Mobil 1 0W-20 Annual Protection VOA, TBN/TAN

Nothing to see here, folks, move along....

I present for your consideration a VOA of Mobil 1 0W-20 Annual Protection. Looks surprisingly normal. I suspect whatever it is that is different does not show up in a VOA.

Thanks for that. I'm hoping for a reprieve from 4 pages of complaining and speculation.

First step in finding out if there is any magic to this juice.

You're right.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
Nothing to see here, folks, move along....

Thanks for posting. I won't be using it.

Thank you very much for this oil analysis.
I have to say it, if I was to go by just these numbers, I wouldn't buy this oil if it was $2/quart.

Interesting how low the TBN is considering this is a calcium and magnesium formulation.

Phosphorous and Zinc are about 200ppm lower than Mobil's published specs:

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Official viscosity is 8.7cst vs 8.4cst per Blackstone on your sample. Flashpoint matches.

I had a feeling this is what was going to show up. The elements that Mobil uses to make this the AP oil do not show up on a analysis. Judging the oil by its additives is a losing proposition.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I had a feeling this is what was going to show up. The elements that Mobil uses to make this the AP oil do not show up on a analysis. Judging the oil by its additives is a losing proposition.
True; but a TBN of 8 is less than stellar for an oil that supposedly is now for annual service, which tends to suggest the former M1 was not up to the task and I certain it was.

OP - thanks for the VOA.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
TBN of 8?!

Exactly... !
crazy2.gif

Chevron Supreme Conventional oils have a TBN of 8.4/8.5

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=205060&docFormat=PDF

What is the magic juice in Annual Protection that isn't showing up on the VOA ?

And thank you OP for posting this.

Last edited:
With a starting TBN of 8.0, TBN retention must be incredible.
And the Phosphorous is below the SN minimum of 600.

Last edited:
I wonder if the low additives on this VOA might be an attempt at keeping Sulphated Ash low. But then it also raises the question at how good this formulation would be at minimizing wear.

Unless there's some real magic blended into this oil that doesn't show up in a UOA, EP is looking better all the time.

Somebody needs to tell XM about this VOA info. They may not be aware that of what AP oil is all about..

Thanks for the contribution. As expected this oil likely contains a significant amount of non metallic additives that are not showing up. The TBN of 8 is not surprising since this is a low or mid SAPS oil.

Let's face it - there's very, very few folks on this board qualified to comment intelligently on the composition of engine oil. With so much that we supposedly don't see in these types of analyses, I'm not sure there's much point in speculating until we can see a report with one year or 20,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Unless there's some real magic blended into this oil that doesn't show up in a UOA, EP is looking better all the time.
Color me highly skeptical.

I didn't want to say it earlier, but that VOA is exactly what I thought it would be. Not in a technical sense but in terms of surprises.

Back