Motorcraft "New" Formulation-"New" Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed Motorcraft has "reformulated" their oil last year, or has new specification numbers at least. 5w20 was wss-m2c-945-A is now wss-m2c-945-b1, so on and so forth. PPPP is speced for the later so i am assuming the current will be superior? So I changed my oil a few months ago with an out of spec, out dated oil is how I feel...
motorcraft® gasoline and diesel engine ...
PDFDirect Automotive Distributing › 2018/08

I doubt it. I'm sure the PP is if not better than the Motorcraft oil out there.
I won't use that in my vehicles, I don't think its as good.v

Edit :but you have a 2014 but I still think the PP is a better oil.

Last edited:
More or less, Ford reformulated their oil and the accompanying alphabet soup motor oil specification on new Ford vehicles for API SN-Plus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GaryPoe
.... so i am assuming the current will be superior?
Not much superior at all in your non-turboDI application. LSPI is not an issue in your engine.

Originally Posted by LEADED
New Ford PCMO reformulations ,B1 is for timing chain wear like most other Manufacturers experienced.
You heard wrong or are confused..... the -B1 spec is only for LSPI mitigation. Aligns with SN+ with the Ecoboost engine under test. (Notably, dexos1 Gen2's LSPI test uses a GM Ecotec turbo-DI engine instead.)

Use with confidence Gary. It's the #1 selling front label synblend on the market today. Valv High Mileage synblend is probably #1 in the HM category.
I prefer to blend my own synblends. I generally do 50/50 blends, more full synthetic than what Motorcrft or Valvoline includes in theirs. Most-all synblends average only 33% full synthetic.

There's only 1-2 oils on the market today that broadcast the percentage on the label. Most do not and that's an omen that purchasers would be disappointed, had they found out how little synthetic is used. Shame on the oil bottlers for hiding their true percentages on the jug front labels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back