2012 L96 6.0L Vortec Oil Choice

I recently acquired a 2012 GM 1-ton van with the 6.0L engine, 90K miles and 1900 engine hours. Don't know the history of oil change frequency or type, but will be replacing leaky oil cooler lines soon and want suggestions on a good oil to run moving forward. Manual recommends Dexos 5W30 but I'm on the fence about using up some basic Chevron I got from Costco or going to synthetic 0W30 since I sometimes see -40° temps and will be towing heavy loads occasionally (10K pounds).

I STRONGLY recommend Rotella Gas truck 5W30 it's dexos certified Its full syn and made for your needs also you Might get lucky and find some remaining at Autozone for $2 a qt on clearance
thumbsup2.gif
And to top it off there is a $10 rebate on top also
thumbsup2.gif

or if you have a Tractor supply neear by they have Mobil 1 Truck/SUV @ Tractor supply for $15 a 5qt jug on clearance

Dave

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Low hours for 90K miles. We have one 2016 2500 6.0L that runs around a pulp mill that has 33,000 miles and 6800 hours. The one I drive once in a while, mostly around a rail yard (2017 6.0L) has 3x the miles and less than half the hours. I witnessed the 16 with no oil pressure at -38F one morning using 5W30 Dexos. I found the cheapest solution is either 5 gallon pails of T6 0w40, or 5 liter jugs of M1 FS Euro 0w40 on sale. Mobil Delvac 0w40 would be a good year round oil for your 6L, but it's not cheap.
At 90K miles & 8 years old, time to do the transmission, diff, power steering and brake fluid.

I have a 2008 6.0 that reached 200,000 miles using various brands of 5w30 synthetic motor oil. It still does not consume oil between changes.

This winter I used Pennzoil Platinum 0w30 Euro LX and for the summer will probably be going to a 5w40. I noticed the oil pressure during idling is a bit lower than when it was new. The oil pressure at highway speed is the same as new.

With your mileage I would just run Dexos 5w30 year round or 0w30 in the winter if you do a lot of cold starts.
smile.gif

We use 3500 Express/Savanas at full gvwr (9700 pounds) in a hard duty cycle. These 6.0 engines routinely reach high mileages. We use whatever syn is on sale, follow the OLM.

I have an 06 in my lot with 228k miles on her that still runs great and does not leak or consume oil.

5W-30 is great for these trucks. Note that GM runs all trans fluid and engine oil into the radiator so everything gets nice and hot. Keep your stock t-stat!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my local Autozone has no Rotella Gas Truck oil left. I think I'll use Kirkland Dexos 5w30 for now. Really love this powertrain combination. I got a hand calculated 18.3 mpg taking it easy on my mostly rural commute last week.
Will be changing all fluids soon. Need to check for coolant leak, as I sometimes smell coolant when engine is hot.

I would run a 0w-30. Such as Mobil 1 0w-30 or Amsoil 0w-30.

Also would be nice to heat the oil pan and transmission pan, also a battery blanket and you should be good to go.

Also if you have any grease fittings? Tie rods, etc. Grease w/ a grease that is rating for low temps.

Back