Are Some of You OCI Fanatics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil in late August and it didn't really need it, but I got the car Aug 12 and wanted to put my own oil and filter into it.
I probably don't have any more than 3 or 400 miles on the OCI I did, but I kind of feel like changing the oil and filter again.

Do any of you do more OCIs than you probably need? Like how often?

I kind of feel like running some fresh ST FS 5w20 with a Fram PH3614, or even keep the Federated PG241F and just change the oil.
Maybe I could drain it into a clean pan and set it aside to run later. Does that sound too bizarre?

Haha, I can understand 3k OCIs, but I would hold off on doing that. You're really wasting oil/time under 3000 mi, especially with a FS.

not exactly me anymore, but i've see this one around before..:
[Linked Image from weknowmemes.com]

I am. I do oil changes on my cars and family member cars every 6 months regardless of miles.

I don't care for the cost so it's ok if i'm "wasting money". I like piece of mind and i'm OCD.

I just dumped my 2800 mile motul oil, (which is going to BS right now). I'll be dumping this new motul oil again first week of april of next year.

I change oil at very short intervals too. Sometimes 1000 to 2000 miles, Not that it's needed, I have plenty of oil that I like to use up and cost are Low with diy oil changes. On air cooled motorcycles, sometimes 1000 miles or lesser.

Originally Posted by earlyre
not exactly me anymore, but i've see this one around before..:
[Linked Image from weknowmemes.com]

LOL

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I am. I do oil changes on my cars and family member cars every 6 months regardless of miles.

I don't care for the cost so it's ok if i'm "wasting money". I like piece of mind and i'm OCD.

I just dumped my 2800 mile motul oil, (which is going to BS right now). I'll be dumping this new motul oil again first week of april of next year.

I've been doing 6 month OCIs for several years and lately I only drive 3-4k miles a year.

Is October and April fanatical? It usually runs from over 6K to over 7K miles. I don't do it on miles though I do it on a time that will likely facilitate a day of good weather.
If it less or more miles it just doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK

I've been doing 6 month OCIs for several years and lately I only drive 3-4k miles a year.

Nice! lol

I put about 5-6k a year on each of my cars. Sometimes even less if i ride my motorcycles.

Do any of you do more OCIs than you probably need?
Need, thinks who? Manufacturer or I?
56.gif

Like how often?
Case by case. Mostly after 8750 miles, but sometimes I do not like something (noises) and change the oil after only 6000 miles. Or 4000 miles.
Seldom, but it happen from time to time.

In these cases (less than 6000 miles) I dont change the filter and pump out the oil only with a sunction pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Is October and April fanatical? It usually runs from over 6K to over 7K miles. I don't do it on miles though I do it on a time that will likely facilitate a day of good weather.
If it less or more miles it just doesn't bother me.

The only reason why i pick october is because i have a lot of cars to do and i rather do them while the weather is still "nice". Many years ago, i used to pick june/december. But june was too hot and december was too cold lol.

So october/april seems perfect for me and my 6 month OCI's.

I change my truck every 5K miles....my wife only logs about 6K a year and I change it every 6 months

I changed my oil in late August and it didn't really need it, but I got the car Aug 12 and wanted to put my own oil and filter into it.
I probably don't have any more than 3 or 400 miles on the OCI I did, but I kind of feel like changing the oil and filter again.

Do any of you do more OCIs than you probably need? Like how often?

I kind of feel like running some fresh ST FS 5w20 with a Fram PH3614, or even keep the Federated PG241F and just change the oil.
Maybe I could drain it into a clean pan and set it aside to run later. Does that sound too bizarre?

If you didn't know what oil the vehicle had when you purchased it (especially if it's a used vehicle), I don't think that's being OCD. Re-using the old oil or filter is a little weird. Take it to the recycling center -and be done with it. Not long ago, I purchased a brand new vehicle and changed the factory oil after 3000 miles. Now I do 5-6k OCIs. Sometimes I'll push it or stretch it just a little to avoid doing an OC in the driveway in the middle of the winter.

Last edited:
For me, it's every 5,000 miles for oil and filter. My go to oil filter on my Ford is NAPA Gold. A good blend or full synthetic oil for the Ford and full synthetic Euro oil for the VW.

Originally Posted by NO2
I change mine every 2 years or 15000 miles whether it needs it or not.

If your engine could talk 🤔
It would thank you very very much !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back