API SP Oils

I was perusing the Valvoline "Daily Protection" PDS and noticed that it was API SP rated. I thought SP was biased toward fuel economy and was quite surprised that Daily Protection's 5w-30 has a KV100 of 11.3, and HTHS of 3.3. That makes it among one of the thickest PCMO 30 weights out there, doesn't it? Looks like a great oil if one were looking at PDS in a vacuum. Curious if there is a VOA of this stuff anywhere.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I was perusing the Valvoline "Daily Protection" PDS and noticed that it was API SP rated. I thought SP was biased toward fuel economy and was quite surprised that Daily Protection's 5w-30 has a KV100 of 11.3, and HTHS of 3.3. That makes it among one of the thickest PCMO 30 weights out there, doesn't it? Looks like a great oil if one were looking at PDS in a vacuum. Curious if there is a VOA of this stuff anywhere.

Mobil1 ESP 5w-30 KV100 11.8 HTHS 3.5

Mobil1 ESP 0w-30 KV100 12.0 HTHS Not given.

Originally Posted by Mainia

I don't consider M1 ESP a PCMO since it's a diesel rated oil (API SJ among others) which are on the thick end of the spectrum by design.

I don't consider M1 ESP a PCMO since it's a diesel rated oil (API SJ among others) which are on the thick end of the spectrum by design.

Is is car rated too, It was the Corvette/Camaro oil for years, till 0w-40 ESP became the new oil just to fill a void for "daily/track day" events.

Is is car rated too, It was the Corvette/Camaro oil for years, till 0w-40 ESP became the new oil just to fill a void for "daily/track day" events.

Wrong. M1 5w-30 ESP was never spec'd for the corvette. You're confusing ESP with the regular M1 5w-30 which the corvette did spec.

It's API SN, SM, SL and SJ licensed, all four of which are current API licenses as well as ILSAC GF-5. I guess I'd call that a PCMO unless you're looking for a some other specific gasoline engine approval.

It has been a short time and the world is also in a covid state. Im not suprised......my local Wallymart oil shelf has lots of bare spots.

My mistake, I saw API SJ in the ESP literature and my mind immediately went to diesel spec, as in CJ-4 (not S).

Last time I bought ESP the bottle referenced low emission diesel technology, DPF and such in a way that I came away thinking it was developed for use in light duty diesel engines. I recognize it's dual rated however, as are most diesel oils.

Not saying there aren't thick 30 weight oils out there, there's certainly plenty of European and diesel stuff available.

But I was surprised to see a modern (SP rated) PCMO that's gotten thicker when the trend over the past 20+ years has been going the other direction. Correct me if I'm wrong but this oil carries none of the major European certs or diesel ratings.

The 0w-40 ESP variant is recommended by GM for all performance V8s in the camaro/corvette. Just picked up some of the 5w30 variant and looking forward to trying it in my miata.

Originally Posted by buddylpal

Wrong. M1 5w-30 ESP was never spec'd for the corvette. You're confusing ESP with the regular M1 5w-30 which the corvette did spec.

I agree. M1 5w-30 has been the factory fill for all corvettes for years now until i believe in 2019 where the factory fill was 0w40 ESP. Because it can double duty daily and track purposes. I still use 5w30 in my corvette because i don't "track" the car.

Those are Euro specd. oils. Both HTHS is min. 3.5.
API is irrelevant in this case.

Back