M1 EP for '19 F150 3.5 EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually run Amsoil SS but due to it being a new truck and wanting to keep it under the powertrain warranty and lower cost, I was going to switch to M1 EP with the M1 oil filter.
The 2019 F150 isn't on Mobil1's website, any reason I can't use 5-30W M1 EP for this Ecoboost truck?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dseg42
I usually run Amsoil SS but due to it being a new truck and wanting to keep it under the powertrain warranty and lower cost, I was going to switch to M1 EP with the M1 oil filter.
The 2019 F150 isn't on Mobil1's website, any reason I can't use 5-30W M1 EP for this Ecoboost truck?

Good choice. 5W20 is generally put there for fuel economy reasons, that really don't increase mileage one mile per gallon anyways. 5W30 is better for TGDI/GDIs, as many automakers have recommended it over thinner owners manual recommendations in prior years.
Exxon-Mobil generally abides by the owners manual recommendations. Tha't probably why it's not there on the website. Plenty of members here have found better results using 5w30 in that engine.

At $3 per gallon at the gas pump, you may endure a $5 increase when filling-up (very large fuel tank). The trade-off is a better sounding, performing and lasting engine.
Just my opinion, as I know two F150 owners using that engine. One still stands by the 5w20. But he's the type that goes by owners manuals 100%. He even still uses Remington oil, Remington cleaner and Remington 30-06 ammo in his Remington 7400/7600? deer rifle. Yes, he's found better results using my 2nd party ammo, cleaner and oil, but still won't change..... why?..... because it's listed as the preferred choices in that owners manual.

Some folks never change - not even for the better......Whatever!

Last edited:
I would run any of the Mobil 1 5w20's. All of them are very good.

Originally Posted by dseg42

On the other thread you started, we discussed the required specification for your engine. Does the Mobil 1 EP product carry that?

If you don't plan on doing extended OCIs (which I consider to be over 7K miles)...regular M1 in the recommended viscosity should work fine....the same can be said for virtually every synthetic sold at Walmart.....In other words....even Supertech syn. should work well for a 7K OCI....

Ah for a 5w30 I'd use any 5w30 from Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge 5w30, regular M1 5w30 or Mobil 1 EP/AP 5w30. Can't go wrong with any of those.

There are over a 100 3.5 Ecoboosts in the fleet we maintain and for 8 years in this environment of dusty, idle for hours, WOT for miles, conditions which are just insane for an engine each engine get serviced at 5K miles with bulk lowest bidder API SN motor oil and oil filters. 5K miles could and often does equal over 500 hours of service so it's severe. There has been 0 lubercated related failures.

M1EP is way too much Overkill for factory recommended OCI's just FYI.

With the potential fuel dilution issues that the 3.5 ecos have , look up the posted uoas. Shorter oil change intervals may be prudent if we are going to be anal about it. I don't see advantages of long life oils is shorter oil change intervals. We have people regurgitating 5/20 on a 3.5 eco seriously?Link to view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back