Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage 10W-30 - looks wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else seen this? I was going to add some oil, using what I thought was an open container of oil. I looked at the visible strip along the side, and saw a dark color around half way down. It turns out the container was unopened, and there was something that looked like clearer & lighter oil of some kind. I contacted Valvoline support and the response -
--------------
It is possible for there to be some separation in the oil depending on how it has been stored. We recommend gently shaking the bottle to re-mix the product.
-------------
It is the container on the left in the attached picture. Has anyone else seen this, and were you able to blend & use it?

Side View.jpg

Oil can sometimes settle in that manner. If shaking it gently remixed it back to normal appearance, I do not think you have a problem.

Originally Posted by tomlct
Inside my car, in the footwell behind the driver's seat.
That is bizarre, because it would have been sloshing around as you drive, mixing, you'd think.

That is interesting. Would be interesting to see if it separated again. If you don't use it, mix it up and let it sit again to see if it returns to that.

Good idea, I will shake & try to blend it and if it does re-blend, see what happens. I don't plan to use it any time soon. The only car of mine that takes this 10W-30 is a K-car 2.5 engine. I wonder if it separated in a modern car with variable valve timing, GDI, turbo, etc. etc. if that would cause problems.

Never seen that, and I have oil that has sat on a shelf for years.
This is a 4 year old bottle of Valvoline Synpower (on the right) that has not been moved in a year, and before that, had sat unmoved for years (just moved from one shelf to another).

[Linked Image]

This is it moved outside with minimal movement:

[Linked Image]

While it does look lighter up high, that is only because of the handle, you can see the Mobil 1 Jug that was put there a week ago on the left has the same look at the handle.
I shook it up and it looked the same.

I shook the bottle 2 times, around 30 seconds each, and no change. I also took a screwdriver that is long enough to reach to the bottom, and tried to stir it, but again, no change in appearance. I will see what Valvoline's customer service has to say. The text I inserted was from a chat session, and that rep had not see the picture. Maybe after they read an email with a picture, there will be some explanation. Anyway, I guess there are 2 checks when I buy oil - first, try to be sure the seal is unbroken, and also, check the sight window strip on the side of the container.

Could be the plastic used in the bottle construction, colors varying. I'd pour it out into a clean container and pour the other bottle in and see if it looks the same.

If not, send in a sample of the bad oil...then contact Valvoline.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Could be the plastic used in the bottle construction, colors varying. I'd pour it out into a clean container and pour the other bottle in and see if it looks the same.

If not, send in a sample of the bad oil...then contact Valvoline.

or just flip the bottle over...

Oil does not separate like that, nor like the pictures posted in the other thread similar to this one. Some people have reported what they think is additive fallout but that is something completely different.

There are only two reasonable answers to this issue. One is that someone put something back in a bottle which was returned to the store, or that someone is making up stories.

Under no circumstances would I ever shake that and put it in my engine. No matter what Valvoline says motor oil does not separate as shown in your picture.

I have never heard of motor oil separating. I would be surprised that any oil company would tell anyone over the phone that it does.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have never heard of motor oil separating. I would be surprised that any oil company would tell anyone over the phone that it does.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not sure about the confidence I have in telephone customer service. I wonder if some of these people have even held the product in their hands, let alone done an oil change.

I flipped it over a few times and no change. When I first poured it out, it looked like an almost clear sunflower cooking oil.
So now, I poured it into a 2 litre clear plastic soda bottle, and look at this. Could this be base stock & no additives? I am pretty sure I poured out all of it. It was twilight, but I would say I could see the bottom of the Valvoline bottle after I poured this mess out.
I wonder how this would do in a torture test.

Poured into clear container.jpg

Regarding comment about safety ring missing - I did that when I opened it while originally adding it (& then quickly stopped).

Last edited:
I'd be sending those photos or a link to this thread to Valvoline. No way there is anything normal going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back