Home

Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex?

Posted By: Gokhan

Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 12:43 AM

Has anyone had any oil-related issues during the polar vortex, like difficulty cranking? A 5W-30 probably can take -30 °F but don't you wish you were running 0W-xx?

Meanwhile, we were having a heat wave with the temperatures in the 80s here but we had a thunderstorm with heavy rain this morning.
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 12:45 AM

With PP 5w30 in my 10 year old Camry I've been fine. Also, none to report with M1 5w20 in both F-250 plow trucks either wink
Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:03 AM

No problem with Rotella T6 5w30 in low single digits above zero thumbsup
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
With PP 5w30 in my 10 year old Camry I've been fine. Also, none to report with M1 5w20 in both F-250 plow trucks either wink


No more Signature Adam?
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
With PP 5w30 in my 10 year old Camry I've been fine. Also, none to report with M1 5w20 in both F-250 plow trucks either wink


No more Signature Adam?


I'm trying to decide on next oil to use wink
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:41 AM

No problem here. It got down to 42F.
Posted By: 330indy

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:45 AM

My 2000 Z3 with Redline 0w40 started right up in -14F (sitting outside overnight)
Redline is great stuff
Posted By: ZeeOSix

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:49 AM

I remember back when I had my 1st car (65 Ford Galaxy 500 with a 289 ci) I forgot to change oil before winter (back in Iowa) and we got a cold snap to around 5 below zero. I had 20W-50 in it I believe, and it would barely crank over, but eventually started. I'm sure it wasn't good for the motor, but when you're young and dumb you don't think much about that stuff.
Posted By: SteveG4

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:49 AM

This morning it was -21 degs F in Milwaukee. My Equinox 2.4L with 103,000 miles did not want to turn over whatsoever.

First key advance gave me the dreaded, "Click... then nothing." I quickly relented.
Second key advance produced 4 staggered cranks before the engine ignited / started.

Currently, the SUV has Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 in it, at about 45% on the OLM (recently the price was $18 to $19 on Amazon).
I truly believe the Castrol thickened considerably...!

I'll be switching back to Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 (Full-Syn) and a Fram XG9018 filter soon enough.

Steve
Posted By: MNgopher

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:02 AM

You may want to check your battery. Our fleet equinox grumbled a little on startup at -25, and was slow, but it went. Since its fleet maintained, it gets what ever the low bid was on the correct oil in bulk.

Otherwise no drama in the F150 with 5w30 motorcraft or the the Explorer with 5w20 Mobil conventional in it...
Posted By: StevieC

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:06 AM

No just smooth starting at home where it's plugged in and because of the 0w30 when I'm on the road and do cold restarts after hours at the office or a customers it turns right over smooth.
Posted By: SteveG4

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by MNgopher
You may want to check your battery. Our fleet equinox grumbled a little on startup at -25, and was slow, but it went. Since its fleet maintained, it gets what ever the low bid was on the correct oil in bulk.

Otherwise no drama in the F150 with 5w30 motorcraft or the the Explorer with 5w20 Mobil conventional in it...

Right on!
It's the original battery -- going 6-years old. That does concern me.
I'm thinking a Grp 47 AC-Delco, Delphi, or Deka Intimidator AGM replacement is in-order. smile

Speaking of the Intimidator: https://youtu.be/-2xTFTgRfWs

I used to engineer several hundred A-H, 48 Vdc (floated @ 54 Vdc) battery plants (piles) for numerous telco central offices (CO). I always purchased Eastern Penn AGM battery plants. Eastern Penn makes the Deka series batteries as well. Good stuff made in the USA.
Posted By: dwcopple

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:08 AM

Nope, thanks to an insulated garage.
Posted By: 69Torino

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:12 AM

No problems in my driveway with a 294k mile Ford Freestyle and a 210k mile Hyundai Santa Fe. Both have 5w-20 in them at the moment. Starting 137 diesel school buses this morning however was quite the challenge. We went through CASES of ether.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:12 AM

SAE J300 CCV (cold cranking test) is done at -30 C ( -22 F) for 5w and -35 C (-31 F) for 0w. At -30 F you should sense a difference between the two.
Posted By: Patman

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:22 AM

In previous winters I was running M1 0w20 in my Civic but this winter I'm running PUP 5w20 and even at -22C this morning it still started up just fine. That's pretty much the coldest we'll ever see up here, so I don't need a 0w20 in this car at all (I still run 0w40 in the BMW but not for the 0w part, it's simply because Castrol 0w40 is a great oil and better than most other 5w40s including their own)
Posted By: E365

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:24 AM

5w-30 synthetic (Castrol Edge EP) is surprisingly thicker to pour vs 5w-20 synthetic (Formula Shell) in this video at -26F. 5w-20 wasn’t much different than 0w-20.





Posted By: SteveG4

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:25 AM

Honestly, I've never run a 0w-30 oil in my Alaska-based Chevy Silverado -- only 5w-30 synthetics or semi-syn in the summer. Only occasionally, does it get -30 in the "Valley" area, 50 miles north of Anchorage. But, I bet the 0w oils would benefit my truck in those frigid conditions up north.

I believe Mobil makes a 0w-30 oil for that need. I wonder what other company does?
Posted By: Dylan1303

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:33 AM

No problems starting my cruze in low 20’s with pp 10w30
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dylan1303
No problems starting my cruze in low 20’s with pp 10w30




Wait until next week.
Posted By: loub

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:55 AM

Chicago suburb, low of -24, high temperature for the day-10. 2013 Camry sitting outside for 26 hours ( MB1 0w20) a little hesitant to start, but it did start.The battery is original, almost six years old.I guess I should be thankful!
Posted By: dan_erickson

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:56 AM

Honda started just fine in the heated garage. Castrol 0w20
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by 69Torino
No problems in my driveway with a 294k mile Ford Freestyle and a 210k mile Hyundai Santa Fe. Both have 5w-20 in them at the moment. Starting 137 diesel school buses this morning however was quite the challenge. We went through CASES of ether.

What kind of diesel engines in the busses? Does the manufacturer say that that ether is OK to us in them?
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by SteveG4


I believe Mobil makes a 0w-30 oil for that need. I wonder what other company does?





Attached picture C9E23D40-E76E-4799-9387-BFC2195E0D0A.jpeg
Attached picture 687D880C-10C2-494A-9B93-840C1F8E653D.jpeg
Posted By: benjy

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:27 AM

had an oil thirsty 72 nova 307 cu in, running valvoline conventional 20-50 to cut consumption, 0 degrees = no start!!! few years ago in my traded hardly i had Amsoil 20-50 in it in a cold garage prolly hi 30's lo 40's killed battery before starting. back then Amsoil synthetic was advertised as PAO, but i wonder about that!!!
Posted By: edyvw

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:56 AM

Started once Opel Vectra B 20.16V in Bosnia on -42c having Olma 10W40 oil in it (Slovenian company). Camshafts complaind for 2-3 seconds, but everything was OK.
In Colorado, started various vehicles I had around -37c while sitting overnight, none had issues with 5W oils in them, and Tiguan since it always had 0W40, never complained. None vehicle had rattling noise.
Sienna on other hand ALWYAS has rattling noise regardless of ambient temperature.
Posted By: rubberchicken

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 04:32 AM

Huh, great coincidence- I have a coworker who might have a oil related issue with engine damage, but its too soon to tell.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4997659/cold-temps-blown-engine
Posted By: Dylan1303

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Dylan1303
No problems starting my cruze in low 20’s with pp 10w30




Wait until next week.

My zip is 99006 i only see a low of 18 comming up. I think i will be fine. I never had a cold start issue in my life but theres always a first time.
Posted By: jhellwig

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 05:03 AM

My 2016 Chevy 2500 started and had a bad power steering whine this morning at -15f. Coworker started his work truck yesterday in about -25f and didn’t get oil pressure till he shut it off and restarted it. He said it started fine this morning but when he went to leave the truck said the outside temp was -35f. Where he lives I belieave it was officially lower than -30f. Don’t know if the truck was accurate or not.

I keept forgetting to take out the calibrated tempature probe in my truck to see how cold it really was. They finally decided they were going to give up on trying to get our pipeline run yesterday. My valve actuators that are supposed to be good for -40 wasn’t wanting to operate. I use arctic grease and synthetic gear oil and it isn’t enough.
Posted By: ekpolk

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Nope, thanks to an insulated garage.

Nope, not me either, thanks to living in South Florida. I almost had to put a jacket on the other day. Thank goodness I've got 0w-20 in the Prius... laugh
Posted By: Gasbuggy

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 05:42 AM

My Yukon did not want to idle smoothly when I started it at 5 degrees, real feel -3. PP10w30
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 05:43 AM

I was a little concerned at the 5W40 in my Colorado at 40C after work (105F).

But I think I got away with it.
Posted By: bbhero

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shannow
I was a little concerned at the 5W40 in my Colorado at 40C after work (105F).

But I think I got away with it.



Well that because you should have had a straight 40 grade in your Colorado LOL
Posted By: Michael_P

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 06:08 AM

Started my 97 F150 4.6 with 301,000 miles, original engine and transmission in -9F. The engine (M1 0W30), trans (Amsoil ATF) and diff (Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140) were fine but the power steering sounded like a mashed cat for the first 20 seconds. Later that day, I vac'd out the reservoir and the lines leading to the power steering pump. I replaced it with Super Tech low viscosity ATF. The next morning it was -5F, but no power steering noises.
Posted By: csandste

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 06:57 AM

Remember running straight 10 weight in a 53 Mercury flat head in the mid sixties. South Dakota cold! Then I'd stick in STP when it got warm.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Started my 97 F150 4.6 with 301,000 miles, original engine and transmission in -9F. The engine (M1 0W30), trans (Amsoil ATF) and diff (Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140) were fine but the power steering sounded like a mashed cat for the first 20 seconds. Later that day, I vac'd out the reservoir and the lines leading to the power steering pump. I replaced it with Super Tech low viscosity ATF. The next morning it was -5F, but no power steering noises.


That's seriously an issue of undermaintenance in so many vehicles on the road.
Posted By: Gokhan

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 07:27 AM

That's probably a PS fluid leak. When it gets cold, the PS fluid level drops even more, causing screeching sounds. Unfortunately, I have the same problem. Perhaps, you can find out where the leak is and fix it. Or keep checking the level of the PS fluid.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gokhan
That's probably a PS fluid leak. When it gets cold, the PS fluid level drops even more, causing screeching sounds. Unfortunately, I have the same problem. Perhaps, you can find out where the leak is and fix it. Or keep checking the level of the PS fluid.


No, I've had it here in Oz, on cold mornings no lower than -7C...with a perfectly fine oil level, on multiple cars as the fluid ages.

Two of the three pumps failed not very long (a year) after it started...but the problem went away after a reservoir change and a short drive.

I'm pretty sire that the poster would have known if he was running of oil.
Posted By: Gokhan

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 07:57 AM

Well, it could be (1) a PS fluid that is in a really bad shape, (2) leaks in the system, or (3) a low PS fluid level. It was (3) in may case and it happened in cold days and cold starts. Interestingly, the PS fluid was never changed in my car in 34 years -- it would definitely be good to change it though but it's a messy job with the hoses in all the unreachable places and I don't want to do it.
Posted By: FT92

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 08:10 AM

minus 6 this morning and the 99 accord started like it was a 80 degree day running 5-30 napa oil which I believe is vavoline the ford focus the same no problems at all
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Well, it could be (1) a PS fluid that is in a really bad shape, (2) leaks in the system, or (3) a low PS fluid level. It was (3) in may case and it happened in cold days and cold starts. Interestingly, the PS fluid was never changed in my car in 34 years -- it would definitely be good to change it though but it's a messy job with the hoses in all the unreachable places and I don't want to do it.


Don't you think the poster, having a leak and running out of fluid would have attributed the noise to THAT not the ambient and old fluid ?
Posted By: Gokhan

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Shannow
Don't you think the poster, having a leak and running out of fluid would have attributed the noise to THAT not the ambient and old fluid ?

You had already made that point.

Originally Posted by Shannow
I'm pretty sire that the poster would have known if he was running of oil.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:45 AM

And having initially (incorrectly) asserted it you re stated it in points 2), and 3) of your potentials for what he experienced.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Has anyone had any oil-related issues during the polar vortex, like difficulty cranking? A 5W-30 probably can take -30 °F but don't you wish you were running 0W-xx?

I've been fine, although our winter has oddly enough been better than most who got hit with this lately. In any case, I've had no problems with a 5w-XX for as long as I've been driving, and only did a 0w-XX a few times. I might have noted before that anecdotally, the 5w-30 HDEO seems to crank a little more readily than the 5w-40 HDEO, but that's not a huge difference nor unexpected.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 11:06 AM

Snagglefoot, that's the Pennzoil 0w-30 Caterham was recommending I try in the G37 when that oil first came out. It certainly was and is worthy of consideration, and would meet my specifications, but back then, one litre bottles only were available, and that, particularly from CT, does not a cheap oil change make. wink
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 11:48 AM

Hi Garak. I’m thinking that CT does a sale on PP, P Euro and P Euro L once in a while in the $29 to $33 range.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by E365
5w-30 synthetic (Castrol Edge EP) is surprisingly thicker to pour vs 5w-20 synthetic (Formula Shell) in this video at -26F. 5w-20 wasn’t much different than 0w-20.



Based on the cold cranking CCS numbers the temp would have to be in the -31 F range before the difference between 0w20 and 5w20 would be obvious. Close but not quite cold enough in the video.
Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 12:22 PM

M1 HM 10w-30 started no problem at 28F

Florida didn’t freeze hard like the rest of the country.
Posted By: Donald

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Has anyone had any oil-related issues during the polar vortex, like difficulty cranking? A 5W-30 probably can take -30 °F but don't you wish you were running 0W-xx?

Meanwhile, we were having a heat wave with the temperatures in the 80s here but we had a thunderstorm with heavy rain this morning.


Only diesel fuel issues.
Posted By: Patman

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ekpolk

Nope, not me either, thanks to living in South Florida. I almost had to put a jacket on the other day. Thank goodness I've got 0w-20 in the Prius... laugh


I'm heading to Orlando tonight, keep some warm weather ready for me smile
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Hi Garak. I’m thinking that CT does a sale on PP, P Euro and P Euro L once in a while in the $29 to $33 range.

And Euro LX.
Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 12:59 PM

Asked a buddy in MN who was seeing -32F (by his vehicle) if he was having trouble starting, he was fine with 0W20.
His car is garaged at home, but the daytime temps have also been abysmal and he's had no issues.

I'll have to ask my BIL in WI if he had any trouble with the fleet of cars he maintains for his family, I'd bet anything that he runs 10W30...all the people I know who are still in Chicago are rich and certainly don't do their own car maintenance.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:03 PM

No, not even in -35F+/- when I'd visit my cousin in the Adirondack mountains. That was long before the days of 0W-anything.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 01:33 PM

Is it over?

hide
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:08 PM

Oh,oh. Round two for Winnipeg next week. Also Calgary is going to -29 C on Super Bowl Sunday. .
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Started my 97 F150 4.6 with 301,000 miles, original engine and transmission in -9F. The engine (M1 0W30), trans (Amsoil ATF) and diff (Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140) were fine but the power steering sounded like a mashed cat for the first 20 seconds. Later that day, I vac'd out the reservoir and the lines leading to the power steering pump. I replaced it with Super Tech low viscosity ATF. The next morning it was -5F, but no power steering noises.


Ford PS pumps are notoriously noisy when the fluid gets old (and thick). I have used M1 ATF or AMSOIL ATF in them, which would typically rectify it.
Posted By: JoelB

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:18 PM

I bought a 2015 Elantra monday before the "polar vortex" hit. It stressed me out having no idea anything about the cars service history going into such a tough time. The lowest temps we saw were -29F, high on wednesday was -15F. But even though it was parked outside it started. Not always on the first try, but it started.
Posted By: Michael_P

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:22 PM

Thanks OVERKILL. I should have known this seeing I bought this truck new in 1996. I have done a few PS fluid flushes, but its been about 10 years since my last one.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Thanks OVERKILL. I should have known this seeing I bought this truck new in 1996. I have done a few PS fluid flushes, but its been about 10 years since my last one.


That'd definitely do it!
Posted By: Patman

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Oh,oh. Round two for Winnipeg next week. Also Calgary is going to -29 C on Super Bowl Sunday. .


We are on a rollercoaster ride here. We've had 3 days now where it hasn't gone over -15C and has been -20C to -22C overnight. But then it's going up to +5C on Sunday and +8C on Monday! But by next Friday it'll be cold again (not as cold as this week though)
Posted By: Thugzy

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:01 PM

Toronto Temperatures (-13F / -25C)
2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboost - M1 FS 0W40 - No issues
2015 F150 5.0 V8 - PUP 5W30 - No issues
2018 Merc C300 - M1 FS 0W40 - No issues

All started without any abnormal noises. Starter speed normal
Posted By: ekpolk

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by ekpolk

Nope, not me either, thanks to living in South Florida. I almost had to put a jacket on the other day. Thank goodness I've got 0w-20 in the Prius... laugh


I'm heading to Orlando tonight, keep some warm weather ready for me smile
Be careful -- you might not be able to convince yourself to go back! Swaying palms and warm sea breezes can have a powerful effect. . . wink Orlando might be a tad less "convincing," but you'll still be in jeopardy!
Posted By: Patman

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ekpolk


Be careful -- you might not be able to convince yourself to go back! Swaying palms and warm sea breezes can have a powerful effect. . . wink Orlando might be a tad less "convincing," but you'll still be in jeopardy!


Orlando isn't our usual Florida destination, but we found a flight for $100 round trip so we couldn't resist. We usually like to go to SW Florida (Marco Island is our fave!) Since I met my wife in 2011, we have been to Florida 10 times! We're retiring in 2022 and from that point on we're going to spend every winter in SW Florida so the word polar vortex will be something we laugh at in the future smile
Posted By: StevieC

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Orlando isn't our usual Florida destination, but we found a flight for $100 round trip so we couldn't resist. We usually like to go to SW Florida (Marco Island is our fave!) Since I met my wife in 2011, we have been to Florida 10 times! We're retiring in 2022 and from that point on we're going to spend every winter in SW Florida so the word polar vortex will be something we laugh at in the future smile


I'll look after the Vette while you are gone. LOL
Posted By: Patman

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:26 PM

That's awfully kind of you to offer Stevie but on those trips the Vette will be coming with us! laugh
Posted By: StevieC

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
That's awfully kind of you to offer Stevie but on those trips the Vette will be coming with us! laugh

grin2 That's what I thought, but it was worth a shot.
Posted By: jmb3675

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 05:48 PM

My 2002 Focus started OK Tuesday night at -23f but failed to start Wednesday at -33f. It tried to start but just couldn't. It has Super Tech synthetic high mileage 5w20 with 4000 miles on the oil.
My 1993 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 did start Wednesday with Resolute 10w30. It was banging pretty loud at first. If I didn't have to get to work, I would have just shut it off. It has 100 miles on the oil.
My kids Focus across town started OK at -27f with Maxlife 5w20. It has just over 1000 miles on the oil.
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 06:24 PM

Facing the vehicle to the wind in an open area, gives those cold starts a real-feel temperature to deal with.
Posted By: addyguy

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 06:32 PM

January 21st, overnight temp hit -28C, my Soul failed to start. It had started a couple of times at that temp before the 21st, but couldn't do it that day.

Now, mea culpa, it has M1EP 10W-30 in it, a nine-year old battery (original!), and was not plugged in.

Since then, have been plugging it in, but even with that, it struggles to start as we are still in -28C overnight temps.

Battery is obviously on its last legs, but can't change it now or change the oil, so we will see what happens.
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 06:36 PM

I discard four year old Costco batteries and I am near Ohio. The last time I bought 10w30 for my GMs / Chryslers, was in the early 1990s.
You are too far north for 10w in January and old-old batteries. Preventative care is needed when seasons change drastically and things become old and brittle.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by addyguy
January 21st, overnight temp hit -28C, my Soul failed to start. It had started a couple of times at that temp before the 21st, but couldn't do it that day.

Now, mea culpa, it has M1EP 10W-30 in it, a nine-year old battery (original!), and was not plugged in.

Since then, have been plugging it in, but even with that, it struggles to start as we are still in -28C overnight temps.

Battery is obviously on its last legs, but can't change it now or change the oil, so we will see what happens.





Why can’t you change the battery?
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 06:55 PM

The hood latch to his vehicle is rusted closed.
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I discard four year old Costco batteries and I am near Ohio. The last time I bought 10w30 for my GMs / Chryslers, was in the early 1990s.
You are too far north for 10w in January and old-old batteries. Preventative care is needed when seasons change drastically and things become old and brittle.


Yeah, my battery lasted 6 years and I replaced it this summer. Putting either M1 0w30 or 0w20 AFE in really soon
Posted By: AdamZ

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 07:22 PM

The 5w30 in my 02 Xterra seems okay, starter is a little sluggish on -25C days. New battery. But the lifters clatter sometimes on cold starts. But only for a few seconds. If the idiot light is to be believed the pressure comes up very quickly. I changed the oil from Valvoline conventional to the regular mobil1 synthetic and noticed no difference at all in cold starts....

Wonder if I should start using the block heater lol. The supercharger ain't happy at those temps.
Posted By: Miller88

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 07:23 PM

The next two nights are supposed to be cold here and the Cherokee has conventional 10w40 in the engine. We'll see how that works but it's never had issues starting before. It may make a bit of a tick for a few seconds but after that it's fine.
Posted By: Patman

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Facing the vehicle to the wind in an open area, gives those cold starts a real-feel temperature to deal with.


Wind chill has zero effect on an engine, it's all about the ambient temperature.
Posted By: ZeeOSix

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Facing the vehicle to the wind in an open area, gives those cold starts a real-feel temperature to deal with.


Wind chill has zero affect on an engine, it's all about the ambient temperature.


Wind only effects the rate of heat loss, but yeah, it can't get any colder than the still air temperature.
Posted By: 2003GPW

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:28 PM

Here in northern Illinois, my IS300 sat outside from last Saturday, the 26th, until Wednesday morning. It was about -30F. Wind chill was around -53F. The cat had a vet appointment at 9am. I went out to start it up at 8. It cranked as slowly as I've ever heard a car crank. The battery is 3 years old. It fired up after what seemed like 20 seconds of turning over. I let it run for 25 minutes before leaving and I left it running at the vet's while I was inside for an hour. Other than the very hard start, the only other thing that struck me was that the power steering fluid never thinned out. After two and a half hours running, the steering was still very heavy. This car is a champ! Fifteen years old with almost 150,000 on it and it's as solid and reliable as most new cars out there. My neighbor's 2016 Chevy small-suv-thingy didn't start that same morning.

Also, the forecast for Monday is 41F and rain. What a difference 5 days makes.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:37 PM

You were definitely past the cold cranking
Originally Posted by 2003GPW
Here in northern Illinois, my IS300 sat outside from last Saturday, the 26th, until Wednesday morning. It was about -30F. Wind chill was around -53F. The cat had a vet appointment at 9am. I went out to start it up at 8. It cranked as slowly as I've ever heard a car crank. The battery is 3 years old. It fired up after what seemed like 20 seconds of turning over. I let it run for 25 minutes before leaving and I left it running at the vet's while I was inside for an hour. Other than the very hard start, the only other thing that struck me was that the power steering fluid never thinned out. After two and a half hours running, the steering was still very heavy. This car is a champ! Fifteen years old with almost 150,000 on it and it's as solid and reliable as most new cars out there. My neighbor's 2016 Chevy small-suv-thingy didn't start that same morning.

Also, the forecast for Monday is 41F and rain. What a difference 5 days makes.


You were definitely past the Cold Cranking rating for your "blend" and were probably right into the pumping limit. The CCS limit for the 5w-xx designation is -30C (-22F), you were roughly 5C below that at -35C, which is where the cold temp pumping limit for the designation is tested. Considering you have it mixed with 1/2 a quart of 15w-50, you are lucky it pumped.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:40 PM

2005 Matrix with 5w30 VWB in it. Car has 150k and started up just fine at -3 the other morning. Just put a new battery in since the old one was over 6 years old. Glad I replaced it. I only let it idle for 30 seconds since the cold idle is pretty high, around 1600 or so. I just go very easy on it and the rpms are around 1800 or so when driving. Car seemed to do fine. Also have 4500 miles/3 months on the VWB so time for an oil change soon. Fourth consecutive interval of that oil and doesn't burn a drop of it unlike with some other oils like MC syn-blend 5w20 and 5w30.

Have 5 qts of PUP 5w20 on hand along with 20 qts of Idemitsu 0w20 full syn that I can use.
Posted By: 53' Stude

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
2005 Matrix with 5w30 VWB in it. Car has 150k and started up just fine at -3 the other morning. Just put a new battery in since the old one was over 6 years old. Glad I replaced it. I only let it idle for 30 seconds since the cold idle is pretty high, around 1600 or so. I just go very easy on it and the rpms are around 1800 or so when driving. Car seemed to do fine. Also have 4500 miles/3 months on the VWB so time for an oil change soon.



Good to hear sir. The PP 5w30 did great Wednesday and Thursday morning smile
Posted By: Huie83

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:45 PM

I'm in MN. I parked my VW Golf TDI outside on the coldest night, -50'ish. Cycled the glow plugs a few times and it fired right up in the AM, no drama, no weird noises. It has Castrol SLX professional 5w-30 in it.

Our 2010 Impala and 2006 Sienna also fired right up that afternoon, started them just to run them a bit. They were a little slow to crank but sounded fine on start.The Power steering on both wined a little but only for a few seconds. Both have Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in them.
Posted By: JC1

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:45 PM

There will be more battery issues than oil issues unless you're running 20w-50 in these temps.

No oil issues for me.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 09:45 PM

Glad it's warming up to the 50's this weekend. What a difference a few days makes! No more bone chilling temps for a while I hope.
Posted By: addyguy

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/01/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by addyguy
January 21st, overnight temp hit -28C, my Soul failed to start. It had started a couple of times at that temp before the 21st, but couldn't do it that day.

Now, mea culpa, it has M1EP 10W-30 in it, a nine-year old battery (original!), and was not plugged in.

Since then, have been plugging it in, but even with that, it struggles to start as we are still in -28C overnight temps.

Battery is obviously on its last legs, but can't change it now or change the oil, so we will see what happens.





Why can’t you change the battery?


Serious cash flow problem at the moment. Also reason oil wasn't changed for the winter...a move happened a lot sooner than I thought and $$ have been tied up in that.

I don't blame the car for not starting, it deserves better for that!
Posted By: TiredTrucker

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/02/19 03:37 AM

Well, my 2015 Chevy 2500 gasser pickup did just fine with the 10w30 syn blend that it gets. And my heavy commercial truck did just fine with the 10w30 HDEO syn blend that it gets. Both vehicles starting and running just fine at -20F and below. My commercial truck was in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana for all of this cold snap. Pickup was in Iowa the whole time. Wife used in several times to go to town during this cold snap. Did have to finally change out a fuel filter in the commercial truck this morning, but that was the extent of anything related to the cold.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/02/19 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Well, my 2015 Chevy 2500 gasser pickup did just fine with the 10w30 syn blend that it gets. And my heavy commercial truck did just fine with the 10w30 HDEO syn blend that it gets. Both vehicles starting and running just fine at -20F and below. My commercial truck was in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana for all of this cold snap. Pickup was in Iowa the whole time. Wife used in several times to go to town during this cold snap. Did have to finally change out a fuel filter in the commercial truck this morning, but that was the extent of anything related to the cold.


You have them plugged in?
Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/02/19 04:28 AM

No problem each morning after temps of near ~ –40 overnight and dead block heater. This is the first time I'm running Mobil1 0W-30. For going on nine years it had been on a steady diet of Mobil 1 5W-30.

I didn't notice any difference. The engine sounded the same starting and running as it did in earlier years when I couldn't plug it in and with 5W-30 in it.
Posted By: Aero540T

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/02/19 04:38 AM

My 04 Grand Cherokee started very slowly even with a new battery but it was -22. It went into reverse fine but hesitated going into drive for a few seconds. Is that normal considering the conditions?
Once I was going it was fine and warmed up quickly
Posted By: nyquil_junkie

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/02/19 04:56 AM

When I was a kid we always had a heated dipstick in the car or truck we had in the winter. I can remember the things would barely crank without them.

Somewhere along the line, we/I stopped using them and I don't remember why.... but starting was never a problem after that.

Now yesterday, at a balmy -25 windchill, I got in the ranger to start it and it was slow but started. The oil pressure took about 30 sec to move the needle. I let it run for a while to defrost the windows and off it went.

If this cold is going to be a new normal, I'll have to dig out one of those old heated dipsticks.

One of my sisters old ford vans way back when had a 1500w heater on the water hose... it was toasty warm heat and an easy start every morning and no waiting.

Winters musta been much colder back then.
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/02/19 09:48 AM

No issues, but block heaters sound nice just to run 2 hours before driving.

Finding one for her Volvo has been oddly difficult. My truck just looks like a pain.
Posted By: TiredTrucker

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/03/19 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Well, my 2015 Chevy 2500 gasser pickup did just fine with the 10w30 syn blend that it gets. And my heavy commercial truck did just fine with the 10w30 HDEO syn blend that it gets. Both vehicles starting and running just fine at -20F and below. My commercial truck was in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana for all of this cold snap. Pickup was in Iowa the whole time. Wife used in several times to go to town during this cold snap. Did have to finally change out a fuel filter in the commercial truck this morning, but that was the extent of anything related to the cold.


You have them plugged in?


Not during this event. The semi truck is the only one that gets plugged in, but that is when it is at home. But during this event, even it was not plugged it at any point this last week since it was out and away from home. The pickup does not have a block heater, so it is moot point.

To be fair, primarily to keep diesel fuel from gelling or any possible water in it from freezing and clogging filters and causing problems, my standard policy for the semi truck when it is out away from home and the temps are 0F or below, it doesn't get shut off except only for short periods. The amount of fuel it uses idling for 10 hrs at current pricing is the same as the cost of one fuel filter. So I just idle most of the time to keep fuel warmer and avoid filter plugging issues at sub zero temps. Obvious from the number of sidelined commercial trucks this last week, that some don't take proper proactive measures.
Posted By: TiredTrucker

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/03/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by nyquil_junkie
When I was a kid we always had a heated dipstick in the car or truck we had in the winter. I can remember the things would barely crank without them.

Somewhere along the line, we/I stopped using them and I don't remember why.... but starting was never a problem after that.

Now yesterday, at a balmy -25 windchill, I got in the ranger to start it and it was slow but started. The oil pressure took about 30 sec to move the needle. I let it run for a while to defrost the windows and off it went.

If this cold is going to be a new normal, I'll have to dig out one of those old heated dipsticks.

One of my sisters old ford vans way back when had a 1500w heater on the water hose... it was toasty warm heat and an easy start every morning and no waiting.

Winters musta been much colder back then.


Phillips makes some pretty good heater pads for oil pans, filters, and batteries. I have them on many of my various commercial on road and off road vehicles and equipment. Grew fond of them when I lived 10 years in the interior of Alaska.
Posted By: BobFout

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/03/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Originally Posted by nyquil_junkie
When I was a kid we always had a heated dipstick in the car or truck we had in the winter. I can remember the things would barely crank without them.

Somewhere along the line, we/I stopped using them and I don't remember why.... but starting was never a problem after that.

Now yesterday, at a balmy -25 windchill, I got in the ranger to start it and it was slow but started. The oil pressure took about 30 sec to move the needle. I let it run for a while to defrost the windows and off it went.

If this cold is going to be a new normal, I'll have to dig out one of those old heated dipsticks.

One of my sisters old ford vans way back when had a 1500w heater on the water hose... it was toasty warm heat and an easy start every morning and no waiting.

Winters musta been much colder back then.


Phillips makes some pretty good heater pads for oil pans, filters, and batteries. I have them on many of my various commercial on road and off road vehicles and equipment. Grew fond of them when I lived 10 years in the interior of Alaska.


I spent 5 years in FAI, I still miss it sometimes. I'm amazed at how warm it's been up there the past 20 years. Lows of -30F...pfffft. Back in my day -30F was the high temp in the middle of winter. Gimme some -40F, -50F temps shocked2

Back then, 0wXX didn't exist for the average person. If you were lucky, you either plugged in, or left your car running for a few hours during the day.
Posted By: 21Rouge

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/03/19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Garak
Snagglefoot, that's the Pennzoil 0w-30 Caterham was recommending I try in the G37 when that oil first came out. It certainly was and is worthy of consideration, and would meet my specifications, but back then, one litre bottles only were available, and that, particularly from CT, does not a cheap oil change make. wink


With temps as low as -24C in January I slept better knowing this exact oil was in use in our GOLF R. I will pull a sample to UOA come April/May. CATERHAM would be proud wink.
Posted By: ofelas

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 11:33 AM

Coldest I saw this winter was -30c.

Couldn't make out the difference between my current 0w40 fill and the previous 5w30 HDD fill - I tend to check by how quickly the dash oil pressure gauge needle rises, as I'm too lazy to open the hood & watch the mechanical gauge while someone else cranks the truck.

Surprisingly, I've never had a noisy/sluggish winter steering issue, though I only use the obsolete MS-5931 PS fluid. Still have a few 12-pack cases of OEM fluid left.
Posted By: Diesel12

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 12:58 PM

224K 08 Avenger rolled over slow but fired right up. Ignition said -7F and it was in a parking lot being blasted by the wind. Car was sitting for 11 hours currently eith Schaeffer 5w-20 with Redline power steering fluid and E85 fuel.
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ofelas
Coldest I saw this winter was -30c.

Couldn't make out the difference between my current 0w40 fill and the previous 5w30 HDD fill - I tend to check by how quickly the dash oil pressure gauge needle rises, as I'm too lazy to open the hood & watch the mechanical gauge while someone else cranks the truck.

Surprisingly, I've never had a noisy/sluggish winter steering issue, though I only use the obsolete MS-5931 PS fluid. Still have a few 12-pack cases of OEM fluid left.


You can't hear the difference between 5w30 and 0w40, , unless you are standing in front of the radiator when the engine is started by someone else.
You may even hear a barking oil filter then too.
Posted By: Serge

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 05:20 PM

No issues starting old beater on Resolute 10w30 in -35F.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 05:24 PM

There are always issues starting a car at -35F even with the proper oil.
Posted By: Serge

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 05:31 PM

Nop no issues. Started her up and in 30 sec i was going 60mph down the road.
Posted By: ofelas

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 05:33 PM

Oil filters on Mopars don't bark, chirp, or tweet, even with GM snowflakes melting all around them.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ofelas
Coldest I saw this winter was -30c.

Couldn't make out the difference between my current 0w40 fill and the previous 5w30 HDD fill - I tend to check by how quickly the dash oil pressure gauge needle rises, as I'm too lazy to open the hood & watch the mechanical gauge while someone else cranks the truck.

Surprisingly, I've never had a noisy/sluggish winter steering issue, though I only use the obsolete MS-5931 PS fluid. Still have a few 12-pack cases of OEM fluid left.


You can't hear the difference between 5w30 and 0w40, , unless you are standing in front of the radiator when the engine is started by someone else.
You may even hear a barking oil filter then too.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/04/19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Serge
Nop no issues. Started her up and in 30 sec i was going 60mph down the road.

Sure OK.
Posted By: r34dy2fly

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/05/19 12:13 AM

No issues here. Subaru started right up during polar vortex. -24 overnight. Currently on Subaru 0w-20. New car.
Posted By: mcwilly

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/05/19 05:18 AM

I stuck a magnetic oil pan heater on the 2001 Toyota echo 3 hours prior to starting. After sitting for 3 days it turned over 3 times pretty slow then fired up. -25C at the time with 5w30 PP in the sump.
Posted By: r34dy2fly

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/05/19 05:48 AM

I feel like it's the battery that that has most issue these days when temps drop so suddenly.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/07/19 01:48 PM

The city of Saskatoon, population: 246,000 is going to -40 tonight.

Come on everybody, let’s sing the Rodeo Song:

“ It’s forty below, got a heater in the truck, and I don’t give a f#$& and I’m off to the rodeo.......” LOL
Posted By: D Hill

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 12:20 AM

It was -5 here and my 02 Focus with 194k miles fired right up. I'm running Penzoil Platinum HM full synthetic 5-30.
Posted By: jongies3

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 06:23 AM

-25 this morning, the fresh M1 AFE 0W-30 I put in last weekend (when it was still 45 degrees!) didn't even skip a beat! No hint of startup rattle at all I've experienced with many other oils. Be my third oil change with it, I'm pretty sold on this oil for year round use in Montana and the price is unbeatable. My pickup doesn't have a block heater and is parked outside year round too.

What I'm even more impressed with is the DieHard battery that's been in the truck since I bought it in November 2014 and was presumably used a bit prior to my ownership is still going strong!
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The city of Saskatoon, population: 246,000 is going to -40 tonight.

Come on everybody, let’s sing the Rodeo Song:

“ It’s forty below, got a heater in the truck, and I don’t give a f#$& and I’m off to the rodeo.......” LOL


Ouch.

And the furnace in our new to us house couldn't keep up at -15*F or so. Thankfully we have the wood stove.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 11:09 AM

Baby it’s cold outside. Saskatoon hit -42.6 C (-44.7 F) at 9:00 AM on Feb 6 and broke a 112 year old record. shocked2



Attached picture 871D804C-E8C4-4A47-89A9-2F4E34A3CCA1.jpeg
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 02:23 PM

Mick Jagger once said “ Regina rhymes with Fun! “ Not this morning. -36 F laugh




Attached picture 9CAFFC7E-7660-4012-99F2-7F33BC34B550.jpeg
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 02:53 PM

^ Ouch!
Posted By: StevieC

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 02:55 PM

Yikes and it was 8c earlier this week in Ontario. shrug
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/08/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mick Jagger once said “ Regina rhymes with Fun! “ Not this morning. -36 F laugh




Do you just stop caring at this point?

Once you can't feel it, it no longer matters right? Lol.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/15/19 01:46 AM

And we hit -40 the other night here, and that wasn't fun. It hasn't been above -20 C for days. My 5w-30 is serving me well. Granted, when it was -40, it wasn't outside for days at a time, but it is spending 8 or more hours outside in some pretty ugly conditions.
Posted By: leeaspell

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/15/19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Garak
And we hit -40 the other night here, and that wasn't fun. It hasn't been above -20 C for days. My 5w-30 is serving me well. Granted, when it was -40, it wasn't outside for days at a time, but it is spending 8 or more hours outside in some pretty ugly conditions.

Still in to the -30 range at night around here, but today hit -11 with not a cloud in the sky and no wind. Light shirt and no long johns, was just like summer lol
Posted By: Garak

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/15/19 08:56 AM

What's this -11 C of which you speak? It's -33 C right now, and -11 isn't even in our long term forecast. I guess this is why I use the same fill all year round without deviation. I still had a good, easy start tonight, despite many hours outside.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/15/19 11:29 AM

I'm utterly mind boggled by the temperatures being described here...
Posted By: ofelas

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/15/19 11:34 AM

I should have bought stock in Duron...
Posted By: hpb

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/15/19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shannow
I'm utterly mind boggled by the temperatures being described here...


Me too. People who can live in that sort of environment have my utmost respect!
Posted By: Powerstroke

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/15/19 10:40 PM

-35 over night temps in Prior Lake, MN during polar vortex.

2017 Ford Explorer 3.5 v6 sat outside all night NOT plugged in. Remote started it. It started within 3 seconds. Wasn't happy, but started lol. Was quite impressed.

Oil: Amsoil OE 5w20 w/1 can of 2009 mos2 liqui moly
Fuel: 88 octane w/15mil of Archoil AR6200

Many vehicles in my neighborhood did not start, oil was just too frozen, too thick or battery not enough juice.

My 2014 F-150 3.7 v6 work truck with Motorcraft 5w20, frozen block, would NOT start, with a full charged new battery. Oil too thick.

2007 6.0 powerstroke plugged in, fired right up with Delo 400 LE 5w30..w/archoil ar6200 in diesel fuel. But my power steering was a different story, sounded like it was going to EXPLODE

Posted By: Garak

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/17/19 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ofelas
I should have bought stock in Duron...

I should have bought real estate in Arizona. wink
Posted By: ka9mnx

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/17/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by ofelas
I should have bought stock in Duron...

I should have bought real estate in Arizona. wink

When I was a kid it always baffled me that most of the Southern border of Canada was the Northern most part of the US.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 02/17/19 10:51 PM

I will grant that oils have gotten much better, and our options are always improving. Nothing help more than being closer to the equator, though. wink
Posted By: nyquil_junkie

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 09/11/19 08:11 PM

Just checking my posts since I've been gone a while.... this one reminded me of my long dead uncle Bill, he used to shovel a bucket of hot coals out of his massive coal furnace in the winter, put a lid on it, and set it under his farm tractor engine and then go have breakfast. By the time he got back it would start up with no struggle.
Posted By: jakewells

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 09/12/19 11:11 AM

All of my equipment has block and oil heaters and they stay plugged in all winter my old ford 8n has no trouble starting unplugged with sae 30 in the crankcase and it is 6 volt.
The nice thing about block heaters is instant heat after starting.
Posted By: jongies3

Re: Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex? - 09/15/19 06:16 AM

Don't miss this at all and not looking forward to winter one bit! Almanac says this year's gonna be worse than last year so we shall see... Hope they're wrong!
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy