'New Yubase' base oil

pbm

In the recent thread on NOACK...Gokhan posted an informative graph which showed that 'New Yubase' base oil approaches
the performance of PAO and GTL base oils (despite being Gr.III...I believe). Yubase is made by SK lubricants of South Korea who is one of the world's largest producers of Gr.III base oils.
I know that Motorcraft 'full synthetic' SM rated that was on 'CLEARANCE' a few years ago at AA said "Product of Korea....Blended and packaged in the USA" on the label so I'm sure it used
Yubase.. (although that was probably not 'new' Yubase being that it was from the SM era). Does anybody know which companies (products) are using 'New Yubase' base oils today?

Also, I didn't realize that there were 'subclasses' of Gr.III oils....Gr.IIId...Gr.IIIc….Gr.IIIb etc...Does anybody know the significance of these letters after the Gr.III?

Does anybody know which companies (products) are using 'New Yubase' base oils today?

Any oil company or blender that does not have their own refinery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Any oil company that does not have their own refinery.

I guess that would mean Valvoline for one....So are we to assume that 'new Yubase' is a better base oil than the Gr.III base oil made by Chevron, Conoco Phillips,... etc?

Chevron developed and patented the Group III process and licenses it to other companies.

YUBASE can be classified in many ways depending on the manufacturing process and products characteristics :

- Group III Base Oil
- VHVI Base Oils (applies to base oils with Viscosity Index above 120)
- Hydrocracked Base Oil
- UCBO (UnConventional Base Oils) This usually applies to base oils with characteristics superior to API
Group II base oils.

They may have tweaked a step in their conversion process but it is still Group III.

Last edited:
Mola:
The chart* posted by Ghokan in the 'Noack of Mobil1 AP" thread (which was locked because of name calling) shows 'New Yubase' to be closer to PAO and GTL than
Gr.III d,c,b and a (whatever those are)…..this leads me to conclude that 'New Yubase' is the most superior of the Gr. III base oils. My understanding is that Yubase is only made by SK lubricants of South Korea….are you saying that any base oil manufacturer can make 'New Yubase'?

* The chart is from the 2nd Asia Pacific base oil conference in Oct. 2007....13 years ago.....so I guess 'New Yubase' isn't so new anymore.....

Last edited:
Back