no SN plus for 5W40?

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I've been researching the best oil to use in my 1.6 liter gdi turbo. The manufacturer recommends 5w40, but you can use 5W30 for better fuel economy. I know that GDI motors are known for carbon buildup. I see that there is a SN plus rating that is supposed to help with that, but it seems that is only available in 5W30. Is it worth going down to 5W30 to get the SN plus?

Amsoil Signature Series 0w40 claims it meets the LSPI protection requirements.

You can try Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40, because it has SN Plus on the label
https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550051113-6PK-Platinum-Synthetic-0W-40/dp/B07TS3HQYM/ref=sr_1_9?crid=ZVACX59M661V&dchild=1&keywords=pennzoil+platinum+euro+5w-40&qid=1589733904&sprefix=pennzoil+platinum+%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-9

PPE 5w40 doesn't list anything according to the pictures on Amazon.
But, the downloadable product sheet says it has SN Plus Certification, which is at odds with the website. (But API's engine oil license page confirms that PPE Euro has SN Plus)

Since you live in Tennessee, if you're gonna run a 30 weight in your Hyundai, I'd go with a good 10w30 they should be generally be less volatile than a 5w30 and cause less blow-by into the PCV, and the cold weather pumpability of a 5w30 over a 10w30 isn't a big deal in TN. Although a good euro spec 5w40 probably has a pretty low volatility too, probably in between most 5w30 and 10w30 oils because 5w40 euro oils are designed for long oil change intervals in German cars where the manufacturers have very stringent specifications.

Delo® 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 is API SN PLUS and is available at many Walmart stores. There is also currently a rebate on the product.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Delo® 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 is API SN PLUS and is available at many Walmart stores. There is also currently a rebate on the product.

This is my favorite "sleeper" oil. Hard to beat once performance, price, and availability are all taken into consideration.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Delo rebate isn't available for purchases made at Wally World or pretty much any chain auto parts store, however Amazon has it for $18.85 and it should qualify for the rebate. Also Mobil1 Euro 0w40 is 22.88 at Wally and you can get a $10 rebate per jug, also a good choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Since you live in Tennessee, if you're gonna run a 30 weight in your Hyundai, I'd go with a good 10w30 they should be generally be less volatile than a 5w30 and cause less blow-by into the PCV, and the cold weather pumpability of a 5w30 over a 10w30 isn't a big deal in TN. Although a good euro spec 5w40 probably has a pretty low volatility too, probably in between most 5w30 and 10w30 oils because 5w40 euro oils are designed for long oil change intervals in German cars where the manufacturers have very stringent specifications.

Blow by is caused by the combustion by products. The oil volatility is insignificant when compared in volume to the blow by and oil mist in the crank case.FYI

Back