Petro Canada 20L bucket

Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with the 20L buckets of Petro Canada oil ?

I recently purchased their conventional 5w30 for my 06 corolla(1zz). I have been using quaker state but at $42 Canadian on sale at PartsSource it was too hard to resist.

Thanks in advance for any reviews.

Last edited:
Petrocanada lubricants are completely legitimate. Look for the SAE and other approvals on the containers. The lubricants are manufactured by Holley Frontier in Mississauga, Ontario. I believe Holley Frontier's output is 15,000 bbls per day of lubricants. I don't believe Petrocanada products show up at the usual Walmart and Canadian Tire outlets but are instead marketed by their bulk distribution and Petrocanada branded gas stations. The Petrocanada name is owned by Suncor who also owns much of the Oil Sands production capacity in Canada and is an integrated Company with a lot of refining capacity.

There is a political dimension to the company because it was created by the Canadian Federal government in 1973, much like Norway's Statoil, but was privatized in 1990. It eventually merged with Suncor in 2009.

Last edited:
I use Petro-Canada Duron HP 15W-40 across my fleet, with the exception of one vehicle. I buy my oil in their 20 liter black buckets all the time.

Originally Posted by atikovi
What does a 20 liter bucket weigh? Like 40 pounds? How do you pour it into your engine without spraining your back or spilling it all over the engine?

Obviously, you're not going to use the bucket to fill your sump. You recycle a 5 liter jug or two with a clear, marked measurement on the side to see how much you're pouring in, and use that to refill your sump accordingly.

What does a 20 liter bucket weigh? Like 40 pounds? How do you pour it into your engine without spraining your back or spilling it all over the engine?

There are different kinds of pumps you can buy including one where you remove the plastic lid and replace it with a integral steel lid and pump. Super popular for those who operate fleets.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with the 20L buckets of Petro Canada oil ?

I recently purchased their conventional 5w30 for my 06 corolla(1zz). I have been using quaker state but at $42 Canadian on sale at PartsSource it was too hard to resist.

Awesome price. I've been considering buying an 18.9L barrel of 10w30 hdeo to run in my Caprice, Cutlass and 05 Silverado at least for summer time. I run synthetic 0w30 or 0w40 in the winter.

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS

Obviously, you're not going to use the bucket to fill your sump. You recycle a 5 liter jug or two with a clear, marked measurement on the side to see how much you're pouring in, and use that to refill your sump accordingly.

OK but that still must be awkward, even with a funnel. At least it was when I had a 5 gallon pail of hydraulic fluid to pour out. Spilled a good bit of it. They don't make a pump you can use like on 55 gallon drums?

I haven't used Petro Canada oil, but I know it's good stuff. How long will it take you to use that 20L bucket? I would prefer full synthetic for Winter months. What was the price of the 20L bucket?

I haven't bought oil at Partsource in a very long time. Usually Walmart has better deals on Black Friday or Boxing day.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Pump for 20 l pail.
smile.gif

Yes that's what I was thinking, but at $50, kinda defeats the purpose saving money buying in pail size quantities.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Pump for 20 l pail.
smile.gif

Yes that's what I was thinking, but at $50, kinda defeats the purpose saving money buying in pail size quantities.

$ 50 CDN, for you, $35 US. Check Harbour freight, they're probably cheaper.
smile.gif

Last edited:

welcome2.gif
I have the 5w30 Supreme Synthetic in my wife's 2014 Terrain. I use my Petro Points, so my last oil change was free. Well, actually
it cost $6 for the filter.
grin.gif
cheers3.gif

OK but that still must be awkward, even with a funnel. At least it was when I had a 5 gallon pail of hydraulic fluid to pour out. Spilled a good bit of it. They don't make a pump you can use like on 55 gallon drums?

If you look at the 5L jugs used by Liqui-Moly, the cap has two openings. The upper opening has an "easy pour" feature, much like a can of Pentosin CHF-11S, where you pull out an almost built in, clear, rubber funnel to control the flow. Petro-Canada buckets are the exact same way, the flow of oil pouring out is easy to control. You just have to ensure the smaller cap on the opposite side is also open, so the oil flows out easier.

I just put a funnel I bought from Walmart on top of the jug for good measure and pour it in, never had any problems. The first time you pour, you just have to be careful you don't tip the bucket too much, otherwise some oil might drip as you pull the bucket away. Other than that, you just need good lighting to see when it's up to level, so you know when to stop.

Personally, I don't see the need to invest in a pump for a 20 liter bucket; especially as you go through it. A pump would be understandable if this was a 208 liter drum, but when there's 15 liters or less in there, the second or third time you use it, you really don't even need the funnel on the jug.

How many liters are in a cubic meter of water?
How much does a cubic meter of water weigh?
How much does one liter of water weigh?
A mono grade engine oil weighs about 90% of water weight.
Times 20. Plus the weight of the pail.

Great to see another PC oil user! I am running their Duron 10w30 and Duradrive ATF in my 2017 ram 3500. Great stuff and very reasonably priced. I also like Federated Co-op oils. While their motor oils have drastically increased in price, they are somewhat competitive but I have been using their drivetrain oils for many years now. I think I paid around 8$ a litre, all in for their full synthetic group 4 75w90 gear oil in a 5 litre jug and around 9$ all in per litre for 80w140 in a 20L pail and around 9.50$ a litre all in for their group 4 based ATF SL. All great fluids and have not broken the bank to buy.

Back