. My question to him was what kind of mileage would the truck have gotten to if it were never used? Of course nobody could accurately answer that. I even showed him this thread, and he's still not convinced. Oh well.

As for the color of the product, to me it looks identical to regular old run of the mill 80w90 gear oil. A slight greenish tint to an otherwise golden colored oil.
Posted By: Taylor

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/21/08 12:04 AM

stuffs garbage IMO
Posted By: easytim

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/22/08 12:33 PM

All I can say is I'm getting much better gas mileage, its 10% greater and I no longer use any oil. Come time for my oil change I use to see about 1/2 quart down on the dip stick. Now it shows full on the dip stick. I never see the foam on the dip stick either, it always look like any other oil in color to me. If you put oil and Lucas stabilizer in a gear box with straight teeth gears you will put air in the oil, It was engine noise in cold weather that made me buy it, says it coats ehgine parts and it did quite it down. So what if it foams. I know my parts are coated with oil, Lucas is made from oil, its an oil product, oil from oil. Call it an additive, your adding oil to oil.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/22/08 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Taylor
stuffs garbage IMO

Where is your proof?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: easytim
Lucas is made from oil, its an oil product, oil from oil. Call it an additive, your adding oil to oil.

So I should prob put the extra virgin olive oil that I have in my motor, its oil right????

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 01:33 AM

So what if it foams. I know my parts are coated with oil,

this is where your wrong, where it foams theres oxygen, wheres theres oxygen theres prob no oil, no oil no lubrication, no lubrication = metal on metal contact

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 01:38 AM

I no longer use any oil. Come time for my oil change I use to see about 1/2 quart down on the dip stick. Now it shows full on the dip stick.

your not using oil because, your thickening your oil. there are better ways to do this check out the scheaffers 132 thread. you shouldnt really need to thicken your oil, if your consuming oil badly you have a problem with your motor weather it be crank vent or rings etc. or a leak check everything try ARX and use a quality motor oil that doesnt burn as easily

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Taylor
stuffs garbage IMO

Where is your proof?

theres a voa on here somewhere, this is just MY OPINION do as you may

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:06 AM

Explain the better gas mileage

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:08 AM

How come when I shut the engine off and check the dip stick I don't see foaming, the oil looks like any other oil? I think the test that Bob does is a crock.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:11 AM

How come Lucas says you can go another 1,500 miles 50% more from a 3,000 mile oil change.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:23 AM

How come Lucas says you can go another 1,500 miles 50% more from a 3,000 mile oil change.

I think they have to justify the price someone pays for their product.

Frank D

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:25 AM

When I run the car on the highway and change to oil right after I do not see a white foaming in the oil like Bob would have us believe

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I think they have to justify the price someone pays for their product.

Frank D

Paying $8.00 for one quart of Lucas stabilzer and going an additional 1,500 miles pays for itself

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:31 AM

Paying $7.99 for one quart of Lucas stabilzer and going an additional 1,500 miles pays for itself
Posted By: Buffman

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 05:00 PM

You have problems posting... Find the VOA. there's nothing in it. It's just an oil thickener. The improved mileage was probably in your head.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 06:01 PM

So just because I now thickened the oil, I can go 1,500 miles more on an oil change.

And just because I get 25.3 now instead of 21.2 miles per gallon its because the oil is thicker and its now in my head that this stuff really works.

What exactly is bad in the VOA? Is the viscosity too thick? What exactly is bad and why? lol he he he

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 08:21 PM

ummm if you compare the voas of the RT blend to straight rotella you will see how much this stuff dropped all adds....why dont you try to run your oil the extra 1500mi without the lucas, your prob better off.... as i said before stuffs garbage. and for your milage gains... IDK your math, or your monitoring? thats a good question, cant defy the laws of physics if its thicker its harder to move so it would take more energy resulting in a loss of energy. maybe a gain from no longer consuming oil, increased compression? idk just cuz they claim you can add 1500 mi to your oci doesnt mean jack...you should already be running 5000mi ocis anyway with no lucas.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 08:23 PM

and i doubt you would see foam on your dipstick think about it....its submerged in oil then you pull the dipstick though the oil when you lift it out. If you had a clear view window in your pan i bet you would see bubbles....

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 09:04 PM

Thanks Taylor,

I think I'll go to SAMS and get some Rotella T Synthetic 5W40

What do you think?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 09:39 PM

nice choice

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 09:45 PM

I live close to Schaeffer's packing house. Of the 2 Schaeffer's or Rotella T Synthetic 5W40

Its going to be one of these 2

Which one to you favor?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/23/08 11:07 PM

i prefer RTS, a lot of people here say schaeffers is god i dont know much about it. all depends on your application.
Posted By: Audi Junkie

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/24/08 04:56 AM

Testing a thickener in FL heat might not reflect what happens when used in the north. Also, using it with a high-additive HD oil might not accurately reflect the depleted additive situation either. Whatever, have fun. I would not run it in my car for $100 and a free UOA.
Posted By: deeter16317

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/25/08 01:32 AM

The schaeffer's is hard to beat on price...

FWIW, I used Lucas one single time in my 99 Dodge Cummins...I had so much extra metal-on-metal rattle with it that I drained the new fill in 200 miles and refilled without the Lucas...noise went away. That was before I ever read this forum, and I never used it again.

I have used their trans additive in manuals with good results...
Posted By: KA426

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/25/08 01:45 AM

Does anybody know if their gear oil is any good? It appears that their oil stabilizer is just a giant wad of gooey s**t that does nothing to help protect your engine from what I've been told.
Posted By: deeter16317

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/25/08 02:45 AM

Because I couldn't find anything locally BUT their synthetic 75w90, I used it in the wife's Mustang. So far, it has performed well...as much as you can tell from visual inspection.

I also figured it wasn't an additive, but was actual gear oil.

Posted By: Don Stefanik

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/25/08 12:46 PM

Check out these tests.

On gear lubes.

Gear lube tests.

On motorcycle oil's.

Motorcycle oil tests.
Posted By: TLC3

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 01/29/09 06:46 AM

Lucas is top notch would not change my trucks oil without it.One with over 360000 miles and no oil useage.Can't hurt.
Posted By: postjeeprcr

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 01/29/09 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Stefanik
Check out these tests.

On gear lubes.

Gear lube tests.

On motorcycle oil's.

Motorcycle oil tests.

I find those very hard to believe.
Posted By: MolaKule

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/03/09 03:06 AM

And it appears the flash point was reduced somewhat as well.

Would I use a 115 cSt oil mix in my vehicle. No way!

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/06/09 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TLC3
Lucas is top notch would not change my trucks oil without it.One with over 360000 miles and no oil useage.Can't hurt.

This ought to change your mind:

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

It's pointless, no matter who says what. I used to be stubborn (check page 2 or 3 of this thread) and said I still liked it after seeing that... but shortly after, I realized it was better to not be so stubborn.

This stuff is a subtractive, not an additive. It's only good in an engine that either leaks or smokes/burns a ton of oil IMO.

I wouldn't use it in a GOOD engine for anything. It makes your overall add pack 1/4 to 1/5 weaker (depends on how much you use and the size of your sump) and makes your oil way too thick.
Posted By: White_Buffalo

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/20/09 01:54 PM

I sent in a virgin oil sample of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer last year. Here are the reults. No additives, just a big viscosity improver -

The viscosity on this analysis is CST/100*C

Posted By: Bror Jace

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/21/09 02:16 AM

Guys, I meticulously track my mileage ... to the point where I would notice tenths of an increase or decrease. If you want to 'test' the effect of products on your mileage, you MUST do this. Saying "I get between 18 - 22mpg" is completely useless as back up. Often any increases and decreases will be slight and meticulous data is required to quantify them.

I ask anyone that claims products increase or decrease fuel economy, please post at least 5 data points before and 5 data points after the change. Take an average and compare. If you are honest, and drove the same way, the same mix of city and highway, you'll have a legitimate claim.

This stuff thickens oil ... period. That thicker oil may provide better protection ... but the industry has been going to thinner lubes like 5W-20 ... which have been performing really well according to UOAs.

The seat of the pants dyno is saying these engines run better with this stuff? Smoother? Well of course a thicker oil will dampen mechanical noises coming from the engine. This does not mean it is protecting better ... just masking the sound of a worn or out-of-adjustment engine.

The idea that a thicker oil (with no known friction modifiers) with greater hydrodynamic drag will increase fuel economy flies in the face of simple physics. Where is the savings coming from? What principle of physics is at play here?

But if you can provide good data to back it up, I'm willing to look, listen and learn. :)
Posted By: Buffman

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/21/09 06:11 AM

124 CST!

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/23/09 01:20 AM

Well, now that I know the Visc, it could be used it in small amounts to get a viscosity I want...
Posted By: morris

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/23/09 02:46 AM

moe in wichita ks
a guy on an other forum ( talking about oil additives) said that if the product a copany has is any good someone will do a test that shows its a good product. SO WHERES THE lucas TEST?
i realy know where it is i just like to beat up on lucas

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/23/09 03:13 PM

Onmo'Eegusee,
True, but I'd rather use a slightly thicker motor oil ... instead of something that dilutes the additive package.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/24/09 11:27 AM

I agree. But it could be useful. I wouldnt use it in any more than about 5%, which will still thicken it appreciably. I have another use in mind for it, but Im not going to buy it.. Have to get ahold of an empty bottle and grab the scraping off the inside... should be more than enough..
Posted By: White_Buffalo

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 02/26/09 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: morris
moe in wichita ks
a guy on an other forum ( talking about oil additives) said that if the product a copany has is any good someone will do a test that shows its a good product. SO WHERES THE lucas TEST?
i realy know where it is i just like to beat up on lucas

They are too busy building that football stadium with the profits.....LOL
Posted By: Loobed

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/10/09 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Shup1

Happened right after I found out Santa wasn't real!

Santa's real

Lucas oil and the guy who lives in the clouds is fake.
Posted By: KA426

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/10/09 11:47 PM

Has anyone tried the synthetic formula? It's much thinner.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/18/09 12:27 AM

Question: What in oil is this third party additive supposed to stabilize?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/18/09 02:46 AM

The payment on the stadium, don't need any more banks going under.
Posted By: Max_Wander

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/20/09 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Question: What in oil is this third party additive supposed to stabilize?

Good question. I'm at a LOS for words
Posted By: Hethaerto

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/21/09 06:03 AM

The argument about LOS diluting the sump's total additive quantity makes sense.

But there's something in LOS that acts as a delivery agent for the regular oil. That little gear gizmo in the stores is kind of neat. You can turn the gears very slowly and instantly see the oil moving around the gears on the LOS side because the oil was already there waiting to be used. The non-LOS oil does not do this, you must crank very quickly to get the oil even near the top gear.

I'm using the LOS synthetic version right now along with 2 ounces of Tufoil. This delivery agent seems to help deliver the Tufoil throughout the engine. Without LOS, the Tufoil seems to lose it's amazing lubricating power because I think it's not moving around the engine like it should. It's so freaking slick that I think the impeller in the oil pump is unable to push the oil around, which is why testing shows that oil pressure sometimes drops slightly after installing Tufoil and other PTFE products. But after installing LOS, I think the Tufoil is able to be distributed properly because the LOS is able to hang on to it. I'm just theorizing here, I know you all say that all additives are garbage, except for ARX.

I'm running Lucas 5W20 syn oil right now, and I think it's not as good an oil as GC. It was very cheap, but next oil change I'm switching back to GC. GC, LOS and Tufoil is my favorite combination so far. My Volvo XC70 runs like a striped ape right now, though it did run better with GC.
Posted By: chevrofreak

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/21/09 06:12 AM

You do NOT want all that oil climbing up into your engine and clinging to parts, creating drag. There's a reason engines have an oil pump

Additives like this might help in a manual transmission or differential, but not an engine.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/21/09 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
You do NOT want all that oil climbing up into your engine and clinging to parts, creating drag. There's a reason engines have an oil pump

Additives like this might help in a manual transmission or differential, but not an engine.

So I should not use LOS because you say oil should not be up in the top of the engine because my engine has an oil pump, and that I should not want my car to run like a striped ape?

Sounds like excellent logic.

My brother's old minivan was running like [censored], and made lots of noise from the valvetrain. I opened the oil fill cap and looked inside the top of the head. There were very many parts covered in dark varnish and were also dry to the touch, no oil wetting at all. I reached in with my finger and touched parts after the engine had been shut off after being on line for a while.

I installed GC, LOS syn and a bottle of ARX. I then drove the van about one mile and rechecked the valvetrain. All parts were oil-wetted and the racket had subsided. I thought this was a good thing. I guess you think this thorough oil-wetting and quieting of the valvetrain is a bad thing?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/21/09 07:46 AM

No, he is saying the oil pump will pump the oil to where it needs to be.
You changed so many things on your oil change to his van it is impossible to say which "fixed" it... Did it even have syn before?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/21/09 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
No, he is saying the oil pump will pump the oil to where it needs to be.
You changed so many things on your oil change to his van it is impossible to say which "fixed" it... Did it even have syn before?

Nope. But I'm sure switching to syn will not have made such a drastic difference so quickly.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/21/09 10:40 AM

Wait a second......

I've got the details mixed up. I didn't change my brother's oil. He had it changed a few days prior with el cheapo oil from the quick lube. So I extracted a little more than a quart and re-filled with a quart of LOS and ARX.

I've worked on so many family member's cars recently that I mixed them up.
Posted By: Steve S

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/21/09 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Dad2leia
So, the point of adding this to your oil would be...
To add to the profits of Lucas oil.
Posted By: Audi Junkie

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/05/10 05:22 AM

It's not an oil thickener, it's an oil thinner, lol.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/07/10 01:51 PM

Thanks for reviving this thread.

I just read through it ... and got to page 6 before seeing that I already posted my $.02 worth. grin

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 08/08/10 04:55 PM

Quote:
But there's something in LOS that acts as a delivery agent for the regular oil. That little gear gizmo in the stores is kind of neat. You can turn the gears very slowly and instantly see the oil moving around the gears on the LOS side because the oil was already there waiting to be used. The non-LOS oil does not do this, you must crank very quickly to get the oil even near the top gear.

As Bruce stated, this is nothing more than an oil thickener with a very, very low level (dose) of a conventional MO additive. Very similar to the old STP blue bottle.

Not sure what you mean by delivery agent, but suspect you are referring to the general term for "surfactants" which are in most MO's.

I do not believe that LOS is anything more than an olefin co-polymer with a tackifier. I would not even use it as an assembler lube since it does not have enough AW additives.

And BTW, thanks for your service to this country. thumbsup
Posted By: 71Chevyguy

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 07/12/11 03:53 AM

I am not a fan of the Lucas products personally in cars that are functioning properly. I do not see why you would want to dilute the additives on your oil and substitute them with something that is thickening your oil as much as the LOS does. It is usually best to stay with the proper recommended viscosity of oil suggested by the manufacturer. Sometimes it may be beneficial to go up a bit in thickness for towing or real severe duty as many members have discussed here in many posts. But why you would want to thicken your oil THAT much is beyond me. I will say that I have used the LOS successfully in quite a few vehicles. They were on their last leg and this stuff did an amazing job quieting certain noises and hiding flaws. Used it in differentials that did go completely quiet as well as a Nissan Maxima 3.5 that burned just about its entire sump of oil in a day if driven enough. It did a good job slowing down the oil burning but this was a motor that was basically shot and should not have even been used anymore. Basically to cover up junk cars that were being sold to people who could not afford anything better. Some people swear by this stuff but I feel the VOA proves that it really does not offer anything other than a way to seriously thicken up your oil while lowering the overall quality and usability of it.
Posted By: guyonearth

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/24/15 09:43 PM

Are we allowed to laugh at stuff like this, or is that considered impolite? What is the fascination people have with putting snake oil additives into their motor oil that are actually inferior to the oil itself? I don't get it.
Posted By: Marco620

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/05/15 04:00 AM

It's marketing was the best thing it had. It does work great on door hinges and applications where non detergent oil is needed. I used it to lightly coat my hockey skate blades to protect from rust and I still have .900ml out of .946ml left in 4 years.
Posted By: turtlevette

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/05/15 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
I am not a fan of the Lucas products personally in cars that are functioning properly. I do not see why you would want to dilute the additives on your oil and substitute them with something that is thickening your oil as much as the LOS does. It is usually best to stay with the proper recommended viscosity of oil suggested by the manufacturer. Sometimes it may be beneficial to go up a bit in thickness for towing or real severe duty as many members have discussed here in many posts. But why you would want to thicken your oil THAT much is beyond me. I will say that I have used the LOS successfully in quite a few vehicles. They were on their last leg and this stuff did an amazing job quieting certain noises and hiding flaws. Used it in differentials that did go completely quiet as well as a Nissan Maxima 3.5 that burned just about its entire sump of oil in a day if driven enough. It did a good job slowing down the oil burning but this was a motor that was basically shot and should not have even been used anymore. Basically to cover up junk cars that were being sold to people who could not afford anything better. Some people swear by this stuff but I feel the VOA proves that it really does not offer anything other than a way to seriously thicken up your oil while lowering the overall quality and usability of it.

You're criticism reads more like a testimonial. They don't put any additives in it so it will be compatible with anything. As you thicken an oil you inherently need less additives. There are plenty guys here that will explain the virtues of thicker oil film.

Do you know how many ka-billion cans of STP, Lucas and others went into cars over the past 40 years?

No, Don't put it in a good engine. The whole forte is to help an oil burner.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy