Should have changed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my pilot today at 3700mi (MM was at 20%) but left the filter on( Honda A01). Was that a right move it should have been changed oout as well? I feel like i did ok although would like to hear y'alls opinion

Honda usually says to change the filter every other OCI - check the maintenance schedule.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Honda usually says to change the filter every other OCI - check the maintenance schedule.

I actually didn't believe you until I looked it up

That's rather curious

Originally Posted by parshisa
I had to in order to be compliant with warranty requirements

According to your orginal post this was not the case.

20% or 15% on MM doesn't make that much of a difference. Car has been up anyways so i figured why not. Free oil went in. Filter stays on. How did i do?

I would have changed it unless the filter is rated to go a lot longer. I don't know a lot about the reputation of your filter but you should be ok if changing every 3700 miles or so.

Given the fact that Honda recommends chaning filter every other OCI, my Civic would have to have filter on for around 20K ( MM on it goes on at 10K). I guess they believe it lasts

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter

That's rather curious

Not really. If people read the manual, that's actually been standard for lots of cars.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

That's rather curious

Not really. If people read the manual, that's actually been standard for lots of cars.

Curious for me. Every car I've messed with has had it spec'd oil and filter.

Saying "if people read the manual" is somewhat self defeating as most wouldn't have access to manuals of new cars, let alone memorize them and stay up to date.

I do question these MMs. You're at 3700 miles on the oil and you're at 20%. On my 2018 Pilot I currently have 4800 miles on the oil and I just hit 50%. It's been a hot summer here, I'm mostly city driving, give it the beans all the time and do a fair amount of idling. Hmmm....

Originally Posted by Wolf359

That's rather curious

I can't remember a single car I've owned that didn't state the filter should be changed every other OC.

So if its recommended to change every other interval, does the dealer leave the filter on every other time? Saving them 5$ per change every other time?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'm trying to get 20,000 miles on a Fram Ultra using multiple OCI's.

It can do it according to my experience. Bigger question is is it restictive from the satrt like one of mine seems to have been.

Originally Posted by Ablebody
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'm trying to get 20,000 miles on a Fram Ultra using multiple OCI's.

It can do it according to my experience. Bigger question is is it restictive from the satrt like one of mine seems to have been.

No, it's not flow restrictive according to data from Motorking (Fram Rep) - LINK

Around 5 PSI delta-p with 9+ GPM of hot oil flow. That's pretty much as low as oil filters get in terms of delta-p vs flow with hot oil. If you read the link I gave, there are more details.

XG10060
Flow - (PSID)
3 - (1.7)
6 - (3.0)
8 - (4.1)
9.7 - (5.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back