Home

O Reilly motor oil

Posted By: porvdub

O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 03:59 PM

How good or bad is O Reilly 10w 30 regular motor oil as sold in the 5 qt black bottles? ok for a jeep 4 liter inline motor in a 1990 XJ?
Posted By: RamFan

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 04:14 PM

Yes it's ok for your Jeep.
Posted By: JLTD

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 04:29 PM

Decent oil, 10w-30 is great for the 4.0. OCI determined through UOA, or manual if that's how you roll.
Posted By: Chris142

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 05:07 PM

Made by omni.
Posted By: bullwinkle

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 05:29 PM

It’s a 4.0, anything from (recommended) 10W30 up to 20W50 works fine.
Posted By: JoelB

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 05:35 PM

Cheaper to buy supertech and its at least of equal quality.
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by JoelB

This~!
Posted By: dogememe

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 05:44 PM

Depends on your location. O'Reilly is 0 miles away from where I work and Walmart is at least a 30 minute drive away, and gas isn't free. O'Reilly oil is fine, I haven't seen many UOAs of it but I've used it in various vehicles with no problems.
Posted By: jayjr1105

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by dogememe

Depends on your location. O'Reilly is 0 miles away from where I work and Walmart is at least a 30 minute drive away, and gas isn't free. O'Reilly oil is fine, I haven't seen many UOAs of it but I've used it in various vehicles with no problems.

Walmart will ship a couple jugs/filters to your doorstep for free.
Posted By: DGXR

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/18/19 06:34 PM

If it has the API starburst logo "for gasoline engines" and the classification donut that meets/exceeds your required spec, you can use it.
See the passenger car engine oil information provided here.
Posted By: Jesse_NE

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/19/19 02:26 AM

If you don't mind motor oil in a cardboard box, Havoline's 6qt smart change boxes sold through Walmart beat Supertech on price per quart. If you can meet a $35 floor, Walmart will deliver it to your doorstep for free.
Posted By: WiskyBadger

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/19/19 03:25 AM

I don’t know yet but OReillys keeps giving me $10 of $20 so I buy their Dexos full syn. Makes it a good price and I don’t have to go to Walmart.
Posted By: supton

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 04/19/19 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dogememe

Reasonable logic to me.

For me, it's a mile or so out of the way on my commute, so it's nothing for me to swing in. If it was more effort then I'd do bulk buys and/or looking into mailorder.
Posted By: OnTheRocks

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by DGXR
If it has the API starburst logo "for gasoline engines" and the classification donut that meets/exceeds your required spec, you can use it.

I'm trying hard to find a motor oil without the starburst or donut. Does that even exist?

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 01:19 AM

I just bought 5 quarts of O'Reilly full synthetic. Pretty good price with the coupon. If the coupons keep coming, I will keep buying. $22 oil becomes $12 oil.

If nothing else, this jug could be used to top off between oil changes. Just keep it in the back of car, along with other assorted "just in case" stuff.

I don't have a fancy car with a high performance engine. It's a Ford, which is not all that special.
Factory spec is synthetic blend. Just about any oil will do for me.
Posted By: Jesse_NE

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Originally Posted by DGXR

I'm trying hard to find a motor oil without the starburst or donut. Does that even exist?

Sure, go to your local John Deere dealer. Their Plus 50 motor oils are CK/SN rated don't have either logos. Why are you even looking for one in the first place?
Posted By: kstanf150

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 02:10 AM

Buy a real oil
Store brand is bottom of the barrel spec stuff
That’s why it’s cheap

Wally World has better oil for the same price !!👍
Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Buy a real oil
That’s why it’s cheap

They are close, but $11.99 for 5 quarts of FS D1G2 5w30 is at least a somewhat good deal if you have the $10 coupon.
Posted By: pbm

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Buy a real oil
That’s why it’s cheap

They are close, but $11.99 for 5 quarts of FS D1G2 5w30 is at least a somewhat good deal if you have the $10 coupon.

I would have absolutely no issue with running O'Reilly synthetic in my family's Fords, Toyota and Hyundai @$11.99 for 5 quarts....if it's at the everyday price I'll go to WM for ST syn. or even QSUD....any of these 3 should do 7K in my Escape or Focus...or my kids cars mentioned earlier...
Posted By: askani79705

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 05:58 AM

Omni products are produced in Shreveport, La. They have an excellent reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to use it
Posted By: dave1251

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 04:14 PM

I just bought 5 quarts of O'Reilly full synthetic. Pretty good price with the coupon. If the coupons keep coming, I will keep buying. $22 oil becomes $12 oil.

If nothing else, this jug could be used to top off between oil changes. Just keep it in the back of car, along with other assorted "just in case" stuff.

I don't have a fancy car with a high performance engine. It's a Ford, which is not all that special.

How does this myth still get spread? The spec is not synthetic blend it's API SN ISLAC GF-5. How the company reaches this spec it's up to them.
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 04:32 PM

I have never kept oil in the back, side or front of the vehicle. Are such folks those without storage rooms or garages? Are you keeping all your tools in the trunk too?
Do some keep their top-off five quart jugs in their bedroom underwear drawer?

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/18/19 05:26 PM

Some people don't have a garage. I have an apartment downtown. Parking is on the street, where ever I can find it. Yes, I do have a tool set in my car. I also have jack, jack stands, air compressor, and other extra fluid.... brake, transmission, washer, coolant.
Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/19/19 12:35 AM

Some people don't have a garage. I have an apartment downtown. Parking is on the street, where ever I can find it. Yes, I do have a tool set in my car. I also have jack, jack stands, air compressor, and other extra fluid.... brake, transmission, washer, coolant.

You do what it takes. Sounds like you have really cool trunk. You'll be ready if something goes wrong with your car while most people have all their stuff at home.

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/19/19 03:56 AM

Some people have auto club memberships. They will wait for a service truck to change their tire, jump start their battery, et cetera. It's all personal preference. I don't want to be the guy on the side of the road, in the middle of the night, in the rain......for hours. It must be a real luxury to be located where you have property. I know that some people have big garages, barns, or something similar where they can park sheltered and do anything they want to their cars. Awesome for those guys who actually have a lift.
Posted By: kstanf150

Re: O Reilly motor oil - 05/19/19 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by dave1251

How does this myth still get spread? The spec is not synthetic blend it's API SN ISLAC GF-5. How the company reaches this spec it's up to them.

And the mystery continues 🤔🤔🤔
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy