Pennzoil ultra platinum vs platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered 5 jugs of ultra platinum from walmart.com with 2 day free shipping for 25 each. Regular platinum and the high mileage variation are 22.40 in store. Which is the better deal? Also ive used all 3 and the ultra platinum is darker meaning more additives?

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Can't go wrong with ultra Plat. Penn. in my opinion

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Spitter
I just ordered 5 jugs of ultra platinum from walmart.com with 2 day free shipping for 25 each. Regular platinum and the high mileage variation are 22.40 in store. Which is the better deal? Also ive used all 3 and the ultra platinum is darker meaning more additives?

Did you used to be on here under another name?
Something seems very familiar.
Maybe it's just me.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Originally Posted By: Spitter

Did you used to be on here under another name?
Something seems very familiar.
Maybe it's just me.

It’s not just you. I think there is a whole group of reinarcates and clones here.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
It's a great oil if you don't need D1G2. I've got a shelf full of jugs of it.

BING BING BING....We have a winner!!!

I sure made the mistake I ordered 2 of the Ultra think Pennzoil had their stuff together with gen 2 on the Ultra....WRONG!! I have a new 2018 Hyundai Kona Limited coming Monday Tuesday. and can't use it. So I bought Mobil 1 Extended 5w-30 for my break-in. The minute I get home I will dump the oil/filter that Hyundai has in it. Said to be semi-synthetic from my research, and add a Fram Ultra.

My after break-in will be either Amsoil 0w-30 SS or Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended with 1 Qt Redline 0w-40. I will be dumping at 800 miles on the first Mobil 1 Ext then 3,000 miles next run.

The Pennzoil Ultra will have to be left for the wife's Rav4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
It’s not just you. I think there is a whole group of reinarcates and clones here.

It is currently overrun.

But the "darker means more additives" is a good one, gotta admit that.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: PimTac

It is currently overrun.

But the "darker means more additives" is a good one, gotta admit that.

Yea I got a chuckle from that as well.

Originally Posted By: Mainia

I sure made the mistake I ordered 2 of the Ultra think Pennzoil had their stuff together with gen 2 on the Ultra....WRONG!! I have a new 2018 Hyundai Kona Limited coming Monday Tuesday. and can't use it. So I bought Mobil 1 Extended 5w-30 for my break-in. The minute I get home I will dump the oil/filter that Hyundai has in it. Said to be semi-synthetic from my research, and add a Fram Ultra.

My after break-in will be either Amsoil 0w-30 SS or Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended with 1 Qt Redline 0w-40. I will be dumping at 800 miles on the first Mobil 1 Ext then 3,000 miles next run.

You are doing yourself no favors by dumping the factory fill.
There is nothing wrong with the factory oil for a few thousand miles.
I'm sure you have your reasons, please respond if you don't mind.

I commend you for being able to decipher that post. I was not able to do so.

Mania, that is a ridiculous break in plan. Seems like you won't break anything in except your wallet. Totally unnecessary, total overkill. Keep the FF in there at least 3,500 miles. I also don't agree with mixing in the Redline, keep it simple and just go with a major brand 5w30, synthetic of course. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Mania, that is a ridiculous break in plan. Seems like you won't break anything in except your wallet. Totally unnecessary, total overkill. Keep the FF in there at least 3,500 miles. I also don't agree with mixing in the Redline, keep it simple and just go with a major brand 5w30, synthetic of course. Good luck.

Think I agree? In all that is:
PP/PUP & Amsoil not OEM approved for the 2018 and does M1 have approvals ?

The Hyundai factory fill is no where near a Honda or Mazda Sky active moly infused wonder.(HA HA) This sub SUV is a 1.6 turbo and I break all my motors in hard. I did some racing and engine building in my younger years. "Load those rings" I have a thing on seeing slight glitter in my oil that the filter doesn't trap the lower micron particulates.

There is always one lifting their nose and has no comprehension skills. Another liberal snob who tells use all his ..don't stink, he is good.

So yes, I need D1G2 when peak torque is reached at 1,500 to 4,500 LSPI is a concern with this motor because of very very early full boost.

The Hyundai factory fill is no where near a Honda or Mazda Sky active moly infused wonder.(HA HA) This sub SUV is a 1.6 turbo and I break all my motors in hard. I did some racing and engine building in my younger years. "Load those rings" I have a thing on seeing slight glitter in my oil that the filter doesn't trap the lower micron particulates.

There is always one lifting their nose and has no comprehension skills. Another liberal snob who tells use all his ..don't stink, he is good.

So yes, I need D1G2 when peak torque is reached at 1,500 to 4,500 LSPI is a concern with this motor because of very very early full boost.

Advice from an independent (since you invoked “liberals”)
The best and brightest engineers at OEM car companies don’t keep jobs based on how they vote. In several decades of management I know hundreds of 3.8+GPA engineers … many climbed the ladder, so let’s keep “feelings” aside.
A number of my past/current engineers race and off road and build/buy engines (privilege of that GPA & resultant job) … but they break in their family car/SUV/CUV per the OEM plans …

Mainia, you should start your own thread instead of derailing this one as you have done.

Who were you before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back