New Valvoline video showing engine teardown

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a fair comparison they need two motors that were properly maintained on schedule. One with Valvoline and one with something else.

For a fair comparison, they'd need ten+ motors, each run on a test-dyno, with the only major variables being building tolerances and oil choice...

I've watched several of these type videos where they take an engine apart, and they look pretty clean inside. And here's my takeaway from all of them, 1) use ANY brand of modern oil, and change it when you should and your motor will last. 2) your motor is the most durable part of any brand of car, and it should outlast the rest of the car if it was designed correctly. Those guys shouldn't be amazed when the oil does it's job, only when it doesn't do it's job.,,

What would be interesting is to have three engines take on the same durability testing. One engine at manufacture specified intervals, engine 2 at 1.5 x manufacture specified interval and engine 3 at 2 x manufacture specified interval. Then, tear all three down and have an engineer explain the wear difference.

Do the same with a regular vanilla conventional and compare the results of both oils.

*For an engine that has used a SM / SN / D1 Gen 1 or 2 synthetic oil at appropriate OCI's - I'm not convinced it needs a "High Mileage" oil . The 2007 Kia 3.8L in my sig has used nothing but 5W30 synthetic oil after it's first 25K miles and today has 226K miles with no leaks and does not burn any oil during it's 5K mile OCI . I only used a high mileage synthetic oil once (M1 10W30 High Mileage during a cross country drive and back at 221K miles) ... Until I see any signs of oil burning or leaks I'll stay with Castrol , Pennzoil , M1 or Valvoline D1 / Gen 2 5W30 synthetic oil .

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
I've watched several of these type videos where they take an engine apart, and they look pretty clean inside. And here's my takeaway from all of them, 1) use ANY brand of modern oil, and change it when you should and your motor will last. 2) your motor is the most durable part of any brand of car, and it should outlast the rest of the car if it was designed is cared for correctly. Those guys shouldn't be amazed when the oil does it's job, only when it doesn't do it's job.,,

I really don't see why everyone gets their junk in a knot over these videos. I think that video serves a great purpose, which is to give you confidence that if you run Valvoline and follow the proper maintenance schedule for oil changes, your engine will be in great shape at high mileage and could outlast the rest of the car. That's an honest video, if you ask me, and the engines came out of real world vehicles, not taxi fleets or run on simulators. (I'm an M1 fan, but their videos aren't nearly as useful as this one, to me.) I think it clearly shows that Valvoline does what they promise it to do. (Or Napa, if you want to save a couple bucks.)

Good on Valvoline.

I would find it believable if a micrometer was used to measure the crank journals instead of just looking at them. Maybe this was a spoof video ? ED

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I really don't see why everyone gets their junk in a knot over these videos. I think that video serves a great purpose, which is to give you confidence that if you run Valvoline and follow the proper maintenance schedule for oil changes, your engine will be in great shape at high mileage and could outlast the rest of the car. That's an honest video, if you ask me, and the engines came out of real world vehicles, not taxi fleets or run on simulators. (I'm an M1 fan, but their videos aren't nearly as useful as this one, to me.) I think it clearly shows that Valvoline does what they promise it to do. (Or Napa, if you want to save a couple bucks.)

Good on Valvoline.

Exactly!!

Originally Posted by IndyFan

Good on Valvoline.

I haven't seen a single post indicating one of us has our "junk in a knot." What I do see is smart members casting reasonable doubts as to whether this video provides any useful data, which it does not.

If anything, it should give one confidence that ANY name-brand oil will be satisfactory.

Is this the max life full synthetic or synthetic blend they do not mention anything about it in the video?

Originally Posted by Eddie
I would find it believable if a micrometer was used to measure the crank journals instead of just looking at them. Maybe this was a spoof video ? ED

The type of person this video is geared towards probably can't even tell you off hand what grade of oil their car uses, do you really think they know about bearing clearances?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Eddie

The type of person this video is geared towards probably can't even tell you off hand what grade of oil their car uses, do you really think they know about bearing clearances?

+1. All they want to know is: does it run when I turn the key, and will it get me to Walmart so I can shop in my PJs?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

+1. All they want to know is: does it run when I turn the key, and will it get me to Walmart so I can shop in my PJs?

Right!🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back