M1 EP

Hey, Guys. Is this stuff good? I've pulled a few threads on here saying vanilla M1 isn't as good as it used to be. Does EP have Group 4 in it? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I'm planning on finding one oil and one filter to just run from here on out. I'm down to M1 EP, Royal Purple HPS, or Lucas full synthetic 0w20. I've found enough people happy with these three. But, M1 has always just had the recognition for being high quality. But, with current government regulations, I've read their oil just isn't like it used to be. Anyhow, wouldn't mind some thoughts.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Since1941
Hey, Guys. Is this stuff good? I've pulled a few threads on here saying vanilla M1 isn't as good as it used to be. Does EP have Group 4 in it? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I'm planning on finding one oil and one filter to just run from here on out. I'm down to M1 EP, Royal Purple HPS, or Lucas full synthetic 0w20. I've found enough people happy with these three. But, M1 has always just had the recognition for being high quality. But, with current government regulations, I've read their oil just isn't like it used to be. Anyhow, wouldn't mind some thoughts.

Cheers.

Personally I'm not an M1 fan. But also not a Lucas fan. And Royal Purple HPS is a great product, I've used it in various vehicles, but expensive and hard to find.

Why not settle on Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage which has great UOAs pretty much every time?

The reality is you could buy any brand of synthetic oil available at Walmart or your local auto parts store or even Costco Kirkland brand motor oil and change it when the OLM says to and get a long life out of your vehicle. But if you wanted to settle on one thing I'd vote Valvoline Full Syn Maxlife.[size:26pt][/size]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe

Cheers.

Personally I'm not an M1 fan. But also not a Lucas fan. And Royal Purple HPS is a great product, I've used it in various vehicles, but expensive and hard to find.

Why not settle on Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage which has great UOAs pretty much every time?

The reality is you could buy any brand of synthetic oil available at Walmart or your local auto parts store or even Costco Kirkland brand motor oil and change it when the OLM says to and get a long life out of your vehicle. But if you wanted to settle on one thing I'd vote Valvoline Full Syn Maxlife.[size:26pt][/size]

Napa has Royal Purple HPS for 7.00 a quart. Not too hard to get. I've only got 20k miles on my Jeep, so I never really considered Valvoline ML full synthetic.

Pennzoil (Ultra and Platinum) definitely felt smoother (and quieter) than any M1 oil in 2 Nissans we have and 2 Hondas (though burns a bit more). If that means anything. Both 5w30 and 0w20.

Last edited:

Cheers.

How many months/miles do you usually change your oil? Unless you're pushing boundaries, Kirkland syn at $12.50/5qts is probably fine. Or Super Tech at about $14/5qts.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Hey, Guys. Is this stuff good? I've pulled a few threads on here saying vanilla M1 isn't as good as it used to be. Does EP have Group 4 in it? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I'm planning on finding one oil and one filter to just run from here on out. I'm down to M1 EP, Royal Purple HPS, or Lucas full synthetic 0w20. I've found enough people happy with these three. But, M1 has always just had the recognition for being high quality. But, with current government regulations, I've read their oil just isn't like it used to be. Anyhow,

Cheers.

How many months/miles do you usually change your oil? Unless you're pushing boundaries, Kirkland syn at $12.50/5qts is probably fine. Or Super Tech at about $14/5qts.

My Jeep is heavy. It's my daily, and used as an overland rig. It's manual transmission, so when off the beaten path, I am cycling gears. I pamper all my stuff, so I want the best filter and oil, that makes sense.

Originally Posted by wemay
M1 EP and EDGE EP are excellent oils.

Are they running group 4/PAO?

Lookup the msds. 0w20 M1 EP 60--70%

M1 EP and EDGE EP are excellent oils.

Are they running group 4/PAO?

Lookup the msds. 0w20 M1 EP 60--70%

Thank you for that. EP seems pretty good then. Do we know if RP HPS is running quality base stocks? I remember reading, that based on a UOA, the API cert. stuff was kind of boring.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the big whoop about PAO?

This I have never seen anyone present documentation that showed it to be head and shoulder above other engine oils. Now if you could demonstrate It will give you say 250,000 miles more on the average engine well then I'd start getting impressed.

It's formulated for extended OCI's and most others are not … what's complicated about that …?

Originally Posted by 4WD
It's formulated for extended OCI's and most others are not … what's complicated about that …?

I'm not sure if this is directed at me. I'm not any expert with this stuff, like 98% of this site. I'm still trying to learn.

Originally Posted by 4WD

This

Originally Posted by 4WD

This

Once again, I'm not an expert. I understand it's for extended OCI's. I do a lot of overlanding, which might be a treck from the East Coast, to the West. This will include varying temps and conditions, with a heavy loaded rig. I want something stout, great at cleaning, and what will protect my motor from wear and tear during these conditions. I apologize, that you feel I'm confused or don't understand this. Thanks for checking in.

OP,

M1 EP is as good as they make them. Choose the appropriate viscosity for your application and worry about something else.

And you can do extended OCI too!

Originally Posted by OilReport99
OP,

M1 EP is as good as they make them. Choose the appropriate viscosity for your application and worry about something else.

And you can do extended OCI too!

Thank you!

Back