Oil Recommendations For Leaks?

Does anyone have a good oil recommendation for a vehicle that has some slow leaks?

I have been running Supertech (Warren) high mileage synthetic 5w-20.

Recently I switched to Mobil 1 0w-40 because I felt like it. My truck has a few slow oil seeps that I do not want to repair right now ($$$). Should I keep running the M1 or switch to a 5w-30 HM syn? Recommendations? Thanks!

If it's a slow leak then I wonder if it leaks when hot--in which case any oil (which thins under heat) is going to leak.

In hot 'ole Florida I wonder if you are fine with a HM 10W30 and call it a day. 5W20 is fine I'd think (originally spec'd, no?), not sure you need a 40, but it isn't hurting anything, but I don't see why you'd need a 0W at all, unless if the particular oil has other properties that you want and that's what it is.

Almost became the second post on this thread. I was going to say that most people will say Valvoline and that you should try a number of different brands to see which works best in your vehicle. Posts two and three cover these points exactly.

If a HM motor oil doesn't do the trick, try LiquiMoly Oil Saver. You can start with the recommended 300ml dose and taper off in subsequent oil changes. Worked for me, saving a very expensive front cover leak replacement on a Ford V-6.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Sounds like it's been burning oil for the last two years or so:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4724756/oil-consumption#Post4724756

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-hm-oil-to-treat-consumption#Post4815864

I thought it had been consuming oil. It may or may not have been. I just got around to fixing a couple slow leaks including the valve cover gaskets and the vtec solenoid gaskets/o-rings. It needed a valve adjustment pretty bad which I did as well. Not sure if this would help with consumption. I was told by a shop that the rear cam seal was leaking($$$)... Not really sure if this was true or maybe just another leak made it appear that it was leaking. Anyways, I figure the right oil couldn't hurt so that's where I'm at with it.

Originally Posted by shurguywutt
I was told by a shop that the rear cam seal was leaking($$$)

Cam seals are usually replaced when doing the valve cover gasket. Not a hard job.

Last edited:
I replaced the seals the other week. Kinda a pain on the J35... Took me a couple hours and some beat up knuckles/forearms. They were pretty brittle and I am sure they were leaking some oil. Now I just have to change the oil filter housing gasket and hopefully take care of all of my leaks.

Try Harvest King King HM or ST HM

Is the regular Supertech High Mileage actually a synthetic blend? If so I may switch from Havoline HM Synthetic Blend to the ST HM in my 2006 Taurus w/ 3L Vulcan V-6. Kinda nervous about switching to a FS HM oil, and leaks being revealed. :unsure:

I used the Supertech HM in my 1997 Civic 1.6L for many years, before selling the car with over 275k on it, still running strong. It seemed to be a very good oil for that car.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Sounds like it's been burning oil for the last two years or so:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4724756/oil-consumption#Post4724756

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-hm-oil-to-treat-consumption#Post4815864

I thought it had been consuming oil. It may or may not have been. I just got around to fixing a couple slow leaks including the valve cover gaskets and the vtec solenoid gaskets/o-rings. It needed a valve adjustment pretty bad which I did as well. Not sure if this would help with consumption. I was told by a shop that the rear cam seal was leaking($$$)... Not really sure if this was true or maybe just another leak made it appear that it was leaking. Anyways, I figure the right oil couldn't hurt so that's where I'm at with it.

Start from the top with leaks, if the valve cover leaked above the flywheel area, this could run through the bell housing and appear as a RMS leak. So you're on the right track

Back