Castrol Magnatec (US) - updated PDS out this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all,

For my first post, I thought I'd let Castrol fans know that new PDS's dated this week are up on the Castrol US website, at least for GTX Magnatec 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30. Aside from the news that all three now meet both D1G2 and the new SN Plus specs, the company has actually provided NOACK numbers:
0W-20 - 11.8
5W-20 - 9.7
5W-30 - 8.9 (not bad, even for GDI and T-GDI engines)

FWIW, I have been using GTX Magnatec in my port-injected '17 Elantra SE since I dumped the factory fill at 1,800 miles. Two runs of about 3,000 miles each (new car warranty requirements, you know), first on 5W-20 D1 and now on 5W-30 D1G2, with OEM filter. It has been very quiet and smooth on both, and overall gas mileage has been right in line with EPA estimates - no small accomplishment on our chronically clogged and torn up Pittsburgh area roads, which is basically all the car ever sees.

I'm really happy with it, and for the price for a 5 quart jug at Wally World, I think it's pretty hard to beat for a not-very-demanding, old-dirt driver who wants to use a modern full synthetic without having to tap the 401(k) to do it.

Enough rambling for a first-time BITOGer...

Thanks for posting. First major brand 0w-20 I've seen that claims an HTHS over 2.7 (TDS says 2.75). Going the extra decimal point is interesting. Middling Noack but still looks like a good choice.

I have some 5w30 going in my Tacoma in a couple of weeks. The specification for the 10w30 is awesome too but it is currently unobtainable for a decent price. Maybe a new run will be hitting retailers.

Anyone know if the oil formulation was changed or if the existing mix just passed the tests? I’ve got 30qts of the “full” synthetic 5W-30 in my garage and curious if it meets these latest standards.

Originally Posted By: Onug
Anyone know if the oil formulation was changed or if the existing mix just passed the tests? I’ve got 30qts of the “full” synthetic 5W-30 in my garage and curious if it meets these latest standards.

I believe it should have changed, since Magnatec had high Ca and little or no Mg.

Originally Posted By: CT8
GP III oils.

Not a surprise. It's priced below Edge.

Op, thanks for info. Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

I believe it should have changed, since Magnatec had high Ca and little or no Mg.

I’m thinking the same thing. Guess we will have to wait for the first analysis with the new designation.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

I’m thinking the same thing. Guess we will have to wait for the first analysis with the new designation.

At the end of the day, the VOA doesn’t really matter. What matters is the d1g2 license and label on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: wemay
GP III oils.

Is Castrol Edge better base stock than Group III?

First off,
welcome2.gif
!!! So what if Magnatec is a Grp 3 product? After seeing KJ Smiths’ UOAs on his Ecoboost truck taken at nearly 10k miles, I’d say this Grp 3 oil is just fine for our consumption. I’m using it in the wife’s EB Expedition. One thing about it though, it has a smell to it that makes it seem to be rich with additives. Any other Magnatec users notice that?

Originally Posted By: double vanos
First off,
welcome2.gif
!!! So what if Magnatec is a Grp 3 product? After seeing KJ Smiths’ UOAs on his Ecoboost truck taken at nearly 10k miles, I’d say this Grp 3 oil is just fine for our consumption. I’m using it in the wife’s EB Expedition. One thing about it though, it has a smell to it that makes it seem to be rich with additives. Any other Magnatec users notice that?

Agreed

Originally Posted By: SR5
Welcome !!!
Castrol Magnatec is one of the best bang-for-your-buck oils out there.

Exactly. Considering the stellar analysis reports we’ve seen here, I wonder about the value of Edge except in extended oci instances with the Gold bottle.

These numbers are wrong.
5w30 has 100c viscosity of 10.46 and 10w30 is 11.6 cst

As per the Castrol site currently

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: wemay
GP III oils.

Is Castrol Edge better base stock than Group III?

Says on the Safety Data Sheet that Edge is hydrotreated basestock, so it’s also Group III. I see Edge as being a poor value compared to say Pennzoil Platinum with its GTL basestock or even Mobil 1 EP for maybe a few dollars more that contains PAO/Group IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back