Newer GM 6.2L Ecotec motor oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend just picked up a Yukon Denali, MY 15 I think and we were discussing his upcoming maintenance items and his plans.

His other POV is a Ford SD Diesel so he was seeking advise in what oil to use for the new motor in his life. I hadn't seen much on it and said I'd look some for him, well after some searching I still can't find much.

It's spec'ed for 8 qts of 0w20Dexos, I'd originally thought that since Dexos2 is a thing now that picking off that list would be a good start, but there are no 0 or 5w20's on it currently. Dexos2 list

Is there anyone out there with first hand or relevant knowledge and advise on what oil to pick? Perhaps some UOA's? I looked here as well but didn't see much of anything.

Thanks in advance to anyone providing useful insight based on facts and experience.

The dexos2 list you are looking at is for diesel engines only.
You want dexos1 Gen2 oil, of which you can use any dexos1 Gen2 0w20 at walmart, or you can use dexos1 Gen1 Mobil1 oils. I have a GM 2018 vehicle that uses 0w20 and it says the old generation of dexos1 Gen1 Mobil1 oils are OK to use too, so if you see old stock Mobil1 oils on the shelf, they are OK to buy.
If you mail order dexos1 oil say from Amazon.com for example, right now they might just send you dexos1 Gen1 oil, so be careful there.
The reason you probably want dexos1 Gen2 oil is that its been tested to be a little better than the last generation. Timing chain wear, an extra oxidation test, and LSPI tests. So the latest generation is a little better if you can find it, which is quite easy on the shelf, just look for the words "Gen2" on the front logo label.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The dexos2 list you are looking at is for diesel engines only.
You want dexos1 Gen2 oil, of which you can use any dexos1 Gen2 0w20 at walmart, or you can use dexos1 Gen1 Mobil1 oils. I have a GM 2018 vehicle that uses 0w20 and it says the old generation of dexos1 Gen1 Mobil1 oils are OK to use too, so if you see old stock Mobil1 oils on the shelf, they are OK to buy.
If you mail order dexos1 oil say from Amazon.com for example, right now they might just send you dexos1 Gen1 oil, so be careful there.
The reason you probably want dexos1 Gen2 oil is that its been tested to be a little better than the last generation. Timing chain wear, an extra oxidation test, and LSPI tests. So the latest generation is a little better if you can find it, which is quite easy on the shelf, just look for the words "Gen2" on the front logo label.

Thanks for pointing out the Diesel list, it seemed a little off but I couldn't put my finger on it-strange how it was the top and only result to the list that popped up on google.

If I replace Walmart from your reply with Meijer ( we are Meijer friendly folks, not so with WM) that is exactly what he and I both plan on doing for our oil supplies.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment of the rest of your post and advice, I'd still really like some first hand experience or some actual UOA's to back up any opinions given.

6.2L + ECOTEC + on a Yukon - that's funny!
Sorry I have nothing to add

Oil will be way understressed, you could likely run, gasp Motorcraft 5w20 in there
smile.gif

Do these blocks use a canister system now?

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php is the only real basic study of iron wear rates I know of. And they basically concluded there is no real difference between name-brand oils on iron wear rates.
The info on bitog is spotty and not enough to draw conclusions.
One big thing that UOA's don't tell you: Piston deposits. Pennzoil has claimed they do very well on limiting the black stuff that collects on pistons. If they are correct, then stick with Pennzoil synthetic 0w20. Note piston deposits are invisible to owners and UOA's alike. But of course Pennzoil didn't compare its oils to the top oils like Mobil1 Extended Performance and Mobil1 Annual Protection. If you're looking for the best stuff, the Mobil1 Annual Protection is the latest technology from Exxon-Mobil, so its a good bet.
Fram Ultra oil filters are very hard to beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
6.2L + ECOTEC + on a Yukon - that's funny!
Sorry I have nothing to add

Oil will be way understressed, you could likely run, gasp Motorcraft 5w20 in there
smile.gif

Do these blocks use a canister system now?

Funny-HaHa or funny Strange? Guess I don't get it...

Canister as in the type on top of the motor where you just change the element? No

They're specing 0W-20 in GM V8s now?!? Ecotech LOL.

I have a 2014 MY 6.2 LS3 that specs 5W-30 on the road and 15W-50 on the track. I let the dealer do four free oil changes and they used AC Delco brand semi-syn. Since I started doing them, it gets M1 and Wix filters.

My 2007 5.3 is the junkyard dog. It uses up all my leftovers, conventional, synthetic, 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40 and goes 8,000 mile intervals. I use M1 High mileage 5W-30 and Wix when I want to be nice to it. (This is the Tahoe BTW).

I will never use 0W-20 in my GM V8s. The takeaway for you is, you can put just about anything slippery in there and it will work. Pick a weight and brand you're comfortable with, one that is readily available and competitively priced and go.

Last edited:
I dumped the factory fill at 1500 miles in favor of Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my wife's 2017 Yukon XL 6.2. Ran that down to 4% on the OLM which looks to be set for 7,500 mile oil changes and had the dealer change it for free. Not much other info at this point but I'll do an oil analysis once I'm done with the free oil changes.

The newer 6.2 of GM has AFM. Better use ONLY synthetic or Mobil 1 and you will not regret it.

Originally Posted By: modernmetal
My GM dealer used 5w-30 in mine and since GM has their own full synthetic as of the beginning of this year I opted to try it out (hard to beat at $60 for an 8 quart oil change plus tire rotation!) I got my Blackstone oil analysis back (after 5,000mi) on the Ecotec3 6.2 L. Posted last night. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4545919#Post4545919

Scratch that, I just contacted my dealer and even though they told me they used 5w-30, he looked up the records and it was actually 0w-20! Now my oil analysis looks a little bit better.

LOL...20wt in a large V8 with 403hp, 417tq...not if I owned it. Of course I would be putting that engine to work not just daily driving pavement queen so...

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
LOL...20wt in a large V8 with 403hp, 417tq...not if I owned it. Of course I would be putting that engine to work not just daily driving pavement queen so...

What weight would you use? With tight tolerances in new engines, I can't see how I can go wrong with the OEM recommendation of 0w-20, although, I could request 5w-30 and GM wouldn't care either way. I assume the 0w-20 is mostly for fuel economy...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back