Honda 0w-20 quarts at dealers - Dexos 1 Gen 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Honda 0w-20 full synthetic quarts at the dealers are Dexos 1 gen 2 by any chance?

thee parts counter does not know and it's not labeled as such. Since it's not a GM dealer that doesn't surprise me a lot but trying to find out.

I'm pretty sure the dealer will continue selling old stock until it's gone....if it doesn't say Dexos gen2 then it probably isn't.

Not listed on GM website gonna say no but doesn’t mean it wouldn’t pass just not tested.

Yes, I'd agree with Gokhan. I'm not sure why Honda would be interested in obtaining a GM certification, unless it was simply a rebottled motor oil that already was so licensed.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, I'd agree with Gokhan. I'm not sure why Honda would be interested in obtaining a GM certification, unless it was simply a rebottled motor oil that already was so licensed.

I was wanting to ask since it was said elsewhere that a GDI Turbo could possibly benefit from a dexos 1 gen 2 oil.

Yes, that may certainly be. I wouldn't feel constrained by any desire for an OEM motor oil, or, contrary to that, feel a push to get something else. My first concern would be with cost, within reason. I'd like to think that Honda, when calling for someone to produce motor oil for them, takes these things into consideration, but I'd have no evidence of that.

I don't think any of us yet know the ideal oil for a TGDI.
wink.gif
Of course, it's always hard to argue against an oil that meets the viscosity and service category requirements for the engine, be it an oil from a major (and with dexos1 generation 2) or the OEM marketed oil.

It's not even full-synthetic, right? Why not get an M1 0W-20 or M1 EP 0W-20, which is full-synthetic, dexos1 Gen 2, and cheaper, also with a good blend of PAO as a bonus. You can use 5W-30 if you aren't comfortable with 0W-20 in a TGDI engine.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
It's not even full-synthetic, right? Why not get an M1 0W-20 or M1 EP 0W-20, which is full-synthetic, dexos1 Gen 2, and cheaper, also with a good blend of PAO as a bonus. You can use 5W-30 if you aren't comfortable with 0W-20 in a TGDI engine.

The honda 0w-20 the dealer has is full synthetic. I did check the m1 0w-20 and it doesn't list gen 2 from what I could find. It was going to be a choice with a m1 110a but after seeing the gen 2 might be better I steered away. I don't know enough about 0w-20 in a TGDI engine to be wary. Only what I'm starting to see here in the last few days.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, that may certainly be. I wouldn't feel constrained by any desire for an OEM motor oil, or, contrary to that, feel a push to get something else. My first concern would be with cost, within reason. I'd like to think that Honda, when calling for someone to produce motor oil for them, takes these things into consideration, but I'd have no evidence of that.

I don't think any of us yet know the ideal oil for a TGDI.
wink.gif
Of course, it's always hard to argue against an oil that meets the viscosity and service category requirements for the engine, be it an oil from a major (and with dexos1 generation 2) or the OEM marketed oil.

The dealer has an offer for a honda filter a01, crush washer and 5 qts of 0w-20 full syn for 32.50 plus tax. I originally was going to go for that or m1 afe with a m1-110a. Since neither showed the dexos gen 2 I put them on the back burner.

so you are saying the honda or afe even though not gen 2 would be perfectly fine with what we know right now then?

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe
The dealer has an offer for a honda filter a01, crush washer and 5 qts of 0w-20 full syn for 32.50 plus tax. I originally was going to go for that or m1 afe with a m1-110a. Since neither showed the dexos gen 2 I put them on the back burner.

so you are saying the honda or afe even though not gen 2 would be perfectly fine with what we know right now then?

For $32.50 for even a bulk full synthetic is pretty unbeatable unless you're brand loyal. Although I did pick up some Castrol 0W-20 Extended Protection a few weeks back for $17 a jug.

Last edited:
Also, doesn't Honda 0W-20 have a calcium detergent? Oils with calcium detergents aren't supposed to be used in TGDI engines according to the Oronite website.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

For $32.50 for even a bulk full synthetic is pretty unbeatable unless you're brand loyal. Although I did pick up some Castrol 0W-20 Extended Protection a few weeks back for $17 a jug.

it's a service 'special' via coupon on their website. Has no expiration date.

The new M1 stock is dexos1 Gen 2 I believe. Check the logo on the jug.

Must not be 'new' stock at both the walmarts and a Sam's club then. They just say 'approved' not 'approved gen 2' like the PU does.

Honda won’t bother with getting a GM spec, especially as it would have to pay GM a per quart fee for the privilege.

But, watch for Honda-branded oil’s being labeled as “SN Plus” beginning this May. This should have an LSPI-preventing additive package equivalent to d1G2 oils and some of the other benefits as well. OEMs have been clamoring for SN Plus and it would be very surprising if Honda didn’t reformulate their branded oils.

Fresh Honda oil on the shelf now could be SN Plus, but the actual designation can’t be used until May. Pennzoil notes that while its oils are yet branded as such they are “ SN Plus-Ready”.

The new M1 stock is dexos1 Gen 2 I believe. Check the logo on the jug.

Must not be 'new' stock at both the walmarts and a Sam's club then. They just say 'approved' not 'approved gen 2' like the PU does.

I have been keeping an eye out for d1G2 M1 0W30 AFE at WM for some time and the jugs at my nearby WMs were still d1 as of a few weeks ago...the 0W20 jugs have been d1G2 for quite some time, though. I believe that AFE is still the only 0W30 on the d1G2 list...

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Why would Honda list a GM spec?

Yeah, exactly. We're not going to see d1G2 Motorcraft oil, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back