Mobil 1 and Engineering Explained

FYI

"It's time to get the facts. We're so stoked to be partnering with Jason Fenske of Engineering Explained for a new series that's all about motor oil. Comment with your motor oil questions and stay tuned for the series!"

I love Engineering Explained. Its high quality content (unlike Scotty for example). I have seen almost all of them. Looking forward to it!

All that matters is that M1 is the official oil of NASCAR. Marketing is all that matters.

Originally Posted by buster
FYI

"It's time to get the facts. We're so stoked to be partnering with Jason Fenske of Engineering Explained for a new series that's all about motor oil. Comment with your motor oil questions and stay tuned for the series!"

Which motor oil is best for the management of carbon soot that enters into the crankcase?

Originally Posted by Ignatius
FYI

Which motor oil is best for the management of carbon soot that enters into the crankcase?

Not sure if thicker oil is better. But what's interesting is when I read that inexpensive cellulose filter media is best at trapping carbon.
That one got my attention quickly. Never bothered to save that document thou.... my bad. Probably because I generally always use cellulose anyways.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Is this a youtube series? or something on the mobil website?

buster's quote is from Mobil1's Facebook page. It looks like questions are being posted to the Engineering Explained FB page, which Mobil 1 has linked, although I'm not clear where the series will be. I'm guessing it will be part of Jason's EE YouTube channel, and perhaps he/Mobil 1 engineers will answer some questions in his videos, but the details are murky IMO.

21.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
FYI

Not sure if thicker oil is better. But what's interesting is when I read that inexpensive cellulose filter media is best at trapping carbon.
That one got my attention quickly. Never bothered to save that document thou.... my bad. Probably because I generally always use cellulose anyways.

I remember you mentioning that in another thread and I have been searching around for it as well. The more I have been reading up on carbon soot and its proclivity to agglomerate, like say on intake valves or in a crankcase or in an oil filter, the more I become inclined to believe that using an oil filter with depth media is the only meaningful solution anyone can do for a reasonable cost and effort.

Unless you want to go with a full on bypass filtration system and pay for it as well as put in the work to get it to work for you, the Fram Ultra/Titanium is the only spin on can oil filter to be using on any direct injection engine in which it is applicable. I am definitely interested in the notion that cellulose may be as effective, if not more effective, and would consider trying out a mixed media filter like the Fram Force/Tough Guard and try to gauge any difference.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Is this a youtube series? or something on the mobil website?

YouTube series that gives a great technical background on numerous automotive topics, Here is one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-MH4sf5xkY

Only "problem" I have with the guy is that he waves his hands and arms way too much. No, seriously, he has great content.

Here is an excellent overview of syns vs. conventionals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8

FYI

These days all oils with the same ratings are for all intents and purposes pretty much the same.

Back