Stout 5w30 meeting SN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wrangler with the 2.0 turbo specs a SN+ 5w30. I plan on towing with it frequently and am wondering if there are 5w30 oils out there that are known to be more stout than some others.

What is stout oil?

Quaker State UD, or RGT would work fine, they are slightly thicker in viscosity and hold up well to engines that stress the oil more.

I am curious, What do you plan on towing with the wrangler?

Last edited:
5w30 Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, currently clearance for $14.99 at most Tractor Supply Stores. I picked up 5w20 and 5w30 last week.

if cost is no object Amsoil Signiture series. a close sseocnd would be Pennziol Ultra platinum. Even the Amsoil commercial....aahheemmm. reviewer... on youtube said if you cant get Amsoil then use PUP.

It to is relatively inexpensive at walamart now at $20.xx /5 qt jug.

really i would make a first run with regular synthetic and see what the results are. if its obviously thinned out at the end of an oci, then switch to something else, if not the do a single UOI to see if the visual analysis matches a lab test.

I tow my boat with a regular 2007 4.0v6 toyota tacoma and run whatever is on sale. everything from M1,PP, PUP, RGT, QSUD, PYB, ST. Magnetec, valvoline

not much difference between any of them after a 5k oci. I get oil so cheap (anywhere from getting paid -$2/jug to $12/5qt jug (sales/clearance/rebates) i dont bother with a 10k oci.

Last edited:
Delo XSP 400 is full syn, CK-4/SN+, 12.1cSt at 100c, 10.0 TBN and HTHS of 3.5. About as "thick" as you can get without being an Xw40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Stewart Fan
My Wrangler with the 2.0 turbo specs a SN+ 5w30. I plan on towing with it frequently and am wondering if there are 5w30 oils out there that are known to be more stout than some others.

Does it strictly specify SN+ (which is not strict requirement anyway)? If not, go anything ACEA A3/B3 B4 that also has MB229.5 approval. Those oils are much better performers than anything ILSAC GF-5.

Originally Posted by Stewart Fan

What are you towing?.... lawn equipment. Most likely it'll be frequent light hauls with a 2.0. The heaviest SN Plus Dexos1 / Gen2 I found was Pennzoil Gold Blend..... 100cst is 11.7. I plan on blending a little with my thin regular Pennzoil Platinum. It's a 9.8CST and I'm moving that number up a notch to 10.4 or-so. I'm figuring a blend of two Pennzoil Golds and three Pennzoil Platinum 5W30s for my Hyundai next OCI.

The only Stout you need is right after towing light equipment. That would be a pint of Guinness Stout.
Just don't drink & drive.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
What is stout oil?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Stout is a dark, top-fermented oil with a number of variations, including dry stout, Baltic porter, milk stout, and imperial stout. The first known use of the word stout for oil was in a document dated 1677 found in the Egerton Manuscripts, the sense being that a "stout oil" was a strong oil, not a dark oil

Originally Posted by Anduril
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
What is stout oil?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Stout is a dark, top-fermented oil with a number of variations, including dry stout, Baltic porter, milk stout, and imperial stout. The first known use of the word stout for oil was in a document dated 1677 found in the Egerton Manuscripts, the sense being that a "stout oil" was a strong oil, not a dark oil

Brilliant!

Stout is the dumbest word on Bob. It means nothing having to do with motor oil. It is practically a shared delusion on here.

Originally Posted by wdn
Stout is the dumbest word on Bob. It means nothing having to do with motor oil. It is practically a shared delusion on here.

Take it easy there buddy. Maybe you prefer Robust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back