What type of oil comes in a 2017 Silverado ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if the factory oil fill is conventional. semi synthetic or synthetic ? Think Im going to change the OEM filter at 500 miles and add 1 qt of oil

Originally Posted By: mtlineman
Wondering if the factory oil fill is conventional. semi synthetic or synthetic ? Think Im going to change the OEM filter at 500 miles and add 1 qt of oil

Probably some kind of DEXOS oil if it is in a new GM.

most probably a semi-syn meeting dexos1 gen2. ACDelco oil is a Mobil syn blend, so FF is likely the same.

There is no need to change the filter at 500 miles. Change it when the OLM tells you to, and cut it open for us to see
smile.gif

Yeah, AC-Delco semi-synthetic 0w20 is probably still supplied by Mobil oil, although Mobil does not market their own semi-synthetic with their own label on it. ..... dexos1, Gen1, although dexos1 Gen2 is beginning to be available. AC-Delco oil is available from non-dealership sources. I think O'Reilly's Autoparts or somebody else has it on their shelves.

I would just change the oil out, and filter too. Oil filters that come on new cars don't get out many iron particles less than 30 microns in size, so changing the oil filter would have very little effect on cleaning out the new engine's iron particles. Recommend getting a magnetic drain plug (Dimple brand, or GoldPlug http://goldplug.com/shop/ap04/ are strong magnets) to collect more iron particles. And a Fram Ultra oil filter gets out more smaller particles less than even 10 microns.

If you do change the oil filter you have, remember GM uses very small oil filters, and they don't actually hold a full quart. You could overfill the sump a bit if you add a full quart; likely a half quart will do there.

Originally Posted By: WillB
Change by miles, not the engine killer OLM.

500 miles is still way, way too early. And everybody's driving conditions differ, so the best OCI will also differ
smile.gif

Do they use the OLM in Canada?

If you want to change early, then change both the oil and filter. 500 miles is really early. There are two mindsets here on BITOG and both are correct. Either change early or wait until the prescribed time to change. The right answer for you is what helps you to sleep better at night. For the record I dump the FF at 1000 miles and go with my oil of choice.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
For the record I dump the FF at 1000 miles and go with my oil of choice.
Same for me followed by the axle(s) at 10K.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: PimTac
For the record I dump the FF at 1000 miles and go with my oil of choice.
Same for me followed by the axle(s) at 10K.
Same for me; follow the OLM after the 1,000 mile oil change, it is an excellent predictor of oil degradation, much better than guesses;.... axles at 50k, then never again for axles.

I changed FF on my 2016 at 1k miles both oil and filter. Then at 9k i changed both differentials, transfer case and transmission fluid. Was going to do it at 10k but i work a lot so 9k it was. lol.

My son has a 2017 GMC Yukon and has used the free oil changes from the dealer. Now that those have expired he plans to use M1 0-20.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yeah, AC-Delco semi-synthetic 0w20 is probably still supplied by Mobil oil, although Mobil does not market their own semi-synthetic with their own label on it. ..... dexos1, Gen1, although dexos1 Gen2 is beginning to be available. AC-Delco oil is available from non-dealership sources. I think O'Reilly's Autoparts or somebody else has it on their shelves.

I would just change the oil out, and filter too. Oil filters that come on new cars don't get out many iron particles less than 30 microns in size, so changing the oil filter would have very little effect on cleaning out the new engine's iron particles. Recommend getting a magnetic drain plug (Dimple brand, or GoldPlug http://goldplug.com/shop/ap04/ are strong magnets) to collect more iron particles. And a Fram Ultra oil filter gets out more smaller particles less than even 10 microns.

If you do change the oil filter you have, remember GM uses very small oil filters, and they don't actually hold a full quart. You could overfill the sump a bit if you add a full quart; likely a half quart will do there.

AC Delco is blended by Phillips 66.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Change by miles, not the engine killer OLM.

I have a 2017 Silverado with the 5.3. The OLM has got me to roughly 7000 miles twice with roughly 10% left. That seems pretty reasonable without pressing the oil any further. I have read on BITOG of some OLM stretching the change too far. This certainly doesn't seem the case with my 2017 and seems about the same with most other folks on here atleast with 2016 and 2017s. I will be following the OLM down to 10% myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back