Mobil Super or Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a daily driver, for all practical purposes, nothing. Super just north of a semi-synthetic. M1 is just south of a true synthetic.
smile.gif

If you're not doing hard driving or 10K plus OCIs either would work fine.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
OP welcome thank you for joining. What vehicle would you use either oil in?

09 WRX. 117K. No engine mods

just get the full synthetic

not the super one if you go to walmart and use the mail in rebate you can get the full synthetic for 11 dollars plus tax so about 24$ or 12.50 after rebate...

I suggest buying 4 at a time so you can get 4 rebates as it's expiring soon

they also offer 17$ back if you get the filter+oil so the filter will be 17$ ea after rebate.. with the filter

I used it in my chevy impala Wbody it got it to 180,000 miles with Zero problem to the engine

Last edited:
Mobil Super Synthetic is labeld "HC (Hydrocrack) Synthese" here in Germany,
Mobil 1 Extended Performance is labeld "SHC ((Full) Synthetic + Hydrocrack) Synthese" here.

For a DD, Mobil Super is surely more than good enough.

Originally Posted by 80Boxcar

Welcome!
Between those 2 just get a M1 - you still can get an instant $5 off for your Walmart purchase here https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/hot-wheels
And then submit for a $12 rebate (which will take like 8-12 weeks to arrive) here https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/mobil-1-rebate-2019
Locals of bitog have stashes of M1 these days
smile.gif

Another good oil will be Castrol Magnatec - has plenty of excellent UOA and I've seen other WRX owners here give it a try

It's hard to get numbers out of XOM but they market Mobil Super Syn as a intermediary between M-Super (a syn blend) and their top M1 product line. My guess would be in the base stock (M1 using a grp3+??) and add pk (higher qlty VII's?). But from a consumer standpoint with a daily driver...not much.

Weird thing is Mobil Super Syn is often more expensive than M1.

Last edited:
Weird thing is Mobil Super Syn is often more expensive than M1.[/quote]

Familiar bottle … Wonder if that's a twin for some of the past AC Delco

The reason I ask is because I'm normally a Mobil 1 user but the shop I work at is getting a deal on super syn @ $2.89 qt in bulk. I'll make the switch because the savings.
Alot of the Subie owners use Motul or Redline. I just can't see shelling out $79.00 for an oil change for a daily driver with some spirited driving.
I am still a novice at the different types of syn oils and pretty much thought that if the label said full syn then it was full syn. I just get lost with the different brands and prices. Menards usually sells Quaker State syn for $2.99 qt after rebate. I don't understand the drastic difference in prices among the brands.

When we purchased our 2015 Sonic , I discovered it requires DEXOS spec oil . Found the Super Synthetic on sale at AAP . Next time I bought Mobil 1 . This switched back and forth , depending on sales . I have also used one of the Pennzoil synthetic DEXOS , and now using NAPA synthetic DEXOS .

This is my Wire's daily driver . Figured , as long as it was a DEXOS spec " full " synthetic , I was going more with price .

Been ordering filters from RockAuto 6 or 12 at a time to spread out the freight cost .

The reason I ask is because I'm normally a Mobil 1 user but the shop I work at is getting a deal on super syn @ $2.89 qt in bulk. I'll make the switch because the savings.
Alot of the Subie owners use Motul or Redline. I just can't see shelling out $79.00 for an oil change for a daily driver with some spirited driving.
I am still a novice at the different types of syn oils and pretty much thought that if the label said full syn then it was full syn. I just get lost with the different brands and prices. Menards usually sells Quaker State syn for $2.99 qt after rebate. I don't understand the drastic difference in prices among the brands.

Your confusion is understandable and justified. It all boils down to what "synthetic" means when referring to engine oil. Some brands have a differing opinion on that, and they formulate their synthetic oils accordingly.

You will be fine with the Mobile Super Synthetic oil, as long as you do not try to push it past it's mileage limit in each OCI, but that is the case with every oil.

The one which costs less will be good for the factory recommended OCI the engine won't know the difference.

I usually change oil @ 3K in all my vehicles no matter the type of oil. I just can't stand the thought of the dirty dark oil sloshing around the crank case.
Some of these OEM OCI just freaks me out. I have seen a number of GM 2.2, 2.4, 3.6, etc.. with broken timing chains and solids under the valve covers.

I usually change oil @ 3K in all my vehicles no matter the type of oil. I just can't stand the thought of the dirty dark oil sloshing around the crank case.
Some of these OEM OCI just freaks me out. I have seen a number of GM 2.2, 2.4, 3.6, etc.. with broken timing chains and solids under the valve covers.

Melaka? No, that wasn't it. Mekara? No...

Merkava. That was it.

*That's disgusting to think about - especially right before going to sleep tonight ! ... Makes me want to change the PCV valve too next OCI and it's not even my vehicle !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back