Mobil Super 5K

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighborhood Walmart hasn't carried it for almost a year now. For those that do, it's a good deal for sure.

Really?? Wow. That's a bit surprising.

One would think that a $14 5 qt container would be a decent seller there.

Not that surprised really ... In my area, people usually go with Pennzoil or Castrol when it comes to conventional oil. That's also what the garages here stock, along with auto parts store brand oil ... none of them carry Mobil Super 5000. Also, Quaker State Conventional is in the $14 range at WM, and I would choose that over Mobil Super 5000.

It seems like Walmart store managers must have some leeway in deciding on which oils are stocked because one of the Walmarts here has completely cleared it out while the other Walmart continues to stock it.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Not that surprised really ... In my area, people usually go with Pennzoil or Castrol when it comes to conventional oil. That's also what the garages here stock, along with auto parts store brand oil ... none of them carry Mobil Super 5000. Also, Quaker State Conventional is in the $14 range at WM, and I would choose that over Mobil Super 5000.

Moreover, O'Reilly Auto Parts and AutoZone already cleared out Mobil Super 5000 as well.

Why wasn't Mobil Super 5000 more popular ? Was it because of lack of advertising ?

Don't people know that advertising doesn't make the oil any better ?

They're paying more for the advertising.

I'll tell you what I do: I'll buy a bottle of Mobil Super 5000 and advertise it to myself by sitting it next to the computer. That way I'm getting plenty of advertising without paying extra for it.
laugh.gif

WM has been reducing the stock of MS5K in my area for a while now. It is good oil and can stand toe to toe with any other brand.

I had no issues with it - here's a UOA after a 6k+ run in my son's Chrysler 200S:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4465987/Mobil_Super_5K_5W-20,_2015_Pen#Post4465987

Today's High power density engines seem to cry out for synthetic - if you use that available power.
If you drive like grandma and keep revs under 3K then you'll get by with group II blends

If you have a Subaru EJ253 you'll get by with grp II blends. Used Mobil Clean 5k a decade ago with decent results in Subarus.

Last edited:
2013 PQIA lis of oils

Based on the last PQIA VOA's, Mobil 5K conventional is a sodium oil, essentially VWB with a tad more calcium and more viscosity. Seems like an odd choice to be in Mobil's camp. I never quite understood it. Maybe other consumers don't understand it either. I ran it for one OCI a few years ago...until I figured out it was a Na oil.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Based on the last PQIA VOA's, Mobil 5K conventional is a sodium oil, essentially VWB with a tad more calcium and more viscosity. Seems like an odd choice to be in Mobil's camp. I never quite understood it. Maybe other consumers don't understand it either. I ran it for one OCI a few years ago...until I figured out it was a Na oil.

Why would you quit? What makes it bad that you'd stop using it?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
2013 PQIA lis of oils

Yes, it is a sodium oil with a small amount of titanium .... It lacks moly and boron. I don't believe this used to be the case when it was Mobil Clean 5000.

Wasn't this the same oil that outperformed Pennzoil Ultra and a few other oil in someone's f-150 a while back in a few long intervals?

Mobil Super 5000 is what I stock for my customers who want a conventional oil change and their cars don't spec Dexos or other required specs. It's a very good oil for under $15 a jug. They still stock it at my Walmart.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
It's a very good oil for under $15 a jug.

The question is though -- is it better than Chevron Supreme ?
smile.gif

BIL got 400k out of a GM 5.3L on MS bulk … traded the truck on new GMC …
It’s good enough … probably switching that process line to 3rd party labels …

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
It's a very good oil for under $15 a jug.

The question is though -- is it better than Chevron Supreme ?
smile.gif

No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back