Boutique oil vs. Major oil company's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does RP really have better motor oils when a small company could never have the money for RD like Exxon,BP,Shell.....etc?
My guess that M1 would be superior oil to RP or lucas or any smaller oil company products.....

Well, they most likely buy their base stocks from the big companies, but who knows, when it comes to additives.

I'm sure they are great, but I'll stick with Mobil 1.

Most things in life you get what you pay for. Amsoil, if you run it for 12,000 miles plus may be a bargain oil or change once a year etc but since most of the motoring world in the US goes for much shorter OCIs the boutique oils simply do not make sense from a $$ perspective. Almost any new engine out there today will go 200,000 miles with just changing the oil at reasonable intervals with whatever meets spec. When I had kids in college and saw their car once or twice a year or so Amsoil was great for me, not so anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Well, they most likely buy their base stocks from the big companies, but who knows, when it comes to additives.

They do … but then Amsoil might turn around and use more SpectraSyn than even the producer (XOM) does at least in the Signature Series product line ~ IMO if you are not getting SS than it’s just more like the rest
I like a couple niche products from Amsoil/Redline but don’t need the motor oil …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spector
Most things in life you get what you pay for. Amsoil, if you run it for 12,000 miles plus may be a bargain oil or change once a year etc but since most of the motoring world in the US goes for much shorter OCIs the boutique oils simply do not make sense from a $$ perspective. Almost any new engine out there today will go 200,000 miles with just changing the oil at reasonable intervals with whatever meets spec. When I had kids in college and saw their car once or twice a year or so Amsoil was great for me, not so anymore.

NOPE.

Plenty of long life oils on the shelf at Walmart without paying Amsoil's prices; ordering online or through their pyramid scheme rep system.

Mobil 1 EP, AP, Castrol EP, or any A3/B4 or A5/B5.

With Red Line and Amsoil SSO, you probably are getting what you pay for in terms of the basestock blends used and the add packs.
Red Line in particular is heavy on moly, the costliest of adds.
OTOH if you don't really need the performance advantages that these oils may offer, then you're really not gaining anything in exchange for the marginal cost.
Still, the cost of oil represents such a small part of the overall cost of running any IC vehicle that anyone wanting to scratch a boutique oil itch may as well do it.

Wish I could get SS for the special Stevie rate … but will have to stick with oils from Walmart/eBay

No need to buy a boutique oil for me. I can do better at WMT and save money in the process, and if I spend more than $25 online they'll ship it free.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wish I could get SS for the special Stevie rate … but will have to stick with oils from Walmart/eBay

I beat the special Stevie rate by a good margin with a CL find.
How about 17.5 quarts of SS 0W-20 for $45.00?
A family moving to the northwest from Columbus was selling off all kinds of things and I was getting to Columbus pretty regularly at the time.
I used to find great deals on oil on CL, but not so much these days.

Noticed last night that my local WM is definitely not carrying RP in jugs anymore, didn't even look at the quarts so they might still have those.

I am fascinated by the latest Amsoil SS XW30 offerings, not sure if I will ever actually try one. Not so worried about cost for something I only do 4 times a year for my own car, but I'm not sure if I like the high SA numbers.

I bought 3 jugs of RP they had marked down to 25.00 and a few quarts for 6.00 ? I think. It was the same price as M1 so I figured i would run it in my 06 4.6 Mustang this summer and see if I can hear any diff in RP vs M!. RP use to be 37.00 at WM so getting pulled off the self will hurt them im sure. WM was clearing out some Penn and castor also....in fact it looked like panic buy on the shelves......wonder whats going on. Im Sure M1 sells the best and then Penn and vavoline and castor....plus their brand, I guess they are making room for what sells.

Last edited:
Some effective marketing and some preceived needs and the boutique oil market blooms. The best thing the Botique oil insdustry offers is the specialty products. At best they mostly offer a 20 foot ladder to climb out of a 6 foot hole. The question that needs to asked is will we actually benefit from the Botique oil use? Most are really high quality products. We will use Amsoil for example [the oil we love to bash] Can any one prove their products aren't of the highest quality? I do not use Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Does RP really have better motor oils when a small company could never have the money for RD like Exxon,BP,Shell.....etc?
My guess that M1 would be superior oil to RP or lucas or any smaller oil company products.....

Who is RP?

Many smaller companies hire professional consultants to assist them with their formulations.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan

There are only a handfull of oil additive producers in the world. Thecostof developing the blends and testing must be staggering.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
That purple dye is expensive!
The dye is well worth it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Who is RP?

Many smaller companies hire professional consultants to assist them with their formulations.

Royal Purple

I'll stick with any of the majors full synthetics on sale with a rebate. Boutique oil has no place here.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Who is RP?

Remington Peters of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back