Home

New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look)

Posted By: dedonderosa

New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 03:03 PM

Well looks like VW/Audi has officially switched brands from Castrol to their own Branded oil. which you can see by the bottles is Mobil.

all other weight oil will all be under VW high performance oil (mobil)

this is the only oil ive seen so far! 0W30
This oil is rated 507.00 for all common-rail TDIs and fully backwards compatible with the 505.01 standard, too, making it suitable fro all TDIs

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Chris Meutsch

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 03:17 PM

Ohh, GENUINE oil........good thing it's real.
Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 03:18 PM

Remember the retail price?
Posted By: tundraotto

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 03:23 PM

That's an Exxon/Mobil bottle shape/mold.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 03:26 PM

$7.88 EA

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by tundraotto

thats because it is. VW is now using Mobil thumbsup
Posted By: dbias

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 03:41 PM

But does it have the manufacturer approval? hide
Posted By: dpaldino

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 04:06 PM

I just checked the Castrol website and VW/Audi are no longer shown as one of Castrol's "partners". Nothing yet on the Mobil website.
Posted By: Sayjac

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 04:10 PM

Yep, safe to say it's XOM manufactured oil. Bottle same design as current Mobil Super Synthetic.

"Genuine Nissan Motor Oil" same bottle design as shown here.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 04:11 PM

all i heard is that this oil is nothing you can buy off the shelf. all the new oils are MADE TO VW SPECS and what they wanted!!!!. Im 100% sure its top notch good stuff esp how strict they are with specs !

Posted By: JOD

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by dedonderosa
$7.88 EA

huh....that's cheaper than you can normally fine M1 0W30 ESP. I did pick up a couple of changes on sale for $5.99, but that's a pretty solid deal.
Posted By: Finklejag

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 04:48 PM

Yep, I usually pick up the ESP 0w30 at Napa for $5.99 when they're on sale a few times during the year.
Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 05:02 PM

$7.88 EA

Inexpensive for sure.
Posted By: scurvy

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 05:38 PM

This oil is rated 507.00 for all common-rail TDIs and fully backwards compatible with the 505.01 standard, too, making it suitable fro all TDIs

While it may be back-spec'd to 505.01, please, no one ever needs to run this in a PD TDI. Stick with 5w40 CJ or newer oil... the higher the HTHS, the better.
Posted By: Audios

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by scurvy

While it may be back-spec'd to 505.01, please, no one ever needs to run this in a PD TDI. Stick with 5w40 CJ or newer oil... the higher the HTHS, the better.

This. But thats definitely the old Super bottles.
Posted By: wemay

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 07:42 PM

interesting and also brought up in a different thread. It still says this on the Castrol website...

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/home/technology-and-innovation.html

We develop and test hundreds of new products every year and our teams work closely with leading industry original equipment manufacturers, who we supply with a broad range of lubricants designed for particular operating conditions and environments. Many of our products are recommended by and co-engineered with major vehicle manufacturers, including Audi, Ford, Honda, Jaguar Land Rover, MAN, Seat, Skoda, Tata, Volkswagen and Volvo.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 08:39 PM

it is in fact Made by Exxon/Mobil. Castrol is no more

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 09:07 PM

I'll wait for the official newsletter before proclaiming a change. Especially since the dealerships around here still use Castrol and say it's what VW recommends. But if it does occur, you cannot go wrong with Mobil. Although a Mobil1 bottle would inspire more confidence than a....MobilSuper one (just kidding of couarse smile )
Posted By: KCJeep

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 09:09 PM

Interesting. I wonder how long till this shows up at dealer parts counters for sale? I inquired about 0w30 9 months ago and my dealer had exactly 6 quarts on hand, presumably Castrol OE, and they wanted 10 bucks a quart for it.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 09:20 PM

The only thing official i've seen has been this 2018 press release...

https://industryeurope.com/bp-and-castrol-announce-extension-of-global-partnership-with/

https://pronounce.media/press-relea...ronounce-concierge-service/2018-01-09/87

I wonder if Castrol will supply the 0W20 VW508.00, and the remaining specs supplied Mobil? Doesn't make sense but you never know.

Attached picture Capture.PNG
Posted By: Audios

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 09:42 PM

Castrol also lost BMW/Mini recently, wonder why

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 09:48 PM

VW dealers can no longer order Castrol oil as they are no longer dealing with castrol. Call any dealer and ask. they will tell you. all of the new oil is in fact manufactured 10000000% by mobil and branded and boxed at Genuine VW oil. As of 01/01/2020

you will soon see ALL vw oils weight soon come boxed and bottled this way.

If you go to a dealer and they give you castrol its becuase its what they have left and once that is gone in the dealer thats it.
Posted By: BBDartCA

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 10:23 PM

Anybody know what Mobil product this is? Surely it is a private label version of something already in the market.
Posted By: Jimmy_Russells

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Anybody know what Mobil product this is? Surely it is a private label version of something already in the market.

It's either rebottled 0w30 ESP, or 99% the same.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 10:52 PM

VW dealers can no longer order Castrol oil as they are no longer dealing with castrol. Call any dealer and ask. they will tell you. all of the new oil is in fact manufactured 10000000% by mobil and branded and boxed at Genuine VW oil. As of 01/01/2020

you will soon see ALL vw oils weight soon come boxed and bottled this way.

If you go to a dealer and they give you castrol its becuase its what they have left and once that is gone in the dealer thats it.

Well, you are absolutely correct and i stand corrected. I just called the same two dealerships as i had a couple weeks ago but this time asked to speak with the Parts Department. The two gentlemen i spoke with said the same thing. "Castrol is the offiicial brand but VW is moving away from them and towards their own branded oil in a black bottle". one of the parts Technicians even told me "the bottle actually looks like a Mobil1 bottle". I'm sure he meant Mobil.
Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 11:03 PM

oh no I put French oil in my VW.

Its Curtains!

Can I re-use the drained Green oil for

Pomme Frite

I d love to know what was put in my car in Mexico( or Germany If prefilled) It was truly stunning oil.

The MOTUL is just like MOBIL but from across the pond.
Posted By: bachman

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 01/31/20 11:10 PM

I must have the "new stuff". My dealer LOF of 2 days ago confirms the update.
It shows the oil part # as G E555401BDSP and below that description on the 2nd line, "part interchanges with G052167S0".
Casterol Edge done/gone for the VW/Audi product here I guess.

Looking online by G-E55-540-1B-DSP, there no ref image or photo as the one posted above ont his thread "G-E55-030-1Q-DSP". The cost shows it $16 to $18 with no pack size listed at a dozen or so sources.
This is LOF v#2 on the car- 11,180 miles.

Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/01/20 01:01 AM

Well looks like VW/Audi has officially switched brands from Castrol to their own Branded oil. which you can see by the bottles is Mobil.

[Linked Image]

Check out the bottle design and the graphics of this bottle of Mercedes Benz transmission oil. Seem similar?

Attached picture 0D98222A-AA58-4BF6-9BCD-472BFBFC6791.jpeg
Posted By: 4WD

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/01/20 02:14 AM

The AC Delco Dex VI I used recently was in that bottle - calmer label … LoL

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/01/20 04:08 AM

The bottle tells the story....Exxon/Mobil product.....Mobil Super/SuperSyn bottle.....AC Delco, VW, and all the others that use that bottle.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 10:55 AM

The bottle tells the story....Exxon/Mobil product.....Mobil Super/SuperSyn bottle.....AC Delco, VW, and all the others that use that bottle.

And technically...
It's the Mobil1 ESP bottle shape as well, not just Mobil Super. Which as stated by the OP, lends credence to the possibility of this oil being M1 ESP X2.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by wemay

And technically...
It's the Mobil1 ESP bottle shape as well, not just Mobil Super. Which as stated by the OP, lends credence to the possibility of this oil being M1 ESP X2.

Incorrect.
Mobil 1 bottles have a completely different molded shape.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 05:12 PM

And technically...

Incorrect.

Not to mention X2 is 0w20

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 06:17 PM

And technically...

Incorrect.

Sorry but you are mistaken here. All Mobil1 ESP bottles (as i initially stated), including the X2 0W-20 are the same bottle shape/mold as Mobil Super. Take a look for yourself...
All other Mobil1 variants use the bottle with the sharp upper right edge.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 06:39 PM

Ho ho ho

Attached picture 1B4468DD-C6D5-499F-B561-BED15E242157.jpeg

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 06:56 PM

And technically...

Incorrect.

Sorry but you are mistaken here. All Mobil1 ESP bottles (as i initially stated), including the X2 0W-20 are the same bottle shape/mold as Mobil Super. Take a look for yourself...
All other Mobil1 variants use the bottle with the sharp upper right edge.

Both bottle shapes you pictured are ESP

If I had to guess I would say the French made stuff has the Super type bottle and the US made stuff has the regular M1 bottle.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 07:25 PM

Euro sites use that bottle and so do US sites for several things - it is basically the "other" Mobil bottle

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 08:19 PM

Keeping this in context, I was refering to the quart bottles sold in the US. I'm sure bottles vary overseas. The Pep Boys near me sells M1 ESP quarts. The bottle is exactly the same shape as Mobil Super.
Posted By: Rodmiser

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 08:59 PM

Sorry, but now we need 508.00

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 09:22 PM

Keeping this in context, I was refering to the quart bottles sold in the US. I'm sure bottles vary overseas. The Pep Boys near me sells M1 ESP quarts. The bottle is exactly the same shape as Mobil Super.

It's old stock. 'ESP Formula' was changed to 'ESP' a few years ago. They were both made in France and had the Super bottles. Shortly after changing to just 'ESP' production moved to USA, which also moved to GTL based, and they also changed to the other style bottles at some point.

In any event the OP oil is not is X2 because that is 0w20.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

It's old stock. 'ESP Formula' was changed to 'ESP' a few years ago. They were both made in France and had the Super bottles. Shortly after changing to just 'ESP' production moved to USA, which also moved to GTL based, and they also changed to the other style bottles at some point.

I see, thanks for the background. I've yet to see a different bottle than this, even in X2 guise but will keep an eye out...

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 10:13 PM

I see, thanks for the background. I've yet to see a different bottle than this, even in X2 guise but will keep an eye out...

You posted one earlier on this page in 5W30. That's why I am confused because what you are saying doesn't match the pictures you posted.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rodmiser
Sorry, but now we need 508.00

0W-20 has VW508.00

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 10:28 PM

Think we'd all agree MSS and TGMO were not the same product but had the same Mobil "other" bottle for a long time.
Posted By: Tundra73

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/06/20 10:50 PM

Yep, Mobil has the newer bottle on their website picture now: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/07/20 12:27 AM

Thanks Tundra73.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/07/20 12:31 AM

You posted one earlier on this page in 5W30. That's why I am confused because what you are saying doesn't match the pictures you posted.

You know what? I didn't even notice that was ESP to the right when i posted it. I thought it was AFE. Sorry for the confusion Jimmy_Russells.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/07/20 04:51 PM

Heres the new 5w40

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BurntMusic

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/08/20 03:13 AM

That's interesting. Did you plan to do a VOA for the 5w40? I'm curious if it's any different than the Castrol 5w40 they've been using forever it seems.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/08/20 06:56 AM

Saw that and the OW-30 that's designated for the Atlas while picking up my change kit as well. They've really switched over pretty quickly. I didn't see Castrol bottles anywhere in sight.

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/08/20 03:44 PM

currently VW is using the 0W30 In the atlas and 2019+ Golf R

the 3.6 VR6 atlas is unchanged from when they specd 5W40 and now using 0w30
Posted By: Bjornviken

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/08/20 05:23 PM

mobil 1 euro bottle for sure
Posted By: BurntMusic

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/09/20 01:06 AM

Could it be related to this?

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-synthetic-euro#5W-40

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/18/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BurntMusic

it very much could be that oil just in the black bottles. i do not know for sure
Posted By: Olas

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/18/20 02:50 PM

99% of VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat in EU use VW Quantum Synta Oil - its the official branded stuff available from all VW parts depts. Im believe (but do not know 100%) that it is also used by Bentley and Lamborghini.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&rlz=1C1PRFI_enGB817GB817&sxsrf=ACYBGNROmpyHj4xr7JsH1LCe_tSVRnoNJw%3A1582037380773&ei=hPlLXqTiLu-I1fAPgLSkwAQ&q=quantum+oil+vw&oq=quantum+oil+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0j0i20i263j0l8.9459.11524..14113...0.0..0.89.595.8......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i30j0i22i30j0i273j0i131i273j0i67j0i131j0i3.WEJbCxrggm4
Posted By: Quadrasteer

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/24/20 05:11 PM

Is there an official site for this new oil? My dealer says there are 3 versions/weights, if the 0-30 & the 5-40 are 505 compatible, which would be the better choice? Most here didn't like the Castrol 5-40...also, what is the other weight that this VW oil comes in?

From the Audi site: "For gasoline
engines, you can use oil with a viscosity of SAE 5W-40 across all
temperature ranges for normal driving conditions. However, if that
grade is not available, you can use 5W-30 or an alternate viscosity
grade as long as it meets the proper Audi oil-quality standard. For
Diesel engines use SAE 5W-30."
Posted By: riggaz

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/25/20 08:55 AM

It's Mobil Super 3000 X1 5w-40 by the look of it.
Posted By: riggaz

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/25/20 08:58 AM

Quantum is VAG UK oil brand bud. In VAG workshops they tend to use Castrol and then over the counter sales or at TPS cenres they sell Quantum which is made by Fuchs in the UK.

I don't think the Quantum oils count towards dealer targets.
Posted By: Quadrasteer

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/27/20 01:07 AM

GE550301QDSP 0W-30 504. 507.

GE555401QDSP 5W-40 502.

GE525771LDSP 0W-20 508. 509.
Posted By: splinter

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/28/20 12:30 AM

I tend to prefer products labeled "high performance."

Or "heavy-duty."
Posted By: Bjornviken

Re: New VW BRANDED OIL (have a look) - 02/28/20 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by riggaz
Quantum is VAG UK oil brand bud. In VAG workshops they tend to use Castrol and then over the counter sales or at TPS cenres they sell Quantum which is made by Fuchs in the UK.

I don't think the Quantum oils count towards dealer targets.

never heard of that brand.. overhere its castrol or M1 they use
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy