Rotella T4 in gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1000 miles on a Subaru ej22 engine coming off a fresh rebuild. The builder recommend a 10w30 for breaking and a 20w50 thereafter. The engine sits a Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro which ic a much heavier and less aerodynamic engine than the Subaru Legacy it was designed for so obviously shearing and oil temps are both a concern.

I am considering running a Rotella T4 15w40; it seems like a great heavy duty oil with an excellent additive package that will give me better cold weather performance than a 20w50. The recent VOAs posted here are excellent. My concern is that the new formulation is not SN/gas approved. Would love to get some feedback regarding the viability of this oil for my use

its best keeping the spread of viscosity closer as the lower # for the cold burns off faster. if Ca is california + its not northern a 15W-XX would do better. in Pa when i was running 20-50 conventional to curb consumption my car would NOT crank fast enough to start, samo with my traded hardly motorcycle.

Originally Posted by benjy
its best keeping the spread of viscosity closer as the lower # for the cold burns off faster. if Ca is california + its not northern a 15W-XX would do better. in Pa when i was running 20-50 conventional to curb consumption my car would NOT crank fast enough to start, samo with my traded hardly motorcycle.

Not sure about "the lower # for the cold burns off faster" thing is valid.

Try Mobil 1 Turbo diesel Truck 5W-40 or Delo Syn 5W-40. Both stout diesel oils that still have gas SN certificates.

It will be fine. Shell dropped SN on t4 15w-40 because the HDEO phosphorus limit exemption expired. It's the same oil, but cannot be certified SN because it exceeds 800ppm ZDDP

Great, so sounds like despite losing the rating, the oil is still gas engine appropriate. Has shell ever disclosed what changes (if any) were made during the reformulation?

Last edited:
+1 for all 15w40
+0.5 for synthetic 5w40; not sure how much HTHS your builder wants you to have, but I wouldn't mess with bearings--give it what he says it needs. You're less likely to lose it via shear with 15w40 than 5w40.

When I built my twin turbo Mustang drag car engine, I thought about running 20W-50.

After looking at both additive packages & talking to some other builders, I decided to run Rotella T4 15W-40

That car was 2 HP per cubic inch. I think you would like the oil.

The engine isnt a 1500hp twin turbine top fuel race engine, its 2.2 liter engine in a VW buss that specs 10W30, 10W40, 5W30.
39.gif

The manual lists the following oil grades for "severe duty" operation 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50

Why wouldn't you do what the engine builder suggested? I am not being or trying to be a smart aleck
27.gif

At least for the break in period?

I have owned 3 EJ22s (lowest mileage was 225K highest mileage was 400K).. my neighbor had a Legacy with an EJ22 with over 550K none of them ever had 20w50. 5w30 and 10w30. all conventional oils.

With that being said i would start with Rotella 5w40. (WRX guys love it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back