94 Land Cruiser--Energy Conserving II (or not....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
94 Land Cruiser with 239K miles. Unknown lineage and care from 0-217K miles. Has a rebuilt head on it. Consumes some oil. I've used regular Castrol 10w30.

The manual calls for 10w30 "Energy Conserving II" oil. I don't think that's around any more. That being said, is energy conserving something i should use? (for instance, in another request for an 05 Subaru turbo, non-energy conserving oil was suggested).

Rotella T5 can be had in 10w30 in non energy conserving. Any good for this use? Or, thinking of moving to Castrol Edge 10w30, for no other reason than I seem to have good luck with Castrol. But, I'm open to any suggestions.

Also, I've read on here to use Toyota filters. I have no problem with this--but would they be better than Fram Ultra Guard?

This rig is used on some decent trails in Colorado, but is stock.

Oil change intervals have not really been established under my ownership.

Also--high mileage oil? Again, the head is new

That’ll run great on just about any modern name-brand 30 or 40-weight.

I’d probably use Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 to see if it’ll help with the burning a bit.

The whole concept of an energy conserving oil in the context of a Toyota Land Crusher has to bring peals of laughter.
I'd use any good 10W-30 you can pick up cheaply.
Delo dual rated HDEO 10W-30 is now on clearance at Wally's for around seven bucks a gallon jug and this would be a good pick for this machine.

My 93 land cruiser loved mobil 1 10w30. I went 6K intervals back then. Today I would go 10k.

Surprised it uses oil, unless it was severely neglected. The 1fze (I think by memory) is a great engine.

Loved mine, wish I never sold it. I put in an Old Man Emu lift, and it had full factory lockers. Went anywhere. The Maroon Beast. Incredible engineering.

When was the last time the PCV valve was replaced with an OEM unit? That is the first thing that should be replaced if no oil leaks are visible and oil consumption has increased.

239K on the bottom end, I'd be all over a xW-40. HDEO is prolly the best way to go. Since trails are mostly s spring/summer/fall thing, I'd be onto 15W-40 Delo, Delvac, etc.

Throw a full can of BG109 in about 100 miles before the change. Should help slow the oil consumption some
smile.gif

The oil is going by the rings. They may be stuck some. A piston soak would be in order before any hard use.

I'd be more interested in "engine conserving oil", that any political sound bite stuff ...

Last edited:
I think these engines pretty much take anything. I believe the trucks in Australia spec 20w-50

I've been running M1 0w-40 for the past 12 years or so

I would think in CO a 5Wxx would be better in winter, if nothing else, easier cranking.

New head, that won't need "high" mileage oil. Might want to change once or twice, in case of any residual coolant that got into the oil, but the head shouldn't have an impact on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back