Oil for 06 Impala that burns oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you found an oil that works better in engines that burn oil?

06 Impala 3.5L 50K miles. PCV is not replaceable and has been cleaned. No external oil leaks.

It doesnt use alot of oil, but its wifes work car, she travels alot, and doesnt/wont/cannot be trusted to check oil level on regular basis.

Current oil is Farm and Fleet 5w-30 (made by Citgo) has the dexos cert. No clue what oil was previously used, but it burned at the same rate on the OCI that I got the car. Probably a dino, OCI was done at an independant shop before I got the car.

What do ya think? Thanks

I'd try some Valvoline Maxlife next. It worked well in a car in an older, high mileage car that I used to change the oil on.

2006 Impala with just 50,000 miles on the odometer with no external leaks. I have a 2007 3.5 Flex Fuel that I inherited and now has 63,700 on the odometer with no external leaks but have noticed that it will burn half a quart of oil or less when I do extended oil changes past 8000 miles. I am currently running 5W-30 Castrol Magnatec and my jump up to 10W-30 on next oil change. Since there are no leaks not really sure what to tell you as there are others here with much more knowledge than I.

How much oil are you talking?
A quart in 1000? A quart in 3000?
As far as her checking the level, I believe the Impalas have an oil level sensor that lets you know in the DIC when you're a quart down. Just a thought... (I mean, I'd still check it but if you have that as a backup, it helps.)

Originally Posted By: TmanP
As far as her checking the level, I believe the Impalas have an oil level sensor that lets you know in the DIC when you're a quart down. Just a thought... (I mean, I'd still check it but if you have that as a backup, it helps.)

Its about 2200-2400 miles a quart.

This car does not have any oil level sensor on the DIC. First time I drained the oil it only had 2.5 qts in it. But I went through DIC and found nothing for oil or tire psi.

Ideally I'd like to do 8k-10k oil changes with a max of 1 qt make up in the middle.

IDK anything about MaxLife. Is it an oil I can run 8k OCI?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Originally Posted By: TmanP

Its about 2200-2400 miles a quart.

This car does not have any oil level sensor on the DIC. First time I drained the oil it only had 2.5 qts in it. But I went through DIC and found nothing for oil or tire psi.

Ideally I'd like to do 8k-10k oil changes with a max of 1 qt make up in the middle.

IDK anything about MaxLife. Is it an oil I can run 8k OCI?

Thanks!

With make-up oil, yes...

citgo is a good oil I have been traveling up to Blaine's in Sturtavant Nowack volatility was good it has a good add pack for 1.79 a qt we have been running it in a hyundai with 281 k on it and in my daughters 3.0L vulcan motor in her Taurus with great results

I would run a 5 k oci and add a quart half way through.

8-10 k with something going on inside that motor might be a stretch IMHO

75w90.
lol.gif

I will give Maxlife a try. But I will stick with 5w-30 in winter. I will probably give 10w-30 or even a 40 a shot in summer.

Yeah I agree with 5w in the Wisconsin winter. People may not realize this but it can get to -20 to -30°F in the northern and northwestern parts of Wisconsin. That is not all that uncommon in those areas north and west of Wausau. Lots of snow on the ground, very little wind, plus high pressure overhead, and a clear sky and there you go.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah I agree with 5w in the Wisconsin winter. People may not realize this but it can get to -20 to -30°F in the northern and northwestern parts of Wisconsin. That is not all that uncommon in those areas north and west of Wausau. Lots of snow on the ground, very little wind, plus high pressure overhead, and a clear sky and there you go.

Heck it can get -20* in southern WI.

All the 3.5 V6 Impalas I run use oil, but they don't burn and leave oily sotty plugs
or oily exhaust pipes or blue smoke! Go figure!

I suspect that the small PCV lines off each bank of the engine aggressively suck
lots of oil as vapour into the intake based on the dirty throttle body, etc

Until it puffs blue smoke, this may be the way they come from GM. At one point I may
jump up one grade of oil thicker, but effective lube of the pistons could be an issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back