5w-20 accidentally used instead of 5w-30 in '05 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather-in-law poured the wrong oil in his 2005 Nissan Altima last week (QR25DE with 290k miles) and didn't realize it until this evening when he went to change the oil in his Dodge which the 5w-20 was meant for. He's already put about 100 miles on the M1 5w-20 in the Nissan. He's concerned about it a little, but is wondering if it'll be fine for a normal oil interval and can go back to 5w-30.

Do you guys think it'll be fine on the 5w-20 for one oil change or should he dump it? He's 78 years old and drives like it.

What is the Dodge? Maybe the 5w30 could go in that. Then everything would be fine.
Check the manual.

Originally Posted by CrAlt
What is the Dodge? Maybe the 5w30 could go in that. Then everything would be fine.
Check the manual.

It's a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8.

It should be fine. I would keep in eye on the oil level though, especially with 290 K miles on the engine.

All things considered, including but not limited to how it's driven, it will be fine. Run the normal oci, then change back. Original spec 5w30 SL, oil now SN including 5w20.

Going forward I'd buy 5/10W-30 for both vehicles so I didn't have to stock two different oils for no reason.

He may get a call from an unknown number and someone with a strong Indian accent will threaten him with arrest.

I know the new Nissans are speced for 5 or 0-20 with basically the same engine. Doe anyone know if Nissan did like ford and back speced the older 2.5's?

Could make the case that today's 0W20 may
offer the same or better wear protection at
operating temps than the 2005 era 0W30
That was recommended back then.
Should be fine for one OCI unless you see
an oil pressure light flicker at idle when
fully warmed up (could be an issue at 290K).

I agree that no harm will come from using a modern 5w20 in a car that called for a 5w30 from the SL era....which would most likely shear to a 20 wt. quickly anyway.
On the other hand I'd rather make that mistake at the beginning of winter than summer....especially in Georgia heat and with 290K.

Being the slightly obsessive guy that I am when it comes to oil....I'd probably drain a quart out and replace it with a quart of 10w40 to 'thicken it up a bit'......I certainly wouldn't dump the whole crankcase full....

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Good. I didn't figure it would be an issue, but now I can reassure him of that. Thanks guys.

If you can't just drain it into a clean pan and save it for the Dodge. Put it back in the 5-30 bottles but make sure you label them cause old guys forget stuff.

Originally Posted by pbm
replace it with a quart of 10w40 to 'thicken it up a bit'......I certainly wouldn't dump the whole crankcase full....
Thats about what I'd do, just to bump the visc up a tad.
1 unit 'tad' can be achieved by taking STP Oil Treatment High Mileage (blue bottle) which is 200 cst at the boiling point of water and adding that as the level drops (assuming some consumption). Keep topping off with STP as the warm weather approaches. It's basically just an oil thickener with seal conditioners for the old car's seals, so no clashing with the current oil. ... No need to drain anything out.

Last edited:
My QR25DE will not tolerate 5w20. I tried to run 2 qts 5W20 + 3 qts 5W30 one Winter and had to dump that sump due to horrendous clatter.

The older units had shim under bucket solid cams. The new units may have HLA .

If you can drive it, listen for excessive clattering. If its quiet then it will likely be OK for a short OCI. low rpm use.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
1 unit 'tad' can be achieved by taking STP Oil Treatment High Mileage (blue bottle) which is 200 cst at the boiling point of water and adding that as the level drops (assuming some consumption). Keep topping off with STP as the warm weather approaches. It's basically just an oil thickener with seal conditioners for the old car's seals, so no clashing with the current oil. ... No need to drain anything out.

I just reat through this thread and thas EXACTLY what I was going to say. Add STP, but I would not wait until the level drops to do it. A small bottle of STP will not cause an overfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back