What's the greatest amount of miles on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not changing oil?

Single outta college student bought new Corolla and left break in oil in for 1900 miles (so she says)

Highschool student nearby, left dino in an 89 Camry 17, 200 miles and it was running low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford Ranger 4 cyl over 30k never changed from factory. All highway and owner claimed it was a waste as all of his vehicles were done this way. Claimed only top off needed and he was trading it in. Said he would only keep a year and oil should be good for a year. This was early 80's. When I worked at Chevrolet had an Impala come in for warranty with motor locked up just over 20k. Customer claimed new vehicles didn't need oil changes and salesman never told her what schedule for oil change. There are more but the longest I can remember at this moment. I went 15k on a 60's pickup but I don't think that counts as I would fill it up with oil and check gas (8mpg hwy)

A neighbor's friend bought a then new 1988 Buick LeSabre with the 3800 V6. Didn't change the oil in 29,000 miles from new. Engine locked up. Wonder why.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
A neighbor's friend bought a then new 1988 Buick LeSabre with the 3800 V6. Didn't change the oil in 29,000 miles from new. Engine locked up. Wonder why.

LOL was probably out of oil.

Had a 2015 Kia Sedona 3.3L V6 come in with a blown engine at 26,000 miles. Engine Oil never changed.
KIA recommends 3,750 mile oil changes in Canada (severe service schedule)
Replaced it with a used engine with 7,000 miles on it.

Don`t know if this counts but back in the 50`s an Uncle who was a traveling salesman with a 52 Caddy coupe never changed the oil, only changed the filter and topped off every 1500 to 3000 miles.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Don`t know if this counts but back in the 50`s an Uncle who was a traveling salesman with a 52 Caddy coupe never changed the oil, only changed the filter and topped off every 1500 to 3000 miles.

I've had someone tell me that they just topped off. Can't imagine what it looked like under the valve covers.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Actually it locked up from oil starvation due to sludge buildup.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Actually it locked up from oil starvation due to sludge buildup.

That'll do it..woulda been cheaper to just change the oil regularly.

Last edited:
My van-pool owner went 18,000 without oil changes b/c he had a baby and never drove that van. Mid 2000's Chevy 6.0 didn't sound great. Eventually got a bulk oil change and sounded better.

At least one major trucking company uses the lost oil method in which a calibrated amount of engine oil is sent over to the fuel tank to be burned. As it was related to me the filter change interval is followed and the operators are expected to check oil levels.

Back in high school I knew a guy who bought a 69 Camaro new which I believe was a 350 CID. He went 32,000 miles on the factory fill just topping it off. He tore that car up. Idiot!!

Knew a guy that only added oil to his Ford ranger 4cyl. It burned quite a bit. He did it for the few years that I knew him. It was still running when he moved away.

Knew a Lt. Col. in the Air Force that didn't believe in changing his oil. He thought adding a quart when it needed it was good enough. Traded in his Cadillac on a new one every so often. Never had an engine failure as far as I know.

^ In a sick engine that burns or leaks a lot, failing to ever drain the oil wouldn't necessarily cause further trouble, as long as the correct oil level is maintained with make-up oil. That's only if it's losing more than would be needed for regular changes at normal intervals in a healthier version of the same engine.

Abused fleet vehicles regularly go 20,000 miles between LOF services, The GM 4.3L is known to deal with it the best.

Granted...These vehicles are never short tripped & some never even cool down with multiple drivers on shifts.

My grandfather had a 1981 Pontiac Bonneville with 26k on it when he gave it to me in 2002. Don't think he ever changed the oil. He said changing the oil was "just wasting it". The rest of the car was also totally unmaintained.

Last edited:
The cars may run fine for a while but inside the engine will look like alien gut from that movie.
I had a friend who changed oil very infrequently and he was working on his engine and iirc, changing the gasket (Honda civic I think) and it looked nasty
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back