5W30 Suggestions/Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 17 Outback w/ 3.6 currently running Subaru Syn 5W30 along w/ factory filter. I'm no longer having the vehicle serviced at dealer and at 52K I'd like to make a change in oil. Something readily available with a good track record. Lots of H/W driving and cold Michigan winters. Any suggestions?
thanks.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Valvoline, Havoline, Pennzoil, Mobil1 just pick one and sleep well. You really can't go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I should have stated at this point, I would rather not go with Mobil 1,
Valvoline Adv Syn and Pennz Plat Syn are readily available nearby, any Subie owners here run either of these?
thanks.

I was just having this exact discussion today, if you want to use a 5w30 I would suggest Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle. I personally think that Mobil 1 0w40 is an excellent choice for the price. Subaru's 3.6L is not picky about oil, be it conventional or synthetic (or a blend), so long as the grade is 5w30 or near it like a 0w40.

I bought a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w40 recently for $24 at Walmart with a $5 discount coupon and submitted for the $12 rebate. That brings the cost down to $7, a smoking hot deal.

My 2.5L SOHC was happiest (quietest, and leaked less) with the Havoline ProDS 5w30. Not the same engine, but that's all I have to contribute.

those engines don't complain what oil they get. I'd stick to a D1G2 approved oil and not lose sleep over it.

Been running Mobil 1 in my Forrester 2.5., no problems. Typical Bitog'er always over thinking what brand of oil to use. I started using Mobil when I first started driving in 1994, picking it because it had the most appealing packaging/labeling to me. Pretty much has been my go to oil ever since.

Originally Posted by Motoretro
Have a 17 Outback w/ 3.6 currently running Subaru Syn 5W30 along w/ factory filter. I'm no longer having the vehicle serviced at dealer and at 52K I'd like to make a change in oil. Something readily available with a good track record. Lots of H/W driving and cold Michigan winters. Any suggestions?
thanks.

My Subie engine LOVES Castrol Edge 0w30 and 0w40. Much quieter than when I run other oils including Mobil 1 0w30. Another good choice is Rotella T-6 5w40. Gotta love picking oils for the Michigan winters...

Just did OC in '08 Outback with M1 0w40. For some reason there's a cockamamie wives tale that M1 doesn't work in Subarus (but Rotella T6 is GREAT). I've even seen it mentioned that M1 0w40 is baaad because it shears easily in Subies because they're tough on oil - by people who are obviously ignorant of HT/HS and the many much more stringent approvals it meets. Yours being a rather new car, I'd probably stick with the 5w30 and I was happy with PP in that grade. BTW, mine runs quieter on the M1 Euro than any other oil I've ever had in it.

I have a 3.6 17 limited. Posting from my.phone butbplease check my posts. UOA for 10k using M1 EP 5-30 with Fram Ultra. My results were good.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by tiger862
Valvoline, Havoline, Pennzoil, Mobil1 just pick one and sleep well. You really can't go wrong.

Yep.

A Couple other fantastic options are QSUD 5w30 and Castrol Edge 5w30

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I have a 3.6 17 limited. Posting from my.phone butbplease check my posts. UOA for 10k using M1 EP 5-30 with Fram Ultra. My results were good.

Thanks,
Good info, apples to apples application. Any specific reason for moving to the Fram Ultra Filter?

Originally Posted by Motoretro
Originally Posted by BISCUT

Any specific reason for moving to the Fram Ultra Filter?

It's the best oil filter available?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back