Magnatec 10w40 after 9500 kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil today on my Mazda 323 ,B3 engine,after running 9500 kms on Magnatec .Oil was pitch black and dead thin.Expected more from a premium oil in a simple engine ? Only 8 months since the last change.Was hoping to do 15000kms on that fill however the lifter noise made me change earlier .

Was this the first time using magnetec. What was used before? It could be magnetec was cleaning old sludge and possibly got some fuel dilutin that made it thin.

With any new oil change, give it a few changes and see if it gets better.

My wifes new to us 07 sienna with 25k miles did the same to us with penzoil platinum. First change wasblack and thin as [censored]. New two got better buy the fourth one, it was still pancake syrup brown/clear after 5k and then s i started pushing it to 8k. Nowadays i stick with 5k since oil is so cheap and oc are easy for me.

Last edited:
All oils thin out in my engine when they get near the recommended OCI mileage. Maybe it is something peculiar and particular to your engine. Don't rule that out.

It was the first time on Magnatec .Car has done 255000kms on Shell/Total 20w50 oils .Fuel dilution is a point as its only driven (many) short distances

Black & thin generally means fuel dilution. Anybody in SA do UOAs? If it never gets cold there, 20W50 could handle more fuel without getting thin, it was an old standby in my younger days of leaky carburetors (Castrol GTX).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matt97
Oil was pitch black and dead thin.

It will probably seem pretty thin compared to the 20W-50 you are used to.

You would need fuel dilution and also viscosity tests from an oil lab to tell you "more than what meets the eye"

Oil analysis is generally only done by suppliers for big fleets,price for a one off test is prohibitive. Tend to agree with fuel dilution as its a carb engine running many stop starts.

The service manual calls for a 20w50 oil changed at 10000km intervals. Old engine design, first in use in the late eighties

We just changed Magnatec 5w20 that was extremely black and thick at only 4K miles. Engine has but 45K.
Same oil before and after … but bought some QSUD and will give it a bit of chemical change after this ...
Odd part in seeing it so thick was a fuel smell … 3.6L Pentastar … generally pretty mild on oil - but this car is very much a short tripper …

Depends on the engine and use I guess. I have Magnatec in my Lincoln right now, second OCI of it. It's at over 8k miles and is dark honey colored and nothing seems odd about the consistency. But that vehicle is driven a lot, with a lot of highway commute miles, and the engine is clean.

That's the full syn 5w30 though so not exactly the same oil as the OP's either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back