Mixing 0W-16 and 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Camry has been running 10K OCI on 0W-20 M1AFE with no problem. Moving forward, I am looking to extend my OCI to 12,500 miles using half a jug of 0W-16 and half a jug of 0W-40. I love the robust additives in M1 0W-40 and always wanted to use on the Camry, but it is spec for 0W-20. Walmart currently has great price on Mobil1 0W-16 and 0W-40 at $22.88 per jug.

Any suggestion or problem you see with running this mixture to extend OCI? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
My Camry has been running 10K OCI on 0W-20 M1AFE with no problem. Moving forward, I am looking to extend my OCI to 12,500 miles using half a jug of 0W-16 and half a jug of 0W-40. I love the robust additives in M1 0W-40 and always wanted to use on the Camry, but it is spec for 0W-20. Walmart currently has great price on Mobil1 0W-16 and 0W-40 at $22.88 per jug.

Any suggestion or problem you see with running this mixture to extend OCI? Thanks in advance.

Either buy 0W30, or buy a mix of 0W40 and 0W20.

Why would you bother? To get a 20wt out of a 16 and 40, you would get about a splash and 3 drips of your beloved 40wt. Mixing oil chemistries and weights rarely results in the intended results, and in some cases can actually cause higher wear because of incompatibilities between the additives. Yes, it may be rare, but even the oil blender recommends against it. Pick a single oil in the weight you want, and run it. Leave blending to the professionals.

Why not try 0W30 AFE or even the 0W40? Just because your engine is spec'd for 20wt does not mean there will be any negatives other than a couple tenths of fuel mileage by going a hair thicker. I'd much prefer running a thicker oil all of one type/blend than mixing oils. Also, notice the two highlighted words above. There is an actual physical difference between the brew you come up with and what that mix would look like coming from the oil company.

I am hesitant to use 0W-40 alone as the base viscosity is already at 13.4 and running it for 12,500 miles will only thicken it further.

If you want to run longer, just run M1 EP 0w-20. Mixing the two isn't going to give you an improved product.

You might like the AFE 0w30. It seems perfect for what you are looking for. But for a very long OCI, you might want to consider M1EP

Originally Posted by ET16
I only mix when I am trying to get rid of oil I already have.

01.gif

My Camry has been running 10K OCI on 0W-20 M1AFE with no problem. Moving forward, I am looking to extend my OCI to 12,500 miles using half a jug of 0W-16 and half a jug of 0W-40. I love the robust additives in M1 0W-40 and always wanted to use on the Camry,

What "robust additives" do you think you're missing by not running M1 0w40?

Pat,
M1 0W-40 has a TBN of 12.5, compared to the AFE/EP of around 8/9. The 0W-40 will give me plenty of slack after I extend my OCI to 12,500 miles.

Pat,
M1 0W-40 has a TBN of 12.5, compared to the AFE/EP of around 8/9. The 0W-40 will give me plenty of slack after I extend my OCI to 12,500 miles.

What about oxidation? Did you do UOA of 10k OCI?
I mixed 0W20 with M1 0W40 for Sienna, bcs. I had leftovers 0W40. I mixed also a bit of M1 ESP Formula 5W30 with it as I had 1.5 liter of leftovers. However, once I used everything I just used M1 5W30 Extended Performance and I am at 7k with that oil. Have a trip to Dallas at the beginning of July and will do UOA around 10k to see how things are doing, including TAN and TBN. However, regardless of what comes out, will not extended OCI as I am not sure how filter would do and just bcs I have OCD around these stuff.

If you are not running for super long duration just change your oil more often, and you don't have to worry about the TBN or how to thin it out. Thinning out 0w16 with 0w40 will likely make the oil's volatility very high, and you will need to top off more, and more additives burnt and poison your cat and oxygen sensor faster. There's a reason oil has an upper limit on P and recently Ca, only on the Xw30 and lower visc.

Why not just go with the Mobil 1 0w-20 Extended Perfoemance + Fram Ultra?

It is unnecessary to mix when you got a good oil as the EP...

Originally Posted by painfx

Why not just go with the Mobil 1 0w-20 Extended Perfoemance + Fram Ultra?

It is unnecessary to mix when you got a good oil as the EP...

Sometimes it just matters what's on sale. When I bought my Castrol EP in 0W-20 it was $17 a Jug and the 0W-40 was $20 on a WM in store special. I'm going to mix them for my winter oil. Is it the best option? No but at the time it was a good cheap option. Its not going to make my Corolla explode or spontaneously combust.

Miller,
I have not done a 10K UOA, but running AFE/EP at 10K is a walk in the park for this Camry. My goal is to extend OCI further to 12,500 miles, and even to 15K OCI if I could.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Leave blending to the professionals.

This is the only intelligent answer.
Yeap, blending your own in a jug in the garage doesn't magically take the best properties of one and combine it with the best properties of the other to make a super-duper, magic oil ! Who is to say that a component in one doesn't neutralize or lessen the properties of a component in the other ? Or worse, what if they combine to make something negative to the oil's properties ?

I doubt you end up with a 0W-28 viscosity like someone who does the math thinks either.

I used M1 0w40 in a Honda Odyssey that spec'd 5w20.

The GOOD: Engine was noticeably quieter when warm, and oil consumption dropped by roughly 1/3 ...

The BAD: Zip. Mileage was about the same. Cold starts were the same.

I liked the quieter engine with reduced oil consumption. Sold van with 150 k miles on it, engine still running A +.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back